The Disney Shakeup - Bloomberg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This will allow them to better invest in the parks. That will be a positive trend long term.
I'm sure those CMs having their hours cut will greatly appreciate your long-term prognosis....
You are just programmed to burble nonsense aren't you? I blame the chemicals.
Tin foil hat must have sprung a hole or two....

Disneyhead'71

Uni only has 4(to be 5) hotels though, and they are a JV. Remember, WDW isnt a Theme park division, its a hotel division with theme parks incidental to them.
Uni will soon have more than 5 hotels. And they aren't joint ventures. They are Universal owned. Loews is a only the operational manager of the resorts.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Maybe it's time for parks & resorts to spun off and become their own entity?

I absolutely despise that idea by the economic realities of the company as a whole are making it a possibility.
Nah, the economic realities are why the parks aren't going anywhere. When times are good, as they generally are right now, the parks look like a burden. They're capital-intensive and grow slowly while the studio churns out Marvel and Star Wars and crushes it at the box office. However, when things turn south and go bad in other areas of the business, that slow and steady growth at Parks starts to look less like a burden and more like a buoy.

Rodan75

Uni only has 4(to be 5) hotels though, and they are a JV. Remember, WDW isnt a Theme park division, its a hotel division with theme parks incidental to them.

That doesn't change my point. Disney and Comcast have both 'educated' the analyst community that the Parks & Resorts division is essential in maximizing the revenue from IPs. It would be a difficult argument to separate Parks & Resorts from DCP and the Film Studios at this point.

asianway

That doesn't change my point. Disney and Comcast have both 'educated' the analyst community that the Parks & Resorts division is essential in maximizing the revenue from IPs. It would be a difficult argument to separate Parks & Resorts from DCP and the Film Studios at this point.
The same could be accomplished though a licensing fee, with a ton less tisk

jt04

I'm sure those CMs having their hours cut will greatly appreciate your long-term prognosis....

Tin foil hat must have sprung a hole or two....

SWL and TSL will employ many more than what they are replacing. Including high paying construction jobs and long term permanent positions.

Same is true for Pandora. Frozen. Soarin etc.

Move along junior.

FigmentForver96

SWL and TSL will employ many more than what they are replacing. Including high paying construction jobs and long term permanent positions.

Move along junior.
To bad that Frozen and Soarin will probably use the same group of people, If not less, because of cuts. Construction jobs would also be even more numerous if they built new rides instead of overlaying old ones.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Move along junior.
More random speculation and fanboi love going against the facts of the situation. Back to patching the tinfoil hat for you....

Smiddimizer

You don't have to agree with each other in order to still be respectful. Please play nice guys. Personal insults distract from the points that you are all trying to make. Now....carry on.
. Problem with your comment is that I have no respect for JT, mainly down to the fact hes a cretin, he may even visit a park one day.

I have to agree. To post wild, obstinate conjecture is one thing, but displaying outright contempt for fellow forum members, on a consistent basis, for years when they discredit his delusions means he's not getting my respect either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Some of the upcharges seem pretty ridiculous, but they don't take away from the basic daily park-going experience, so I don't think they are bad business or customer offerings. (I wouldn't pay for many of them, which means they may not be successful offerings)

I think this thinking is completely wrong and why Disney is able to get away with this now.

Disney established itself as this powerful property because it was different.. and you felt like kings where everything was at this different level from what you were used to.

Then the 90s happened and themed entertainment started popping up everywhere and everyone was copying the Disney model. Disney no longer became the highest level of integration and theme.

This monetization of everything approach amounts to seeing a price tag smacked on everything. You don't get a feeling of being put on a pedestal and top notch service when everything you look at has a huge price tag on it.. premium no less. The further Disney gets from inclusive experiences with top notch service.. the further it falls from its peak. This is no longer getting special 'add ons' that make sense to be markups and are out of the way (like private tours, or private boats, etc).. this is throw a price tag on anything you can. And guests will see it.

This is Pressler 2.0 happening all over.

WDW1974

Interesting piece, but can't get over the writer using Jim 'Make It Up The' Hill as an expert source. You lose loads of credibility when someone like that is a source. Just lazy and easy.

Also, couldn't help but feel the piece was placed to help the 'No one can replace Bob Iger, so how about he gets the job forever?' camp.

WDW1974

Looks like I was incorrect. They are in fact 50% owners of the hotels.

What is more interesting is that Loews is a 50% owner of Cabana Bay, but they don't want their brand name on it.

I haven't stayed at CB (yet), but have visited. It is very, very nice. But it isn't a deluxe resort and Loews hotels are pretty much all considered to be 4-star, full serve hotels, not family friendly retro-designed homages to roadside motor inns.

EDIT: what @andysol basically said!

WDW1974

I think this thinking is completely wrong and why Disney is able to get away with this now.

Disney established itself as this powerful property because it was different.. and you felt like kings where everything was at this different level from what you were used to.

Then the 90s happened and themed entertainment started popping up everywhere and everyone was copying the Disney model. Disney no longer became the highest level of integration and theme.

This monetization of everything approach amounts to seeing a price tag smacked on everything. You don't get a feeling of being put on a pedestal and top notch service when everything you look at has a huge price tag on it.. premium no less. The further Disney gets from inclusive experiences with top notch service.. the further it falls from its peak. This is no longer getting special 'add ons' that make sense to be markups and are out of the way (like private tours, or private boats, etc).. this is throw a price tag on anything you can. And guests will see it.

This is Pressler 2.0 happening all over.

Other than maintenance, which still isn't nearly what it should be, it is worse than Pressler by far.

Disney is playing the airline 'unbundling' game and that goes so against the whole concept of a premium product. You don't see 'Everyone's a VIP' on those construction walls do you? How about 'We strive to exceed guests expectations'? Nope.

Everything now is about making every Guest unequal. Premium viewing. Upcharges on top of upcharges. Special access. Etc. etc.

And considering you pay a fortune just to enter the place -- and, no, WDW wasn't always priced so out of reach of so many -- the idea that all that does is give you the absolute minimum is a great way of diminishing your BRAND and inviting the one and done crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom