The Crowds this year at WDW weekend were not runDisney's fault

FerretAfros

While I agree that runners were not the primary cause of the crowding, I still blame runDisney for it being so busy during Marathon Weekend. The runDisney events have historically been used to boost attendance during otherwise-quiet times of year (Nobody wants to take a vacation right after the holidays, so let's bring in some runners to fill those hotel rooms!), but for whatever reason that simply wasn't the case this year.

Marathon Weekend is traditionally the weekend after the first full week in January; this year it was the first weekend in January. When the dates were first announced in late 2016, I could immediately tell that much of it would overlap with New Years crowds, since many schools wouldn't return until Monday the 8th. Shocking to nobody, it was crowded with all the holiday crowds that hadn't left yet

Runners reported having trouble finding hotel rooms in late-spring, despite usually having last-minute availability in the past. The parks were jam-packed all week, despite usually quite manageable crowds. For me personally, Thursday at MK was the worst of it, to the point that I was debating if I ever wanted to do it again, even though this event is something I look forward to every year. But by the weekend, crowds started to improve considerably and looked a lot more like a normal race weekend

As a rule of thumb, race crowds are very easy to pick out: they arrive at the parks late in the morning and leave early in the evening; there are far fewer groups with young children than normal, and they tend to be repeat visitors who generally know where they're going. That simply wasn't the case this year, when the parks were packed from opening to closing, and filled with strollers and lost tourists.

That said, I'm really impressed with how quickly the support crews were able to turn things around from New Years (when Epcot needed every parking space imaginable) to the races just a few days later. The frontline CMs also did a great job making the races special, even though they were coming out of a long hellish period themselves

So no, the majority of the crowds during the worst part of the week weren't from runDisney. However, I blame runDisney for making a bad situation worse, and forcing runners to also deal with all that chaos.

Texas84

These are only finisher numbers. They announced 60,000 total but probably rounding up a bit.
1515777543817.png

dreamfinder

These are only finisher numbers. They announced 60,000 total but probably rounding up a bit.
View attachment 255942

Maybe they had a few thousand people sign up for the kids races? (Unlikely since they cut a day) A 6,000ish round up is pretty big, someone wanted to pad numbers.
Especially when you see that according to those numbers, only about 3,000 people ran just the 1/2 or full. Once you factor the challenge runners into those totals I end up with only about 33,000 unique runners. 7,500 Dopey; 9,500 Goofy; 3,000 1/2; 3,000 Full; 5,000 10k; 5,000 5k (assuming similar to 10k registered). And even that is probably high if you have people doing one of the longer runs running the 5/10k with family.

RunningKoen

Especially when you see that according to those numbers, only about 3,000 people ran just the 1/2 or full. .

Half Total: registered 27,706; finished 20,801 (6,905 did not finish and/or start)
Half only (no Goofy or Dopey): registered 15,102; finished 11,205 (3,897 did not finish and/or start)
Full Total: registered 26,893; finished 20,025 (6,868 did not finish and/or start)
Full only (no Goofy or Dopey): registered 14,332; finished 10,429 (3,903 did not finish and/or start)

The person who processed this mentioned a 35% Dopey, 10% Goofy and 55% Half/Full only ratio for these races.
Only 3000 who ran the half or full is not corresponding with his data. (Source is linked in my post quoting him earlier)

I guess the numbers @Texas84 mentioned as Goofy also include the Dopey runners; Since everyone who does Dopey is registrated for all four races and both challenges.

As the data do tell: Lots of extra Dopey's this year (and thus increasing the Goofy's in Texas' table aswell) (fewer half marathon)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Only 3'000 who ran only the half or the full doesn't correspond to the number of finishers either - 7'500+9'500+3'000=20'000 because there were more finishers than that in both races (ok barely more than that for the full but 800 more for the half) and these numbers also don't take into account the number of people who either didn't start or who where swept.

dreamfinder

The person who processed this mentioned a 35% Dopey, 10% Goofy and 55% Half/Full only ratio for these races.
Only 3000 who ran the half or full is not corresponding with his data. (Source is linked in my post quoting him earlier)

I guess the numbers @Texas84 mentioned as Goofy also include the Dopey runners; Since everyone who does Dopey is registrated for all four races and both challenges.

As the data do tell: Lots of extra Dopey's this year (and thus increasing the Goofy's in Texas' table aswell) (fewer half marathon)

I'm shocked that they dumped the Dopeys in the Goofy results. Seems pointless to do that extra breakdown, but I'm listed in there so guess they did do it that way. That would shift an extra 7,500 or so in each the half and full from challenge to running just the event, resulting in about 10,500 at the half/full each, resulting in that 55%/35%/10% split. And once again, the data you linked to is just the finisher results, no special sauce.

Only 3'000 who ran only the half or the full doesn't correspond to the number of finishers either - 7'500+9'500+3'000=20'000 because there were more finishers than that in both races (ok barely more than that for the full but 800 more for the half) and these numbers also don't take into account the number of people who either didn't start or who where swept.

I worded it poorly. I meant 3,000 in the half and 3,000 in the full, for a total of 6,000 people doing just one of the larger events.

And an interesting observation, just refreshed the results page, and it now shows 20,050 finishers instead of the 20,025 we had been using earlier. Wonder if that means something will end up popping up on marathoninvestigation.com again or not.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Is there some reason runDisney is so vague about the numbers for their races? For newbies, it would be helpful to know the number of registrations, starters and finishers. For my first rD race, would I want to participate in one that over the years has averaged 5,000 starters or would I want one that has averaged 15,000 starters? 🤔

They know how many registered. They know how many of those bibs crossed the start and finish lines. They can even break out the challengers from those running just the event. Are they concerned publishing said numbers would impact race participation? Think how many people enter the Princess 5k to get their feet wet for rD. And then are disappointed that half the planet is running, well walking, and never participate again. If they know about WDWMagic and visit the Running forum, at least we can give them a reasonably accurate picture of what to expect.

I've never understood Disney and its obsession with keeping some data secret.

Texas84

Is there some reason runDisney is so vague about the numbers for their races? For newbies, it would be helpful to know the number of registrations, starters and finishers. For my first rD race, would I want to participate in one that over the years has averaged 5,000 starters or would I want one that has averaged 15,000 starters? 🤔

They know how many registered. They know how many of those bibs crossed the start and finish lines. They can even break out the challengers from those running just the event. Are they concerned publishing said numbers would impact race participation? Think how many people enter the Princess 5k to get their feet wet for rD. And then are disappointed that half the planet is running, well walking, and never participate again. If they know about WDWMagic and visit the Running forum, at least we can give them a reasonably accurate picture of what to expect.

I've never understood Disney and its obsession with keeping some data secret.

They are not keeping it secret. It's just another number to report and they're not bothering with it because they don't think it's important. And it's really not, except to numbers people like me. BTW Paris has been reporting registration totals.

In the 'old' days when Active was handling results they would list names of non-finishers. Was probably a good idea to stop doing that. :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They are not keeping it secret. It's just another number to report and they're not bothering with it because they don't think it's important. And it's really not, except to numbers people like me. BTW Paris has been reporting registration totals.

In the 'old' days when Active was handling results they would list names of non-finishers. Was probably a good idea to stop doing that. :)

Okay, thanks for the explanation. And you're not the only one who is interested in those numbers....

Last edited:

RunningKoen

RunningKoen

Yes. You get both medals. The Dopey finishers are also Goofy finishers.

So thats why Dopey is "dumped" into Goofy aswell. Making the amount of just Goofy runners smaller.

There are just slightly more than 3000 people registered for Goofy. Other bibs of the 20.000+ total for the half were registrated for either the Dopey or just the half.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

So thats why Dopey is "dumped" into Goofy aswell. Making the amount of just Goofy runners smaller.

There are just slightly more than 3000 people registered for Goofy. Other bibs of the 20.000+ total for the half were registrated for either the Dopey or just the half.

Yes, you get both medals if you do the Dopey. Yet, there is no need to include the Dopey runners in the Goofy results as well, (At least in my mind) There is no additional age group awards for either challenge, those just serve as an easy way for a challenge participant to view all their results on a single line. It's not like you can sort the PDF to see how you fared in your category against other challengers. When you pull then out as I mentioned before, it does match up with the 55%/35%/10% breakdown you posted earlier.

They still did this year. At least some of them. Searching the results by last name for either the half or the full shows a bunch of runners with no splits at all, or just some splits. For instance, searching "Smith" as seen here -> https://www.trackshackresults.com/d...pe=3&LName=smith&FName=&City=&State=&Country= shows at least 30 DNS/DNF runners. The 10k has no such results, so maybe someone messed up and forgot the purge the half/full results before uploading? But yet they don't show up in the division results, just under the search results.

Corral placement shows registration info. I didnt bother to check them this year, but someone else probably did and worked out those numbers.

That is exactly where all these numbers came from. We have two sets of data, the corral assignment charts, and then the finisher results. As I mentioned, the chart you posted here -> https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...were-not-rundisneys-fault.937171/post-8029165 is just a breakdown of the corral numbers. So while not a 100% accurate count, I'd guess it's 98-99% accurate in terms of numbers. I've got 20+ years of managing other sporting events and everyone leaves some unassigned bibs to account for slosh/errors/lost bibs/etc.

OG Runner

The marathon weekend, in the past, has been in the second week of January and I think with it beginning on the 4th this year there was more of an overlap. We talked to a number of couples, not involved in the races, that were there as part of a New Year's trip.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The marathon weekend, in the past, has been in the second week of January and I think with it beginning on the 4th this year there was more of an overlap. We talked to a number of couples, not involved in the races, that were there as part of a New Year's trip.

That's exactly what we were there for (NYE) and I'm GLAD the marathon was early this year because it pushed me over the edge to do the Wine/Dine half in November AND the Princess half in 2019 :D

irishmom58

I know this could be a part of the larger WDW Marathon thread but I think it's a stand alone thread,

If the mods don't agree, that is obviously fine, and their discretion.

I heard all weekend people in lines all over the parks blaming the marathoner's for the insane crowds.

I mean 100 minute waits for "It's A Small World"? lol Almost 6 hours for Flight of Passage?

Was it New Years or something?

Well yes.

Here's what people were missing. The calendar was far more to blame for the crazy crowded parks than the marathon.

This was our 11th WDW marathon weekend. I have never noticed the marathon doing anything other than minimal bumps in crowds at Epcot on race nights. In most years New Years Crowds have sufficient time to clear out before the Marathon Weekend. As the calendar continued to shift back, meaning the Marathon getting earlier and earlier, running crowds have merged with the crazy New Years crowds.

The last couple of years I knew this was coming. and the 2016, and 17 events were more crowded than their predecessors. But this was tagged for Disney's crowds in general being up.

But this year the New Years's crowds were the main blame. They simply had not cleared out yet.

This years marathon weeknd began on January 5th. People who take typical 7-10 day vacations that include New Years are still there in mass.

Next year we will be well and clear and I guarantee you the crowds will be back to normal. In fact I bet they are lower than usual next year because 2019 will be the year furthest from the holidays.

Next years event begins on the 11th giving New Years crowds more than 10 days to be gone.
We arrived Jan 8 with first day at MK 1/9 usual marathoners but not bad. Epcot was a zoo on 1/10 and MK afternoon to evening also. MK had Moonlight Magic for DVC so no fast passes for favorites in afternoon. Will definitely watch for DVC events and avoid dates in future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom