News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

The_Jobu

Honestly, if retaining the Disney Look meant that Disney could never modify policies regarding the grooming and personal appearance of their employees, I would suggest ditching the concept. I don't think that is the case at all, however. I guess this is what counts as an originalist vs. living document interpretation in the Disney world!

This, to me, also seems like a very conservative update. The issue of jewellery seems less immediately understandable than the changing policy on facial hair. If I had to guess, I would say it is meant to address in a small way discontent about how much Disney's appearance standards bleed into the real life of their generally young employees. A few on here have already mentioned how Disney's standards can make little pleasures like getting a manicure or expressions of individuality like changing your hairstyle a pain. The hope may be that allowing CMs to wear a small pendant or bracelet rather than stripping off every expression of individuality may increase morale a little.

For the most part, we're talking about people earning close to minimum wage working in standard service jobs. Those kinds of jobs exist all over Orlando at the same or better wages, so why would someone put up with all of this just to have the privilege of, for example, sitting behind a cash register at Pecos Bill's all day? It also seems petty to complain about a necklace taking you out of the story when you have other modern conveniences like digital menu screens, mobile ordering, etc. that don't exactly immerse one in frontier times but have been introduced for the benefit of guests. The person serving you is also a human being trying to earn a living and I think it's a bit unfair to begrudge them some small expressions of that humanity.

I respect your opinion. People can come down on either side of how they feel about the Disney Look going away.

Personally, I liked that it made Disney unique, but that's very subjective.

TrainsOfDisney

The Disney look still exists... no extreme hair styles, limited piercings for women only, no visible tattoos and no extreme facial hair styles.

I feel like there must be something behind the jewelry change. Like could it be for medical bracelets / necklaces?

MotherOfBirds

How so? Please explain how it is more burdensome for a gay man to follow the Disney look than a straight man?
Transgender and gender non conforming people are more likely to face harassment and discrimination in the workplace, especially when it comes to dress and appearance guidelines. Gay and lesbian people who may not present as traditionally masculine/feminine also run into this issue.

KBLovedDisney

It should be a dress or nothing and I happen to have no dress.
tenor.gif

Lilofan

Transgender and gender non conforming people are more likely to face harassment and discrimination in the workplace, especially when it comes to dress and appearance guidelines. Gay and lesbian people who may not present as traditionally masculine/feminine also run into this issue.
I saw a cast member in Custodial cleaning in Epcot. I had to do a double take. I was not sure if the individual was a he or she. Both sexes wear the same white costumes. I just saw the individual doing their job and to me that's what counts.

_caleb

The Disney look still exists... no extreme hair styles, limited piercings for women only, no visible tattoos and no extreme facial hair styles.

I feel like there must be something behind the jewelry change. Like could it be for medical bracelets / necklaces?
There was already an exemption for medical bracelets:

ā€œA medical-alert necklace, bracelet or ankle bracelet is acceptable.ā€œ

TrainsOfDisney

You changed my question.... you were the one who said Disney look policies were ā€œmore burdensomeā€ for ā€œLGBTā€ and ā€œpeople of colorā€ - please explain.

TrainsOfDisney

There was already an exemption for medical bracelets:

ā€œA medical-alert necklace, bracelet or ankle bracelet is acceptable.ā€œ

Interesting. And what is allowed / not allowed now? I just canā€™t figure out that change.... I feel like there must be a bigger reason on the jewelery. Iā€™m not really against it as I consider it pretty minor, I just donā€™t understand it ha.

_caleb

Interesting. And what is allowed / not allowed now? I just canā€™t figure out that change.... I feel like there must be a bigger reason on the jewelery. Iā€™m not really against it as I consider it pretty minor, I just donā€™t understand it ha.
I think the reason for the change is the threat of discrimination lawsuits (particularly recent settlements with Sikh, Muslim, and African American CMs). I think the timing of the change is due to this being a relatively quiet time (Disney is not currently facing a major legal battle on this issue, so they can avoid looking like they were forced to make the change (which would be bad PR) and due to cultural changes in the U.S. that value diversity, inclusion, and personal expression.

I'm still not sure anyone on this thread has actually seen the wording of the new policy, but the original post mentioned specifically beard lengths (used to be .5" allowable, now up to 1") and simple bracelets and necklaces with small (less that 1") pendants.

I believe these are specific policy accommodations to help Disney avoid allegations of religious discrimination (beards, bracelets, and pendants). There has long been a process whereby CMs could request exemptions for medical or religious reasons, but Disney has been accused of not granting those permissions equally, fairly, or reliably. This policy would officially allow what I would assume to be some of the most common (and potentially religion- and race-related) exemption requests.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm surprised there's no mention of changes to the headwear (hijab, turbans) policy.

MotherOfBirds

You changed my question.... you were the one who said Disney look policies were ā€œmore burdensomeā€ for ā€œLGBTā€ and ā€œpeople of colorā€ - please explain.

Requiring all men to shave for example, is burdensome for black men. Black hair texture does not respond well to daily or near daily shaving, and is much more likely to cause ingrown hairs and skin infections than in men without African ancestry. Natural black hair on one's head is often subject to criticism in workplaces. It can often be regarded as messy, not clean, and not professional, as are some common protective hairstyles for black hair.

With regard to LGBTQ people, many uniforms or dress restrictions are gender segregated. These may be inappropriately applied and enforced based on management's perception of the employee.

TrainsOfDisney

Requiring all men to shave for example, is burdensome for black men. Black hair texture does not respond well to daily or near daily shaving, and is much more likely to cause ingrown hairs and skin infections than in men without African ancestry. Natural black hair on one's head is often subject to criticism in workplaces. It can often be regarded as messy, not clean, and not professional, as are some common protective hairstyles for black hair.

With regard to LGBTQ people, many uniforms or dress restrictions are gender segregated. These may be inappropriately applied and enforced based on management's perception of the employee.

The uniforms have nothing to do with the Disney look. They are uniforms just like anywhere else that has uniforms. And Disney allows black men (and all men) not to shave if they choose to have a beard. So.... whatā€™s your complaint?

MotherOfBirds

The uniforms have nothing to do with the Disney look. They are uniforms just like anywhere else that has uniforms. And Disney allows black men (and all men) not to shave if they choose to have a beard. So.... whatā€™s your complaint?

I was using this newfangled thing called an 'example'. The point is that the dress restrictions are out of date and are more problematic for some groups of employees than others, and it's high time they were relaxed.

TrainsOfDisney

I was using this newfangled thing called an 'example'. The point is that the dress restrictions are out of date and are more problematic for some groups of employees than others, and it's high time they were relaxed.

Arenā€™t they? The new costumes coming out are unisex arenā€™t they? Trying to think of any gender specific ones and the only ones Iā€™m thinking of are retail costumes where the men where a shirt and tie and the women wear a blouse. Maybes some of the higher end hotels like the grand have similar uniforms.

TrainsOfDisney

As a side note.... the tourist railroad where I am an employee prohibits necklaces and jewelry from being worn because it could get caught in equipment. This would be a serious concern at attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom