The Downtown Disney Thread

mickEblu

I'm a little worried that they've pegged the new Porto's to be at the old LBB location; I can't imagine the traffic in that nexus of World of Disney, Porto's, trams, and the esplanade.

Maybe they plan on moving it back a bit into that space between it and Soarin? Seems like a bad location. Too small too.

Emmanuel

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.55.06 AM.png

My guess is that the outdoor patio for La Brea will eventually be replaced by another building for Portos and connect it to the existing building. And like @mickEblu said, they might end up taking a bit of backstage space from behind Soarin to expand to a footprint that Portos would want.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.58.24 AM.png

For comparison, heres an overhead shot of Portos in Buena Park just down the street from Knotts.

TP2000

Earl of Sandwich and Earl of Sandwich Tavern will be opening (in the former La Brea Bakery) in February -

"For those of you who crave delicious, handcrafted sandwiches, you will be delighted to learn that the fan-favorite Earl of Sandwich will be returning to the Downtown Disney District this February! Soon you can once again look forward to one of their hot sandwiches on artisan bread, with grab-and-go options at Earl of Sandwich or table service options at Earl of Sandwich Tavern, both of which will be temporarily located at the La Brea Bakery location. La Brea Bakery is exiting the restaurant business, and we thank them for two decades of partnership in the Downtown Disney District. Keep your eyes peeled for Earl of Sandwich opening in the coming weeks!"

Update on Porto's Bakery -

"And that’s not all for the east side of Downtown Disney District – as we previously shared at D23 Expo, Porto’s Bakery will be bringing their famous Cheese Rolls, California-Cuban cuisine and more to the district. Plans are underway to design and construct an all-new Porto’s location near the Esplanade on the footprint of the La Brea Bakery location. We look forward to sharing more about these exciting plans in the future."

Also new concept art for Din Tai Fung -

View attachment 691017

This announcement on the Parks Blog was utter crap. :mad:

It never once used the phrases "multi-cultural" or "lifestyle space" or "immersive". I don't even know why I should care about this mall if it's not an immersive multi-cultural lifestyle space. Where's my motivation? Why should I invest emotion into it?

Although, at least the author used the word "amazing" to describe three corporate chain restaurants going into this tourist mall. Amazing. The depth and breadth that word conveys is... amazing. The Parks Blog author is actually "amazed" at a few restaurants in a mall. Let that sink in, if you aren't too amazed at it.

a·maz·ing
adjective

causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing.

tcool123

This announcement on the Parks Blog was utter crap. :mad:

It never once used the phrases "multi-cultural" or "lifestyle space" or "immersive". I don't even know why I should care about this mall if it's not an immersive multi-cultural lifestyle space. Where's my motivation? Why should I invest emotion into it?

Although, at least the author used the word "amazing" to describe three corporate chain restaurants going into this tourist mall. Amazing. The depth and breadth that word conveys is... amazing. The Parks Blog author is actually "amazed" at a few restaurants in a mall. Let that sink in, if you aren't too amazed at it.

a·maz·ing
adjective
causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing.
I mean I see the appeal...for me not so much the rest of y'all! Plenty of recs for Portos, but didn't have enough time to go an try it. Now when I go to Disneyland the next time (whenever that may be) I could kill two birds with one stone depending on the time crunch. Don't know if that applies to many others, but works for me ;)

TP2000

Earl of Sandwich is seriously like Spirit of Halloween.

A store closes, and they can popup inside of it near instantly.

That's a great analogy! 🤣

But let's be honest here about Earl... it's just a sandwich shop. They aren't making elaborate French recipes or custom cuisine that requires trained chefs and special equipment. It's just mass-produced sandwiches and bags of chips. Plus some grab-n-go cookies and two self service Coke machines. Staffed by high school kids working minimum wage.

earl-of-sandwich-downtown-disney-california-grand-opening-6.jpg

You could offer that menu and level of service in a high school gym or a church basement if you wanted to. You don't need a special building or specially designed kitchen or anything beyond the basic health code requirements of refrigeration, hot water, clean prep surfaces, and those hot press machines that smoosh the sandwich on a grill.

And as we've seen lately, you don't even have to offer tables and chairs for people to sit on at Disneyland now. TDA invites you to sit on the ground while you eat your sandwich and ponder your next Lightning Lane purchase!

But that's just part of my bafflement over how much buzz Earl of Sandwich gets. People act like it's some incredible culinary experience that blesses any community it operates in, when it's just a sandwich shop.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sandwich shop, using quality ingredients. But it's just a sandwich. Don't forget to grab your chips! ;)

Last edited:

CaptinEO

That's a great analogy! 🤣

But let's be honest here about Earl... it's just a sandwich shop. They aren't making elaborate French recipes or custom cuisine that requires trained chefs and special equipment. It's just mass-produced sandwiches and bags of chips. Plus some grab-n-go cookies and two self service Coke machines. Staffed by high school kids working minimum wage.

earl-of-sandwich-downtown-disney-california-grand-opening-6.jpg

You could offer that menu and level of service in a high school gym or a church basement if you wanted to. You don't need a special building or specially designed kitchen or anything beyond the basic health code requirements of refrigeration, hot water, clean prep surfaces, and those hot press machines that smoosh the sandwich on a grill.

And as we've seen lately, you don't even have to offer tables and chairs for people to sit on at Disneyland now. TDA invites you to sit on the ground while you eat your sandwich and ponder your next Lightning Lane purchase!

But that's just part of my bafflement over how much buzz Earl of Sandwich gets. People act like it's some incredible culinary experience that blesses any community it operates in, when it's just a sandwich shop.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sandwich shop, using quality ingredients. But it's just a sandwich. Don't forget to grab your chips! ;)
People totally over rate Earl of Sandwhich.

They built one about a decade ago where I live and it went out of business in a few years. It's OK, but I feel this new category of "Disney Foodies" overreacts to everything on Disney property. There's a reason we don't have Earl of Sandwhiches, Naples, and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen everywhere, because it's just decent food that's overpriced.

TP2000

There's a reason we don't have Earl of Sandwhiches, Naples, and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen everywhere, because it's just decent food that's overpriced.

That's a great point! I hadn't thought of it like that before. 🤔

If you picked up the Jazz Kitchen and plopped it down at Fashion Island, or in La Jolla Village, or in Rancho Mirage, it would be closed within two years or less. It's mediocre food with mediocre service, at prices that don't deserve to be charged for either.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Went to Earl in DTD for lunch. Throughout the lunch hour there were always at least two dozen people waiting in line to get in- half of which were clearly Disney employees. lol

It's decent filling food for a less expensive price than anywhere else on property (currently $9 average for a sandwich though - like everything everywhere prices continue to rise). I was happy to have it back and enjoyed my sandwich, but it will be a periodic stop rather than a regular one - depending on whether I want to (over)spend more for slightly better food elsewhere or save my pennies on any given day.

TrainsOfDisney

This should be called the management cafeteria - everyone in front of me was a CM! Haha.

Interesting note - you can only get chips as a side, the other options have been covered up.

I must say, they have one of the best Caprese sandwiches I’ve ever gotten. So there is that.

Communicora

Premium Member

Stevek

People totally over rate Earl of Sandwhich.

They built one about a decade ago where I live and it went out of business in a few years. It's OK, but I feel this new category of "Disney Foodies" overreacts to everything on Disney property. There's a reason we don't have Earl of Sandwhiches, Naples, and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen everywhere, because it's just decent food that's overpriced.
We went a couple of times when it opened, never went back over the years. It's a sandwich, nothing special. Give me Ike's Love and Sandwiches any day of the week over Earl.

TP2000

That’s a very Applebee’s-style menu. La Brea wasn’t that great, but I will miss it — especially compared to this.

No kidding. It's very Applebee's, except with an extra 10 to 15 bucks tacked on to every price.

Fish & Chips for $26 At Earl's Tavern?!? :banghead: Do they not get that Fish & Chips, by its very design and inherent cultural importance for many northern European countries, is supposed to be a low-cost meal option for working class folks? (But also very tasty and hearty!)

I just checked the Ivar's menu in Seattle, at their ultra touristy Pier 54 location (a perfect comparison to Downtown Disney). Ivar's is a famous and delicious Fish & Chips restaurant empire started by Norwegian-American icon Ivar Haglund. Ivar's has three options for their freshly caught Fish & Chips at busy Pier 54; a 3 piece meal for $11.99, a 4 piece option for $13.39, or a 5 piece mega-meal for $14.89.

Except when you eat at Ivar's for that price, you can sit outside and watch the Ferry's arrive at the Alaskan Way Ferry Terminal and feed some leftover french fries to the seagulls while you take in the view of Puget Sound.

Ivar's.jpg

When you pay $26 to have Fish & Chips at Earl's Tavern and you sit outside on the patio, this is your view...

Immersed!.jpg

Applebee's on a good day. With a view of the Sunglass Hut.

And I'm going to say this again... $26 for freaking Fish & Chips?!? Earl and TDA both have no shame. :mad:

Last edited:

TP2000

I'm still trying to get over those menu prices at Earl's Tavern. $15 for a bowl of clam chowder?!? $12 for a slice of New York cheesecake?!?

If that's what they're charging for Applebee's level food, there had better be a live band on the patio to play while your waitress brings out the $12 slice of cheesecake as she sings "New York, New York!" while she twirls a flaming baton!

200w.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom