The Disney Stores

Coree

Original Poster
Well, it's official. I just got home from The Disney Store and it was announced this morning that the chain is officially up for sale. There will also be additional store closings in preparation for the sale. There is not yet a buyer and there is no specific news about individual stores as of yet. This affects The Disney Store chain in North America and Europe.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Coree
Well, it's official. I just got home from The Disney Store and it was announced this morning that the chain is officially up for sale. There will also be additional store closings in preparation for the sale. There is not yet a buyer and there is no specific news about individual stores as of yet. This affects The Disney Store chain in North America and Europe.

Yeah... I heard it on CBS MarketWatch this morn.... 100 stores to close... the other 268(?) stores are up for sale. :(

Badger Brent

As a former Cast Member of a Disney Store, this would be a sad thing but not surprising. The Disney Stores have been trying to reinvent and make the stores a profitable part of Disney again. I myself have no reason to go into TDS as it is now. There is nothing for my older kids and NOTHING as far as collectibles and adult clothes. That being said, I still go in for a quick fix and to feel some of the magic. Things happen for reasons we don't quite understand now, but maybe more clear down the road. Maybe some retailer or company can take it over and bring it back to what it used to be. The Disney Co. has a great tradition and somebody out there must be willing to take the chance on these stores.

mickey04

Originally posted by Badger Brent
As a former Cast Member of a Disney Store, this would be a sad thing but not surprising. The Disney Stores have been trying to reinvent and make the stores a profitable part of Disney again. I myself have no reason to go into TDS as it is now. There is nothing for my older kids and NOTHING as far as collectibles and adult clothes. That being said, I still go in for a quick fix and to feel some of the magic. Things happen for reasons we don't quite understand now, but maybe more clear down the road. Maybe some retailer or company can take it over and bring it back to what it used to be. The Disney Co. has a great tradition and somebody out there must be willing to take the chance on these stores.

Well said, I feel the same way about the Disney stores. They used to be a lot better, but now its really just for little kids, and yet I still go on everytime I'm at the mall.:veryconfu I often wonder why they couldn't have been more like the stores at WDW- they have great stuff.

CTXRover

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by selling the Disney stores, Disney is simply selling their ownership of the actual stores and thus the costs of running a retail store including the rent of having the store in a mall. Disney would then license their merchandise to the buyer to sell in the stores, allowing Disney to receive profits from merchandise without the cost of running retail shops. (Of course, the buyer of the stores will also receive nice portions of the profits too).

Is this scenario right? The Disney Stores would then be like Tokyo Disneyland for the Disney company. Another company actually runs it, but is allowed to use the Disney name and brand and to the general public it seems like Disney. If so, it probably isn't too bad of an idea. For us, the Disney consumer, we wouldn't see much difference, but Disney wouldn't have to pay the high costs of running their own retail shop.

By Disney selling off the stores, that doesn't mean the end of them, right? However, if they can't find a buyer (like the WB stores), it sounds like they will be closing them. So here's to hoping a good buyer comes along :)

Coree

Original Poster
Originally posted by CTXRover
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by selling the Disney stores, Disney is simply selling their ownership of the actual stores and thus the costs of running a retail store including the rent of having the store in a mall. Disney would then license their merchandise to the buyer to sell in the stores, allowing Disney to receive profits from merchandise without the cost of running retail shops. (Of course, the buyer of the stores will also receive nice portions of the profits too).

Is this scenario right? The Disney Stores would then be like Tokyo Disneyland for the Disney company.

You are correct. They are looking for the same type of arrangement they currently have in Japan. I don't know what this kind of arrangement means for the jobs and benefits of those of us who work there now, but it least it could help us stay open.

Coree

Original Poster
Originally posted by monorail256
Now.. call me dumb.. but does this effect that Disney Play stores also?

Yes, the Disney Play stores are part of the Disney Store chain.

my disney stored closed for renovations. It says outside the store to come back at the end of summer to play with them. So I guess whoever bought it decided to keep the store near me and renovate it.

hail2pitt1103

The disney store does need an overhaul...the one near me has about 3 different plush dolls, some board games and some videos. I'm not asking for World of Disney or Mousegears, but i dont think its too much to ask for to have a few new pins or a disney poster or two that i could buy for a quick fix.

SirNim

The Disney Store is too geared towards children, and young children at that.

The stores (at least in the stores near me) basically got rid of most if not all of the collectables, and snowglobes that are available are in a limited supply and a limited selection. Now all you see is plush and toys and little kids clothes...

This doesn't surprise me at all...

Merlin

Account Suspended
Wow, I knew the stores weren't doing well but I had no idea this was coming! I used to be a corporate trainer for the Disney Stores back in their heyday. I guess this is truly the end of an era!

Merlin

Account Suspended
By the way, I worked for the Disney Stores when Cynthia Harriss and Paul Pressler first came onboard (actually, they were ultimately the reason I left). I could tell back then that they were going to ruin a good thing with the stores. They both moved to the Parks Division before the effects of their horrible management set it. Consequently, I don't think they ever were officially blamed for the Stores' decline. I'm so glad Pressler is gone (and I wish Cynthia would follow him to the Gap). I was so worried they would eventually move on to another division at Disney and ruin that too!

RickEff

This is really unfortunate. I found buying tickets there (in Canada) saved me a lot of money. They standard price was always better than buying in the US and paying the exchange - although, the dollar makes it cheaper to buy in the US. I doubt it'll last long though. Oh well - I'll find other ways.

Rick

toystoryma

we have four malls in my area in western NY and 2 of them have been out for about a year or more. Just last week, they announced the closest disney store to me will be going out of business and everything is 50% off as of now. They took all the cd's, dvd and vhs and collectibles out of the store so mainly the plush and kids clothes are on sale. They close in one month :( Im so sad so now I have to drive 30min to the next one.. "if" it stays open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom