The Disney Family Coat of Arms

Woody13

Quote:

Originally Posted by monorail_man
ALL FAMILIES HAVE A CREST. DEPENDING ON THEIR LEVEL OF IMPORTAINCE THEY MAY HAVE A COAT OF ARMS, AND IF THEY ARE OF ROYAL DECENT THEY HAVE A HERALDRY.

That is not true. All families do not have crests. For example in Germany, multiple crests were observed in the arms, however, in France, virtually no crest existed. Continue your research using reputable and accredited sources such as The Oxford Guide to Heraldry, Thomas Woodcock and John Martin Robinson, Oxford University Press. I expect you may have gotten a lot of this misinformation from the SCA. Always remember that the SCA is a fine social and recreational club, but they do not have any accreditation in the academic community.

monorail_man said:
HERE is the best I have found for the Disney coat of arms.

What you have found is a poorly done sales pitch! As I warned you, outfits such as the Swyrich Corporation are not to be trusted. Their job is to sell you something! The Disney coat of arms presented in the ad is a phony! They even state on one page (in part), "William Disney who settled in Maryland in 1740.". Gee wiz, they only missed William Disney's arrival in Maryland by 81 years because he appears in Maryland records in 1659! Obviously, the Swyrich Corporation has no merit concerning historical accuracy. However, that is to be expected because they are just one of many companies that sell phony coats of arms and other such junk.

Don't be fooled by these scam artists!:wave:

monorail_man

Account Suspended
Woody13 said:
That is not true. All families do not have crests. For example in Germany, multiple crests were observed in the arms, however, in France, virtually no crest existed. Continue your research using reputable and accredited sources such asThe Oxford Guide to Heraldry, Thomas Woodcock and John Martin Robinson, Oxford University Press. I expect you may have gotten a lot of this misinformation from the SCA. Always remember that the SCA is a fine social and recreational club, but they do not have any accreditation in the academic community.

France has no crest???? :lol: :lol: :eek: :lol:

Yeah. ok.

Woody13 said:
What you have found is a poorly done sales pitch! As I warned you, outfits such as the Swyrich Corporation are not to be trusted. Their job is to sell you something! The Disney coat of arms presented in the ad is a phony!

No. That link is a discription of the crest. I would say they are very trustworthy since they hit my crest right on the head, along with EVERY other crest I have researched.

The "sample" shown is NOT a sample of the disney crest. it is just a sample of how the crest is diplayed. The discription, however is very acurate.

I have seen the crest and that is EXACTLY what it looks like.

Coat of Arms: A silver shield with three gold fleur de lis on a red fess.

Crest: A red lion passant guardant.

Motto: Vincit qui patitur.

Motto Translated: He conquers who endures.

Woody13 said:
They even state on one page (in part), "William Disney who settled in Maryland in 1740.". Gee wiz, they only missed William Disney's arrival in Maryland by 81 years because he appears in Maryland records in 1659! Obviously, the Swyrich Corporation has no merit concerning historical accuracy. However, that is to be expected because they are just one of many companies that sell phony coats of arms and other such junk.

Belive what you want. Where are you getting your information from? ONE book? I think I woudl belive SEVERAL different refrence points over just ONE book.

Woody13 said:
Don't be fooled by these scam artists!:wave:

I have a feeling you used to work for them or you ordered somethnig and never got it or in some way you had a bad run in with them which woudl explain why you are trying to discredit them.

I am sorry to make you look dumb, but they are one of the greatest companies for such things. They are highly recomended.

Now. as for the SCA comments you keep making. I am guessing you have never been a part of the SCA. They are not just a bunch of people that like to dress up and "show" off. They do ectinsive reserch in EVERYTHIGN they do. They are more authintic then the Ren festival.

So I leave you in your sad little "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." little world. You are the type of person that just can't learn from being wrong.

I am done repeating myself over and over to you. It's obvious your too think headed to let anything sink in.

So fair thee well good sir. :king:

Erika

monorail_man said:
I have done EXTENSIVE research on family crest and coats of arms. I have been researching my own for years.

Trust me, EVERY family name has a crest and coat of arms.

I other words. A surname, (example Disney), may have MANY different crest or coats. But there is atleast ONE for every Family name.

Not ours :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My family does not have a crest or coat of arms. We do, however, have a star named after us through the International Star Registry. I have already contacted Disney and told them they could build a resort on it free of charge.......I have not heard back from them...... :lookaroun

jesserin

Very interesting thread... lots of great info guys! - One thing though: let's not make fun of people for spelling errors - as there have been many on both sides of this argument! :D It's a bad way to try and discredit someone by pointing out spelling errors - it's one thing if the phrase doesn't make sense but we all make spelling errors when typing quickly... :) - I'm the worst!

I'd rather keep it on subject and read everyone's side of the discussion! lol!

Just to add to the discussion - I have a family crest and my husband has a coat of arms.. but he comes from a very prominent blood line in England... so it's actually really neat - We have our families coat of arms on a portrait above our fireplace... it's really beautiful and it shows the history of our last name as well as our family tree.

Erika

monorail_man said:
I assure you, you do.

Eh... I have to side with Woody on this one. I think a lot of those companies are just out to take your money. Buyer beware and all that.

But I think it's interesting that you would make a statement like that without knowing anything about my family or where we come from :lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
jesserin said:
it's one thing if the phrase doesn't make sense but we all make spelling errors when typing quickly...

Thank you for pointing out the fact that people should not try to discredit others by pointing out spelling errors. But I call your attention to the fact that neither did I attempt to discredit, nor did I accuse the writter of misspelling a word. I simpley asked what a word was.

Thanks for misinterpreting my intentions.

(Disclaimer: There may be mispelled words in this post. Please disreguard them and insert the correct spelling while you are reading to yourself. Thank you.)

jesserin

hakunamatata said:
(Disclaimer: There may be mispelled words in this post. Please disreguard them and insert the correct spelling while you are reading to yourself. Thank you.)

not to start trouble with you - good grief I obviously wouldn't want to do that - but if you followed your own advice you never would have posted that comment...

i tried to say it nicely - sorry you took it so rudely. let's just focus on the topic at hand and leave it at that....

back to the subject:

anyone?

Irrawaddy Erik

Erika said:
Not ours :wave:
Ditto on my family Erika.........My grandmother is a geniologist we can trace our family back nearly 2000 years, but we don't have a crest. Although we do have a town in Finland named after my family. LOL

Goofette

Irrawaddy Erik said:
Ditto on my family Erika.........My grandmother is a geniologist we can trace our family back nearly 2000 years, but we don't have a crest. Although we do have a town in Finland named after my family. LOL

Omg, Erik, I misread your statement, and when I saw what you typed I thought to myself "why would a gynecologist need to trace the family back??" :lol: :lol:

Irrawaddy Erik

Goofette said:
Omg, Erik, I misread your statement, and when I saw what you typed I thought to myself "why would a gynecologist need to trace the family back??" :lol: :lol:
Na that's my uncle HAHAHA :lol: :lookaroun

jesserin

Goofette said:
OMG - that is exactly what this thread needed.. :D too funny!

Aurora_25

Ok, just for me being crazy- I was also involved in the SCA and I have to go with Woody (gasp!) on this one. The SCA that I was in said (and has proof) that not every family in the world has a crest. Now, we did make up some crests for "show" purposes and so that we had banners and everything, but they were not the "real deal" stuff. I even have several books (at least 3) about family Crests, Heraldry and the like and they all say the same things that Woody has stated.

My family doesn't have a crest and neither does my husband's family, but that doesn't keep me from "making" up some when the mood strikes :D

MissM

So absurd. I was so happy when monorail man (and his like five additional aliases he kept coming back with) were banned. There's nothing quite like arguing with somone as dense as lead. Oh suuuure. The SCA said every single family ever has a crest, so clearly it's true. Riiight. So my grandfather who was born in a tiny town on the isle of Rhodes in Greece has a crest right? Oh wait, would it be his name in Greek, or what they Americanized it to be when he came through Ellis Island? I guess he's got two then, hu? :p And my Love's father's side that's full-blooded Blackfeet, I'm sure someone got around to giving them a crest too. Out on the Res and all.

Such things people try to pass off online as truth. *laughs*
-m

I agree with monorail_man every family name has a coat of arms or family seal. you have to look deeper than just your family name. For instance my family name is spelled Botterbrodt. but the first written record of my name is Butterbrod. the reason for this is in europe the same language can have different dialects.

Once we figured this out we where able to trace our ancestry all the way back through Church records.(they are the best way of tracing ancestry in Germany and most of Europe) we've traced our roots back to 1523 Germany (well in a country that is currently Germany.

the fact is you have to look into your family name and what it means. Botterbrodt and butterbrod both mean the same thing in two different dialects of german from that time. they where both written differently because a family member had relocated.

Erika

Laufschneller65 said:
I agree with monorail_man every family name has a coat of arms or family seal. you have to look deeper than just your family name. For instance my family name is spelled Botterbrodt. but the first written record of my name is Butterbrod. the reason for this is in europe the same language can have different dialects.

It also depends on your culture of origin, and the wealth of your family. There is a lot of history involved. Not everyone hails from Europe, and for the vast majority of those that lived there (back in the times before many of our families left), staying alive from day to day was hard enough without the additional burden of coming up with a family crest. What on Earth would a poor oppressed peasant farmer want with a coat of arms? In my grandfather's culture, you didn't even carry a name from one generation to the next. You just took your father's name and put "son" or "daughter" after it. That's worth the trouble, making a new coat for every new kid that comes along :lol: not to mention that you then had countless unrelated people who then had the same last names.

Edit- well, this is some interesting reading:

http://genealogy.about.com/library/tips/blcoatofarms.htm

http://www.fleurdelis.com/nofamilycrest.htm

http://www.fleurdelis.com/coatofarms.htm

http://www.britainusa.com/faq/showfaq.asp?SID=397

http://www.jaunay.com/crest.html

Worth nothing- the sites that claim the opposite are all selling something :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom