"The Curse of Expansion"

Scar

Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy the argument. The reason Cedar Point doesn't pass WDW in attendance might have something to do with the fact they are only open 6 months a year. HMMMMM?

General Grizz

The Magic Kingdom and the rest of Walt Disney World are the world's largest tourism destinations on earth. If Cedar Point were open all year, I wouldn't think it'd surpass WDW attendance. . .

wdwishes2005

Scar said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy the argument. The reason Cedar Point doesn't pass WDW in attendance might have something to do with the fact they are only open 6 months a year. HMMMMM?

that and the fact that Although cedar point is big, disney has 4 parks, cedar point has 1. also, just because disney has higher attendance does not mean its a better resort, or park.

imho Cedar point has great rides, almost all of them are better THRILL rides than Disney's, but i would still rather go to Disney because of the themeing.

PurpleDragon

I agree 100% with the portion of that article that discusses ride neglect. Magic Kingdom has not seen any ride refurbs outside of the recent Small World update. PoTC, HM, and virtually all of Fantasy land are in desperate need of refurbishment and updating.

Seeing some of the malfunctioning effects and crumbling ride sets, is very upsetting, and reflects the poor attitude of the management over at WDW. They are so focused on NEW this and NEW that, that they have overlooked and neglected the very rides that laid the foundation for WDW as a resort destination.

I think WDW management needs to put a halt to some of the proposed new attractions coming after EE and focus on repairing, refurbishing, and updating the classic rides in Magic Kingdom that are in such desperate need of it.

wannab@dis

PurpleDragon said:
I think WDW management needs to put a halt to some of the proposed new attractions coming after EE and focus on repairing, refurbishing, and updating the classic rides in Magic Kingdom that are in such desperate need of it.

I'm not sure that I agree. To a point, yes, the overall sentiment is valid. However, as a business, you need to focus on retention and growth. I'm sure Disney has two budgets, one for improvements/refurbs and one for new projects. As any company has always done, one budget can be strained due to the requirements of another, but usually, the improvements (refurbs) will be a set budget that does not change that much. The budget for new rides / services will rise and fall as the economy warrants or as growth is indicated.

Keep in mind that they could refurb every attraction in the MK and their growth would be a small percentage versus a large new attraction being opened. Many people may plan a vacation to see a new ride(s), but most don't make plans based on a refurb.

General Grizz

...although the refurbs need to come: and fast! Haunted Mansion, Country Bear Jamboree, and Carousel of Progress need some real TLC within the next few years.

Take Disneyland: MAJOR refurbishments (not just week-long periods, long months) of Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, and the Enchanted Tiki Room, while creating plans/building Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo ride, potential Peoplemover replacement, Monsters Inc ride. . .

MichelleBelle

I have been to CP and WDW many times and I honestly don't even think you can compare them to each other...

WDW is well... WDW. Cedar Point is a roller coaster/amusement park. If Cedar Point were open all year round the attendance would be staggering, but I don't think it would touch WDW attendance. It might be 2nd, but WDW is it's own entity. Both parks/properties do what they do exceptionally well and they both deserve to be at the top, but you simply can't compare them. People go to both places for 2 completely different reasons, which is why even if both were open year round I still don't think CP would beat out the World.

disneylands

Account Suspended
in my opinion cedar point is just another 6 flags. Disney is a unique expierance designed specificly for people who want to get away from "scream parks" like 6 flags or cedar point. also Walt Disney chose to buy that much land so they could develop for many decades. Walt wanted to get rid of not only the tacky resturants but the neon jungle. In disney world there are no gross chineese food resturants or cheap motels. There are only "Disney" quality pleasures.

Did what I say even make sense? WOAH!! sorry I just had a lot to say about this subject and I sort of rambled.

DisneyChik17

disneylands said:
in my opinion cedar point is just another 6 flags. Disney is a unique expierance designed specificly for people who want to get away from "scream parks" like 6 flags or cedar point. also Walt Disney chose to buy that much land so they could develop for many decades. Walt wanted to get rid of not only the tacky resturants but the neon jungle. In disney world there are no gross chineese food resturants or cheap motels. There are only "Disney" quality pleasures.

Did what I say even make sense? WOAH!! sorry I just had a lot to say about this subject and I sort of rambled.

It really did make sense. Thw whole CP vs. WDW vs. SF comes done to one thing. CP and SF are AMUSMENT parks. They are ment to amuse thier guests. WDW is a THEME park. It is meant to fully engulf you in its magic. It is a destination not a day trip (in most cases). Amusment parks are a weekend trip, WDW is a weeklong (at least) escape.

And I think we are startng to see MK get the rehab attention that it needs. IASW just got one and the train station is getting it now. Granted more things need attention, but I think it is a good start.

lebeau

Original Poster
I agree with Kevin up to a point.

If MGM and AK had never been built, there would have been more resources funneled to MK and Epcot. Those parks would be in a better state of repair and would have newer, fresher attractions.

Resources that could have been used on any of the parks have gone into a variety of other parts of the resort; hotels, shopping districts, etc.

Walt would not have cared for McDonalds presence in the parks. I found it somewhat off-putting though I imagine the parent of a picky eater might see it as salvation.

The burst of expansion we saw in the 90s could have been more planned-out and contained. As it is now, the Studios in particular just seems like a random collection of attractions instead of a truly cohesive and well-planned park.

The Magic Kingdom isn't suffering in my opinion. It's a small world just came out of a lengthy rehab, and there are lots of rumors of Pirates and Haunted Mansion being rehabed.

25and7

Account Suspended
Also, my i add this:

CP is definately NOT a vacation destination like WDW is. Although, CP has hotels (none of which even come close to WDW Resorts) it is mainly just an Ohio/Michigan based park as far as its attendance goes. Personally, I compare the CP Resort area to Disney's All Star Resorts but they charge the price of a Disney moderate resort.

I used to go to CP once a year but now im just pretty much getting sick of it and don't feel like wasting my $50 to go stand in 2 hour long lines outside and get treated like garbage by the staff that works there. Disney knows how to keep people coming back, CP obviously has a lot to learn!

Buzzes Dad

I read the article and I can see his point regarding new parks taking away from the others. But also I believe that it was a decsion that was mad by management to for go new rides at MK because people will go there no matter what when they go to WDW(little kids, Disney princesses, character Interaction, ect...) so why spend a lot on new developement within the park, but rather spread it around to the others that people might not necessarily go to and hook them in for a longer trip, more souvenirs, more food, ect...

Let's face it how many people go to WDW for a vacation and do not visit the MK at least once during their trip?

wannab@dis

lebeau said:
Walt would not have cared for McDonalds presence in the parks. I found it somewhat off-putting though I imagine the parent of a picky eater might see it as salvation.

He told you this? :veryconfu

I really wish people would stop saying things like they know what he would or would not do in today's business environment.

I could care less if a McD's is along side the pathway. Some like their food and so therefore it serves a purpose. I have never eaten at one while at WDW, but I don't mind if they are there for the ones that want it.

stitchcastle

I actually think the article made a whole lot of sense. MK doesn't get that much big new attractions because it doesn't need them and there are 3 newer parks competing against it that needs more.

brich

It's all very simple. Given a choice, hands down I would go to the Magic Kingdom over any theme or amusement park worldwide. Why? I don't go just for thrills. I go for the entire experience. This includes theming, manageable thrills, family friendly, nostalgia and most of all, the Magic. Doesn't matter what Cedar Pt or 6 Flags is doing. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom