News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

KBLovedDisney

For me, it's not so much jewelry or facial hair that bothers me. Really, as long as the outfit looks good with no holes and shirts tucked in and all proper and what have you, then I'm good.

Jonathan Dalecki

All I know is this would have made my College Program experience SO different! I was not a frequent shaver in college, mostly ranging from light stubble to mountain man and in between, and having to go from that to shaving every day wasn't an easy transition. It's nice to know that today's kids won't have to share the struggles I had.

smooch

All I know is this would have made my College Program experience SO different! I was not a frequent shaver in college, mostly ranging from light stubble to mountain man and in between, and having to go from that to shaving every day wasn't an easy transition. It's nice to know that today's kids won't have to share the struggles I had.

I am hoping to do the DCP this coming fall (got NLIC'd after the phone interview :( ) and am lucky that I don't have to shave every single day to keep a clean shaven look due to my lack of facial hair but I never thought of how annoying it must get to have to shave every single day when you are used to having any amount of facial hair that wouldn't be allowed by Disney. I am certain if someone's facial hair truly makes them look unpresentable from not shaving then a supervisor will have them shave or won't let them work but I don't see this change being as "damaging" to the park standards as this thread has made it out to be.

Lilofan

Requiring all men to shave for example, is burdensome for black men. Black hair texture does not respond well to daily or near daily shaving, and is much more likely to cause ingrown hairs and skin infections than in men without African ancestry. Natural black hair on one's head is often subject to criticism in workplaces. It can often be regarded as messy, not clean, and not professional, as are some common protective hairstyles for black hair.

With regard to LGBTQ people, many uniforms or dress restrictions are gender segregated. These may be inappropriately applied and enforced based on management's perception of the employee.
Odd that the black men on CNN and FOX are mostly clean shaven and have good looking skin.

TrainsOfDisney

Odd that the black men on CNN and FOX are mostly clean shaven and have good looking skin.

Not just that... but in general the African-American men that I have seen in my life are mostly clean shaven. I feel like I’ve seen more white men with beards actually but that’s probably cause it’s the hipster thing to do and I eat at Whole Foods a lot :p.

But the Disney look has allowed facial hair for a few years.... so I’m not sure what motherofbirds point is supposed to be.

the_rich

I would never be able to shave every day. My hair grows fast but my skin is very sensitive. I'm always going between clean shaven and stubble by necessity more than anything else. Something like this would make daily life easier for some people. As for the bracelet or necklace, I don't see the big deal. I know when I'm there the service they provide and the personality of the cast member is what I remember.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am hoping to do the DCP this coming fall (got NLIC'd after the phone interview :( ) and am lucky that I don't have to shave every single day to keep a clean shaven look due to my lack of facial hair but I never thought of how annoying it must get to have to shave every single day when you are used to having any amount of facial hair that wouldn't be allowed by Disney. I am certain if someone's facial hair truly makes them look unpresentable from not shaving then a supervisor will have them shave or won't let them work but I don't see this change being as "damaging" to the park standards as this thread has made it out to be.
Wow.

lazyboy97o

The uniforms have nothing to do with the Disney look. They are uniforms just like anywhere else that has uniforms.
Uniforms aren't part of the Look and remain. People can have beards if they want.
Costumes and the Disney Look are not mutually exclusive. The restrictions on personal appearance and accessories are not just about an idea of proper attire but also so that Cast Members are not distinctive or contradictory in their individual appearance such that they are a noticeable image amongst the show to which they are supposed to be a part. Jewelry wasn’t restricted because it was considered unseemly but because they are additional items intended to be seen that are not part of the designed show.

Last edited:

Jonathan Dalecki

I would never be able to shave every day. My hair grows fast but my skin is very sensitive. I'm always going between clean shaven and stubble by necessity more than anything else. Something like this would make daily life easier for some people. As for the bracelet or necklace, I don't see the big deal. I know when I'm there the service they provide and the personality of the cast member is what I remember.

Same same same. Shaving every day is the quickest way I know to razor burn, bumps, and irritated skin. When I do shave my face it's with a lady's razor, as they actually seem to give some thought into making them comfortable and good for a smooth finish, whereas men's razors all seem to be "the burn means it's WORKING!"

Smiley/OCD

I'm NOT a NY Yankees fan, but they still have a policy against facial hair and no hair below the collar of their uniform, so the argument that Disney has to change to keep up with the times is flawed. As others have said, THIS is their policy...my DD worked in the DCP and EVERY policy and dress code was made known to her before she signed on the dotted line (so to speak). And YES, her job required her to wear special shoes which she had to purchase from Disney. I'm in agreement with others on here...It is THE Disney standard...it's one of the reasons that sets them apart from every other theme park. I don't feel that Disney has to relax their policies just because everyone else is doing it. Just as an FYI, my younger DD was offered a job at Six Flags/Great Adventure here in NJ...she had hair color that didn't "adhere" to their dress code. She had 2 choices, dye it to a color more "conservative" or look for other employment. She chose the latter...she knew beforehand what she was getting into and chose to look elsewhere. Ironic thing is she was hired at the theme park/arcade at the shore...they had the same policy. Since it was closer to our house, she chose to dye her hair and worked there 2 summers.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It is THE Disney standard...it's one of the reasons that sets them apart from every other theme park. I don't feel that Disney has to relax their policies just because everyone else is doing it.
The Disney Look is dying.
I remember hearing about it for years, and I'm not an American. I always saw it as one of the qualities that set Disney apart from the competition.

The thing is, Disney doesn't want to be set apart anymore. The pressure to change what many see as outdated and out of touch, is too strong, imo.

Moresmapdi

My friend got sent home from work at Disney because their coordinator said he didn't shave that morning. (he had a very strong 5 o'clock shadow). I've seen leaders make people dry-shave or force them to shave before starting work. I was sent home from work because my hair looked two-toned under the light in the store I was working in, and the leader thought it wasn't Disney Look. One time I lightened my hair and it caused a ton of drama in my location but they didn't make me dye it back ultimately. It's hard enough to work at Disney without having to worry about this stuff....(and you get treated poorly if management decides you did not show up in "Disney Look")

I have a beard now because shaving is almost pointless for me. If I shave clean in the morning before I go to work, by 1pm it will look like I didn't shave that morning. Would this mean that a manager coming on shift could now send me home because I "didn't shave"? Would I be required to use my breaks to shave again? I guess this could be interpreted as discrimination against faster hair growers? 🧔;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom