The Crowds this year at WDW weekend were not runDisney's fault

RunningKoen

LOL - I thought of this thread the other day when I came back to my room and found a flyer slipped under the door informing me of all the potential disruptions due to the races and how I should take this into account for travel time.
The topic is complaining about the 2017 weekend. Im quite sure they were already using flyers etc. because I snapchatted pictures of it, showing off how they would warm people that I would be running around.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
The topic is complaining about the 2017 weekend. Im quite sure they were already using flyers etc. because I snapchatted pictures of it, showing off how they would warm people that I would be running around.

Yes, I know the topic was a complaint thread in 2017; that was my point - I remembered reading the thread last year and it was the first thing that popped into my head the other day when I saw the flyer in my room - that the guy last year was complaining to complain because Disney does take steps to keep non runners informed.

RunningKoen

Yes, I know the topic was a complaint thread in 2017; that was my point - I remembered reading the thread last year and it was the first thing that popped into my head the other day when I saw the flyer in my room - that the guy last year was complaining to complain because Disney does take steps to keep non runners informed.

I've read four pages into the topic, and stopped.

That topic, wich gladly isn't in 'our section' is as several others in this forum: filled with negativity and people who love to spend their complaining about the slighest thing on online forums. it's a thing, online, in general, on facebook aswell. Not trying to blaim this forum or people in particular. I just rather avoid places like that.

In the few months I've been on this forum, I've rarely visited any topics outside the runDisney section (The cruise line & wedding section is rather nice), partly because the subjects of those sections just don't interest me, partly because I'm far from obsessed to have either the knowlege nor interest in the background of why the Yeti isnt moving and who's to blaim for not fixing it, but mostly because I cant deal with that negative fibe.

I'm loving the rundisney section for the small group of active users who all share the same positive spirit for running, Disney and runDisney. :) Slightly hating you guys for getting me even more addicted to runDisney though ;-)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Plus, haven't the number of marathon participants been fairly similar over the past several years, meaning any increase in crowds this year could not be attributed to marathon weekend?

This year's Marathon may have pulled in more, since it was the 25th.

RunningKoen

This year's Marathon may have pulled in more, since it was the 25th.
Somewhere on Facebook, someone already processed bib and finisher info. Full and half were around 20.000 people starting, with a 35% dopey, 10% goofy and 55% sole race(just donald for the half or mickey for the full) profile.

That would mean 7000 dopey runners among the 5 and 10K starters. Might do the effort to track down that post.

Edit: around 20.000 seems to be the finishers. starters was higher. more bibs were sold/planned

RunningKoen

Registration data:
26219445_1530794193654232_3797827496435546835_n.jpg

Finisher data:
Half Total: registered 27,706; finished 20,801 (6,905 did not finish and/or start)
Half only (no Goofy or Dopey): registered 15,102; finished 11,205 (3,897 did not finish and/or start)
Full Total: registered 26,893; finished 20,025 (6,868 did not finish and/or start)
Full only (no Goofy or Dopey): registered 14,332; finished 10,429 (3,903 did not finish and/or start)
Dopey: registered 9516; finished 7629 (1887 did not finish and/or start)
Goofy Only (not including Dopey): registered 3045; finished 1,967 (1,078 did not finish and/or start)
Goofy Total: registered 12,561; finished 9,596 (2,965 did not finish and/or start)

Disclaimers: 1) the half registered numbers don’t add up. I did not make these - they came from an earlier post that I thought was accurate until I realized - they don’t add up.
2) they accepted registrants for both races, though very few, after the post about the number registered. When I picked up my bib for the full Friday I asked if I could still get a half bib. I was told I could still buy a full bib but the half became a hard sell out a couple weeks earlier.
3) the Dopey and Goofy numbers were counted by multiplying names on the pages and number of pages with the first and last being counted and added as they were odd numbers. The half and full numbers were taken directly from the results page. All other numbers were basic arithmetic.
4) it’s possible that some of the bibs were never assigned to an actual runner as the registered runners were calculated by bib numbers and likely RD left a few in each corral open for “just in case”.
5) please don’t beat me up for the above stated disclaimers

The picture is what I used (came from another post) for “registered” runners.

LAKid53

Premium Member

That topic, wich gladly isn't in 'our section' is as several others in this forum: filled with negativity and people who love to spend their complaining about the slighest thing on online forums. it's a thing, online, in general, on facebook aswell. Not trying to blaim this forum or people in particular. I just rather avoid places like that.

In the few months I've been on this forum, I've rarely visited any topics outside the runDisney section (The cruise line & wedding section is rather nice), partly because the subjects of those sections just don't interest me, partly because I'm far from obsessed to have either the knowlege nor interest in the background of why the Yeti isnt moving and who's to blaim for not fixing it, but mostly because I cant deal with that negative fibe.

I'm loving the rundisney section for the small group of active users who all share the same positive spirit for running, Disney and runDisney. :) Slightly hating you guys for getting me even more addicted to runDisney though ;-)

To be called both lazy (as a runner) and Runny Mcrunpants really set me off. All because I commented that we runners were okay with getting up at 2:30 am for early race starts so not to inconvenience other guests. I've been participating in rD events since 2015. There are road signs all over the place about road closures and delays. I noticed them on trips before I started running in the races. I

And the amount of money spent by rD participants can exceed what the typical guest spends for the same length of trip. I usually walk out of the Expo with nearly $300 in merchandise. And add to that my pre-order.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Registration data:
26219445_1530794193654232_3797827496435546835_n.jpg

Finisher data:

Wow, that's by corral. You got this off FB? I wish rD would publish these numbers. It would be nice to know registrations, starters and finishers. Next time someone comments that rD races are useless, I'm going post your chart.

Wait till @Texas84 sees this.

RunningKoen

It's a rather pointless discussion. The fact that runDisney has been active as a part of the Disney family and been able to do a marathon for 25 years, says it all. The pro's are better than the con's. End of discussion. There's inconvenience. But that's also there when they are filming some special.When there are weather issues. When there are other events. When there are refurbs or break downs.

When you can't handle inconvenience or any unexpected things, don't go any place with crowds. Because people cause inconvenience.

LAKid53

Premium Member

And that's why we love you and are encouraging you to join us in November. 😁

RunningKoen

Wow, that's by corral. You got this off FB? I wish rD would publish these numbers. It would be nice to know registrations, starters and finishers. Next time someone comments that rD races are useless, I'm going post your chart.

Wait till @Texas84 sees this.

Yeah, on FB.

runDisneyrun is a big facebook group. So big I turned off any notification because it would a non stop stream of messages on my feed. I can check it whenever I want to. (Lots of nice pics from the WDW weekend!) and info like this.

The way runDisney handles bib a great way for data freaks. Some races label their runners based on when they registered. and use a colour system for corals (runDisney paris!). runDisney uses the bib nummer to do coral placement, and because of that, you can rather easy find out how much bibs are planned into each corral. I could have done the same, I just do have a life ;p

RunningKoen

And that's why we love you and are encouraging you to join us in November. 😁
I'd rather save my money and make a big trip for the Dopey '19 and have enough time to meet all of you :)

Doing W&D is still on the table. But that would mean that both my trips (W&D and Dopey) would be shorter and I'd just run (Fly in a day before the race) and leave directly (on sunday!)

lukacseven

Been doing the race weekend since 2006 and this was without question the most crowded the parks have ever been...and by a longshot. The number of strollers and the wait times at MK on Monday were easily 3-4 times what they have been in past years. Probably a number of factors influencing this: closer to New Years, Pandora, 25th Anniversary...

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'd rather save my money and make a big trip for the Dopey '19 and have enough time to meet all of you :)

Doing W&D is still on the table. But that would mean that both my trips (W&D and Dopey) would be shorter and I'd just run (Fly in a day before the race) and leave directly (on sunday!)

You don't want to leave the same day as completing Dopey. That's insane, even for you. 😁

RunningKoen

You don't want to leave the same day as completing Dopey. That's insane, even for you. 😁
I can fix a longer stay after dopey '19, but W&D is a problem with work. I cannot get free days in both november and january.
Already using two in september for Paris, so september and januari would be a fair share of the burden.

Edit: I'm also saving money and free days to use for 2020. It will be the 5th anniversary of the Castle to Chateau challenge, and I cannot get a perfect status, but the medal, lanyard and challenge itself might have awesome extra's that I definitely need.

surfsupdon

I left on Dopey’s Sunday this past year. It was crazy but added to the challenge atmosphere.

Next year I will still thru till Monday!

dreamfinder

While the parks were crazy, I wouldn't contribute much of it to runDisney. I actually felt the crowds went down as it got closer to race weekend. Even though it was the 25th, overall runner count simply can't go up alot. While the numbers @RunningKoen posted do show an increase from 2017 to 2018, remember that in 2017 the 1/2, full, Goofy and Dopey all still had slots left open when registration closed. So I'd expect the total number of available bibs to be about the same.

Pretty sure those numbers are pulled from the corral charts. For instance the 2018 Dopey Elite corral went from 01-19, A from 20-599 etc which matches the chart numbers. While I'd expect them to be pretty close, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fudge factors in the corral simply because they frequently end on round numbers, so while it may show up to 599, they may have only actually used up to 581 or something similar. Doing this also gives them wiggle room in case of a b-tag falling off, bib getting lost/given to wrong runner, etc.

I can't see runDisney ever officially posting numbers. For the same reason why I think they got rid of the registration percentage counters, that data shows if things are becoming less popular.

Flew out same day as Goofy once and the full only once. And another completely unrelated marathon had a flight 3 hours after I finished. Definitely don't recommend that.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I was there 12/30-1/8 as a guest (non-marathon runner) and holy cats the crowds were awful last week. I heard someone say that FL schools didn't go back until 1/8 and it all made sense. It was so cold I expected the locals to stay home! The crowds started thinning out by 1/6 so I knew it wasn't because of runners.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom