The Disney Look is Changing

As a cast member who happens to enjoy having a bit of facial hair, I'm all for this. Now do I want to see other cast members having long out of control beards…Absolutely not, but I see no problem having a nicely groomed beard/goatee. We here at a certain "silly safari boat ride" feel that us and that pirate ride having facial hair is in theme. A boat skipper who's primary job function before dragging tourists into the jungle was shipping cargo was probably not too worried about shaving, nor are pirates all that concerned about it either.

Walt put the no facial hair rule in place because he didn't want cast members looking like the carnies of the day; covered in tattoos and with long beards, he wanted his cast to be clean cut and neat. Here in 2012 having a clean cut beard is socially acceptable. Now as far as tattoos go, thats a different story. Those need to be covered and I say that having tattoos and knowing plenty of other cast members with them.

s8film40

Many of the third party participants have decided not to adopt this policy. So not all cast members will be allowed to grow beards.

Swan & Dolphin has confirmed they will not adopt it. The company that operates balloon sales is rumored to not be adopting it as well as the company that operates valet at deluxe resorts, luggage service at value resorts and airline check-in.

acishere

This is what is to come judging by this thread:

Hello, Guest Services? Yes I just let off of Its a Small World by an employee with a 5 o clock shadow and I demand a refund!
No, he did his job correctly. There was no problem with that.
No, he did not say anything rude. He was very friendly.
What do you mean I have no grounds to complain?! He had hair ON HIS FACE! This is a travesty that has ruined my vacatio... hello? Hello?

and scene.

redfive13

The negative reaction to this thing is absurd. There are MUCH more pressing issues at WDW. Has anyone been on Splash Mountain lately?

My thoughts exactly!

This very thread goes to show that people will complain about anything if given the chance. This new rule will not affect anyones "magical" experience at the parks or resorts.

Let's move on...

bullsforthewin

The sad thing is that the fan community is usually right but it is incredibly difficult for Disney to take us seriously when some of us throw a fit over Cast Members being allowed to have facial hair. The place is falling apart and we decide to throw a fit over something as trivial as this. No wonder TDO does not listen to us.

There are more reasons why TDO does not listen to you...first of course being that you are wrong about 99% of your complaints.

HMF

Or they might even start letting some of those minorities start working for Disney..............

Judging by the reaction to this if Disney Message Boards were around 40 years ago, there might have been outcry over that.( though, I think Disneyland has been hiring minorities since day 1, though I could be wrong. I remember some of the comments during the Sike turban Controversy a few years back complaining about "Minorities getting their way".

basas

LMAO, Oh NOEZ, the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!111one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't believe I ever said that. :rolleyes:
Please explain how this lowers any standard.
Simple: It’s about standards of appearance. Walt didn’t want to see facial hair on employees at the park and neither do I.
Honestly? Outside the fan community (us), nobody is likely to notice or remotely care. :shrug:
It made our local late-night news. Apparently people are noticing.

Tom Morrow

I find that more a problem than beards. On the upside Disney does boost my self confidence since on my own turf I'm a little old and a little fat, at Disney I'm smoking hot....LOL.
I think that is more of an American problem than a Disney problem...

... and there are a lot of hot cast members :lookaroun

draybook

I have a solution for you.. If beards on CMs offend you so much, stay away from WDW then... Problem solved...

Indeed, I couldn't have said it better myself. If a cast member with facial hair bothers you that much then perhaps your vacation money is better spent on a therapist.

Captain Chaos

Indeed, I couldn't have said it better myself. If a cast member with facial hair bothers you that much then perhaps your vacation money is better spent on a therapist.

Ask 74 and he'll say most fanboys need a therapist anyway... :lol:

But for real, there are so many other glaring problems with WDW that need our outrage and attention and need to be spoken up about... a neatly trimmed beard or goatee on a male CM is not one of those problems...

hrcollectibles

As a cast member who happens to enjoy having a bit of facial hair, I'm all for this. Now do I want to see other cast members having long out of control beards…Absolutely not, but I see no problem having a nicely groomed beard/goatee. We here at a certain "silly safari boat ride" feel that us and that pirate ride having facial hair is in theme. A boat skipper who's primary job function before dragging tourists into the jungle was shipping cargo was probably not too worried about shaving, nor are pirates all that concerned about it either.

Walt put the no facial hair rule in place because he didn't want cast members looking like the carnies of the day; covered in tattoos and with long beards, he wanted his cast to be clean cut and neat. Here in 2012 having a clean cut beard is socially acceptable. Now as far as tattoos go, thats a different story. Those need to be covered and I say that having tattoos and knowing plenty of other cast members with them.

The beards have to be fully grown in, meaning those that want to grow one have to do so while on vacation.. 1/4" for a beard is not long, nor would that take long for someone like me to grow one as I am clean shaven in the AM by 2pm I have a 5 o'clock shadow. As a cast member myself I embrace this change and look forward to being able to grow back my goatee.

Vernonpush

Hasn't Disney been hiring Cast Members with full white beards for quite a while during November/December?:xmas:

Maybe all those people who are against beards would like a clean-shaven Santa?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It made our local late-night news. Apparently people are noticing.

The news coverage is because the policy change is to a long-standing policy. My comment was that guests in the parks are unlikely to notice or care.

My personal opinion is that the news are covering the change mainly from incredulity that such an arcane, ludicrous policy was still in place at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom