The Disney Store DVD list?

Figment632

Original Poster
I am currently a cast member at a tds in NJ and every month or so we get an updated list of the next 30 DVDs to be released. The DVD that is at the bottom of the list is songs of the south. Do you see this happening because I have a hard time seeing Disney releaseing this movie.

sissa216

I've heard too many times that it's officially being released "next year"...:rolleyes:
It has been "next year" for several years. I don't think it will happen.

Captain Hank

Interesting...very interesting. Nothing on disneydvd.com, though. Also, I'd think that there would be a big Hoopla long before the release date if it were being released.

Captain Hank

What is SOTS?
The short version: Splash Mountain: The Movie (except that SOTS pre-dated Splash by a lot, and there's a lot in SOTS that isn't in Splash).

The long version: Song of the South was one of the earliest attempts at combining animation and live action in a feature-length film. The frame story consists of a young boy being left at his grandmother's house after an Unspecified Bad Thing happens and requires that his father go far away for a while. The movie is set in early Reconstructionist south, and the plantation that his aunt owns houses a number of African-American workers. The action in the plot is interrupted at intervals by stories told by Uncle Remus, one of the older workers on the plantation. These are primarily done through animation, and chronicle the adventures of Bre'r Rabbit. This is where the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" comes from.

A more extensive summary can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South

It has never been released on VHS or DVD in the United States.

Captain Hank

What are they waiting for then! lol
Well, there are some percieved...issues...with the film, expecially in relation to today's very PC society. There are some questions about the portrayal of Uncle Remus and the other plantation workers. However, it is set after the Civil War. Personally, I've seen a copy of the film, and in my opinion, if it were put in the correct context, I'd see very little problem with releasing it.

RiversideBunny

I'm waiting for:

Song of the South

101 Dalmations (the one with real people)

Steps up onto soapbox:

Disney is making a big mistake by not having all of their DVD's available all the time. They think it's clever marketing to have them available only for a certain time and then go back into the 'vault' and become unavailable.
That is not clever; it is stupidity put into practice and made tradition. They would sell a lot more and make more $$$$$ if the DVD's were always available all the time. There's a village idiot somewhere at Disney who should not be in charge of the village.

Steps off soapbox.

Tks.
:)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Well, there are some percieved...issues...with the film, expecially in relation to today's very PC society. There are some questions about the portrayal of Uncle Remus and the other plantation workers. However, it is set after the Civil War. Personally, I've seen a copy of the film, and in my opinion, if it were put in the correct context, I'd see very little problem with releasing it.

I did hear something about that, but I mean listening to the song you can clearly tell there can be issues just by the way BR speaks.

RiversideBunny

It's a shame that Uncle Remus, long gone, can't get credit for his stories.
He did what Walt Disney did in that he invented characters and told stories about them.
Uncle Remus told his tales to a young boy, Joel Chandler Harris, who later wrote them down.

There is an Uncle Remus museum in Eatonton, GA, east of Atlanta, where it took place.

http://www.uncleremus.com/museum.html

Tks.
:)

dazzer68

dont see as any less PC than gone with the wind, and thats been out for years on dvd.
in fact i always get the two movies confused! is it where scarlet goes down a mountain and gets wet?:ROFLOL:

jhastings74

from 'Songofthesouth.net':

March 29, 2008
Song of the South Mentioned (Again) at Shareholder Meeting
Carol Koster of Disney Echo shared the following with me: "The annual meeting of Shareholders of The Walt Disney Company was held in Albuquerque MN today, March 6, 2008. A shareholder got up during the Question and Answer segment to ask Robert Iger, the CEO of Disney, 'Before the end of my lifetime will I ever see 'Song of the South' released to home video?' To which Mr. Iger replied the now 'standard' reply: They discuss the possibility regularly, there are certain issues of 'sensitivity' surround this movie and the long ago past era it was made in, times are different now, no immediate plans to release it, but they do regularly revisit it, etc."

Last year, at the 2007 shareholder meeting, the topic of Disney releasing Song of the South was raised by shareholder Carol Koster. Iger's response was more encouraging, and it picked up a lot of press.

Figment632

Original Poster
so what are the other 29?

Most of the others on the list are current stuff like hanna Montana,playhouse Disney stuff. But there was a new pixar shorts DVD. I haven't seen a list lately because when Disney reaquired Tds from tcp they stoped sending the list

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I am currently a cast member at a tds in NJ and every month or so we get an updated list of the next 30 DVDs to be released. The DVD that is at the bottom of the list is songs of the south. Do you see this happening because I have a hard time seeing Disney releaseing this movie.

Oh!! I hope that they do!!! That was the very first Disney movie I went to see!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom