The Disney Look is Changing

MickeyPeace

Yes they are. That's the reason so many new CMs came from somewhere south of Florida and as a result are VERY difficult to understand. The only nice thing is that if those CMs happen to speak Portuguese, they can yell at the Brazilian tour groups and tell them to move all the way down the end of their row in the theater, stop taking pictures, stop talking, stop standing up, etc.

Some people in Florida are hard to understand y'aaaaaaaaall!

ToTBellHop

Some people in Florida are hard to understand y'aaaaaaaaall!
I can still understand them much better than the new batch of CMs from South America.

I think Walt would have allowed 1/4" of facial hair in his park before he allowed South Americans with borderline-incomprehensible English to work as CMs (and they are perfectly nice people just doing their job, but you can't understand their safety spiels and they aren't going to make anyone's day more magical if guests can't understand them).

Soarin2Tower

I guess I have mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand, I do agree with the people who say 'who cares, this is no big deal.' And in fact I'm a little surprised the policy didn't change sooner...the old policy seems like something someone could potentially file a discriminatory lawsuit over.

I think they also needed to change the policy because they were being a little hypocritical to the front line cast members. Mainly, Joe Rohde comes to mind. Under the old policy, why did they let him ignore the Disney Look when he is seems like a pretty prominent person to the company, yet they still expected front line cast members to follow the policy? And, when you look at the recent characters of Jack Sparrow and Flynn Ryder, there was a discrepancy between the look of their characters and the look they expected the cast to uphold.

That said, I am a little sad by the decision for one reason: it did make a very subtle and positive difference between them and their competition. On my last trip, I did go to Universal to experience the WWOHP. It wasn't until I left that I got to thinking about what seemed different between Universal and Disney...and then suddenly it hit me: it was literally the Disney Look that stood out to me. The people at Universal did not come off nearly as professional as the WDW cast members because of the Disney Look.

For that reason, I do wish they would try to at least keep the old policy for lands where it does make a difference, such as Main Street.

Soarin2Tower

I guess I have mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand, I do agree with the people who say 'who cares, this is no big deal.' And in fact I'm a little surprised the policy didn't change sooner...the old policy seems like something someone could potentially file a discriminatory lawsuit over.

I think they also needed to change the policy because they were being a little hypocritical to the front line cast members. Mainly, Joe Rohde comes to mind. Under the old policy, why did they let him ignore the Disney Look when he is seems like a pretty prominent person to the company, yet they still expected front line cast members to follow the policy? And, when you look at the recent characters of Jack Sparrow and Flynn Ryder, there was a discrepancy between the look of their characters and the look they expected the cast to uphold.

That said, I am a little sad by the decision for one reason: it did make a very subtle and positive difference between them and their competition. On my last trip, I did go to Universal to experience the WWOHP. It wasn't until I left that I got to thinking about what seemed different between Universal and Disney...and then suddenly it hit me: it was literally the Disney Look that stood out to me. The people at Universal did not come off nearly as professional as the WDW cast members because of the Disney Look.

For that reason, I do wish they would try to at least keep the old policy for lands where it does make a difference, such as Main Street.

ProjectXBlog

Honestly, the facial hair rule is archaic and, quite simply, stupid. It's understandable that the rule was instituted over 50 years ago - when times were different - but it's 2012. Not everyone who works as a CM is going to immediately grow a Billy Gibbons now that the rule's been relaxed a bit. It's a bit ridiculous to think the standard of service will deteriorate now that facial hair is allowed. It's the faces that will change, not the quality of work.

draybook

I didn't get to read all 8 pages because I'm on lunch, but I'm seeing some of the same responses that I read on MiceChat, and that's not a good thing. I'd like to c&c the posts I put on MC in response to the people that say that this is lowering the standards, because in all honesty it bothers me to hear that phrase because I have a goatee and I'm just as good as the next fellow with a clean cut face. Anyways, here goes;

So we have people that complain about burned out light bulbs, and now it's facial hair? You mean that some of you actually pay attention to the facial hair on the people that work at the parks? What exactly does a goatee have to do with someone's ability to operate a ride or give a spiel? And how can you be against beards in Disney? Do you think the folks that lived in the Frontierland era didn't have facial hair? How about those Pirates that you love in the New Orleans Square? Yep, looks like they had beards to me. Tomorrowland is about what the future might hold, do you think the future holds only clean cut people? Fantasyland, well, I'm pretty sure that Captain Hook had a mustache at the least.

You can't have it both ways people. If there's a problem with the cast members looking like the characters made famous by the company that you're angry with then you've already created a double standard there.

You mean Walter Elias Disney, the guy with the neatly groomed mustache??..........

I'm pretty sure they have trouble keeping workers due to the low pay and cost of living in that area. Do you really think that people with facial hair can't do the job as well or do you really think that most people give a flip about the facial hair of the person telling them which row to sit in on Pirates?

I expected better from the community here but I see that some of us are still stuck in the 1950's, where we think that those crazy folks with facial hair and long hair are nothing buy lowly good for nothing hippies that have no place working for Disney. Such a shame.

NYBaloo

facial hair

99.5% of Guys With Beards = Gross.

Why even bother having standards if they are just going to keep lowering them every few years? :confused:

99.5% of Guys With Beards = Hot!
Nothing better than a man with facial hair

This country was founded on men who had all varieties of facial hair. I do agree that neatness does matter tho. Considering this action as Disney lowering their standards is utterly ridiculous, imho.

KevinYee

What I find interesting (telling?) about this discussion is that opinion is divided. Do you think the "public's" opinion will be equally divided?

Might there be people not on these boards who will have similar negative reactions to beards on CMs when they see it in the parks... quite separate from the issue of whether it's fair or not to react that way, their first reaction might be hostile. Which makes the Disney decision at least a little bit controversial, I would think.

RSoxNo1

99.5% of Guys With Beards = Hot!

This country was founded on men who had all varieties of facial hair. I do agree that neatness does matter tho. Considering this action as Disney lowering their standards is utterly ridiculous, imho.

I am the .5%!

Actually, I'm all for bringing back presidential beards...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What I find interesting (telling?) about this discussion is that opinion is divided. Do you think the "public's" opinion will be equally divided?

Might there be people not on these boards who will have similar negative reactions to beards on CMs when they see it in the parks... quite separate from the issue of whether it's fair or not to react that way, their first reaction might be hostile. Which makes the Disney decision at least a little bit controversial, I would think.

Honestly? Outside the fan community (us), nobody is likely to notice or remotely care. :shrug:

HMF

Honestly? Outside the fan community (us), nobody is likely to notice or remotely care. :shrug:

The sad thing is that the fan community is usually right but it is incredibly difficult for Disney to take us seriously when some of us throw a fit over Cast Members being allowed to have facial hair. The place is falling apart and we decide to throw a fit over something as trivial as this. No wonder TDO does not listen to us.

Captain Chaos

The sad thing is that the fan community is usually right but it is incredibly difficult for Disney to take us seriously when some of us throw a fit over Cast Members being allowed to have facial hair. The place is falling apart and we decide to throw a fit over something as trivial as this. No wonder TDO does not listen to us.

tumblr_lqs0lrkm4F1r21cyxo2_500.gif

Millionaire2K

99.5% of guys with beards = hot!

this country was founded on men who had all varieties of facial hair. I do agree that neatness does matter tho. Considering this action as disney lowering their standards is utterly ridiculous, imho.

exactly!!

WDW1974

OK, I thought this thread was either about the ever-increasing sizes of CM bodies or the look of the parks.

I don't really care much one way or the other about facial hair (provided it is well groomed and not on a woman -- just a personal preference for me) ... but since people seem Walmarted to the point they believe having 76 tats and 43 piercings is cool and not trashy (again, just my less than humble opinion) one wonders how far they are going to change standards to keep enabling themselves to hire workers at near slave wages.

~Bucky meatloaf now at Napa Rose!~

yensid67

I must chime in on this subject, because I dealt with it while a CM. I know that the DISNEY LOOK is a part of the brand that distinquishes Disney from the normal theme park, and I know from my days as a CM, guys had always pushed the envelope on the facial hair. Some would only shave evrey other day, while others could get away with not shaving for 2+ days! BUT I do respect the fact that Disney is getting 'with the times'! As long as they are straight forward across the board with discipline with unsightly facial hair, I see NO PROBLEM! I know this 'LOOK' was implemented in Uncle Walt's days and has been the norm, but times change and I don't think it will hurt to have guys with facial hair and still look wholesome! Look at it this way, if they CM's can't follow the new facial hair rule, Disney can just as easily revoke the priviledge!

--WIll

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom