The Disney Look is Changing

fosse76

This may not sound like a big deal to some but personally I think it is disgusting; I say that not because of the actual facial hair but because this was a standard that Walt set for his employees and should NOT be altered. I understand times change but this is something that should not be. There are reasons Walt Disney set such high standards for his company and his employees and that should be respected.

Oh give me a break. The "look" was because Walt was stereotyping what he though the average "All-American" teenager should look like. He was stereotyping guys with facial hair as beatniks and (in the 60s) hippies, which did not correlate with HIS view of what an American teenager looked like. Considering some of our country's most powerful leaders had facial hair, I am not sure how one can argue having such a policy lowers the Company's standards (and nee it be pointed out, AGAIN, Walt himself violated this policy).

powlessfamily4

I think it is respected but times have changed and I don't see this as something so detrimental to the running of the parks that it is going to make a difference. My husband and son both have goatees and I happen to think that look on man is very attractive. It wouldn't make me want to run screaming away from an attractive.

Alektronic

I have different point of view, I think they are lowering their standards to be able to hire more people, before anybody with facial hair had to shave before they were hired. Maybe a lot of talented people had beards but didn't want to shave them to work for Disney? I doubt they just changed the rules to make the current CM's happy.

jlevis

Much ado about nothing. A neatly trimmed beard isn't going to ruin my Disney vacation.

Agreed. But the way a lot of the guests dress and/or act is something else. Was it here or on another site where there was a lengthy discussion about a couple of drunks peeing in the bushes? Guests yelling at CM's, line hopping, people abusing ECV or GAC privlidges.

I dont so much mind the light beards or goatee's. Its more the concept of Walts standard being altered. The thing is, it will be difficult to enforce the "1/4 an inch" beard rule. I think that the rule itself is acceptable, but it would just be a heck of alot easier to enforce the no facial hair look.

Howdy

Lurker extraordinaire
Premium Member
I love the new rule and think that it is in no way "lowering standards", just altering them. I have had facial hair ever since I was old enough to grow it and can honestly say that it grows so fast that if I were to shave clean after my evening shower, I would have stubble before the end of the next day's shift. In the summertime I have a goatee and in the winter I have a beard. I keep both well manicured, especially during the week when I am at work, and think that I look much more presentable with them than without. This was my only hang up from applying to work for Disney and will soon be having a serious conversation with my wife about it.

goalman43

god forbid someone have a beard! IMO it is about time. That is probably the most dated dress code policy i've ever heard. A well groomed beard is not going to detract from anyone's appearance.

bullsforthewin

The rule explained to us today was that you can grow beards or goatees during your vacation/holiday time (it cannot be grown while you are working regularly), but the hair cannot be longer than 1/4".

Disney probably realized they were one of the last holdouts for the clean-shaven all the time look. Pretty much every employer in every industry has been allowing beards and goatees for some time now.

And no, tattoos will likely never be allowed. My prediction is that this will be (and is currently) the largest change to Disney Look for some time since men were allowed to grow mustaches. The only major change I can see coming from here is guys being allowed to wear earrings to the same standards that women are held (very simple hoops or studs). Universal does allow men to wear earrings at work. Some employers do. But that is a hit or miss.

Don't expect anything extreme to come of this. I'm so used to being clean shaven it just comes naturally to me anymore but I can't help but think of the fortune I would save if I didn't have to keep buying razor cartridges...

Not true at all...it is universal in the hospitality business that goatees and beards are not accepted...most BUSINESSES ban them.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I don't know if anyone has posted this but 1/4" is a #2 guide on a clipper.. This is extremely short. As long as the beard is also shaped it looks really clean and professional

SyracuseOrange

I don't know if anyone has posted this but 1/4" is a #2 guide on a clipper.. This is extremely short. As long as the beard is also shaped it looks really clean and professional

Exactly. People are acting like this is a huge change. Honestly, this only allows for a very short amount of hair, which looks good on most men that make an active decision to grow it out.

I, for one, am happy to see Disney updating their standards. People look different. That doesn't mean they can't do the job.

HMF

The negative reaction to this thing is absurd. There are MUCH more pressing issues at WDW. Has anyone been on Splash Mountain lately?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom