The Crowds this year at WDW weekend were not runDisney's fault

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I know this could be a part of the larger WDW Marathon thread but I think it's a stand alone thread,

If the mods don't agree, that is obviously fine, and their discretion.

I heard all weekend people in lines all over the parks blaming the marathoner's for the insane crowds.

I mean 100 minute waits for "It's A Small World"? lol Almost 6 hours for Flight of Passage?

Was it New Years or something?

Well yes.

Here's what people were missing. The calendar was far more to blame for the crazy crowded parks than the marathon.

This was our 11th WDW marathon weekend. I have never noticed the marathon doing anything other than minimal bumps in crowds at Epcot on race nights. In most years New Years Crowds have sufficient time to clear out before the Marathon Weekend. As the calendar continued to shift back, meaning the Marathon getting earlier and earlier, running crowds have merged with the crazy New Years crowds.

The last couple of years I knew this was coming. and the 2016, and 17 events were more crowded than their predecessors. But this was tagged for Disney's crowds in general being up.

But this year the New Years's crowds were the main blame. They simply had not cleared out yet.

This years marathon weeknd began on January 5th. People who take typical 7-10 day vacations that include New Years are still there in mass.

Next year we will be well and clear and I guarantee you the crowds will be back to normal. In fact I bet they are lower than usual next year because 2019 will be the year furthest from the holidays.

Next years event begins on the 11th giving New Years crowds more than 10 days to be gone.

RunningKoen

The weather wasn't helping either: both water parks were closed and as someone mentioned in another post, people who had planned to go to beach rather go to an amusent park instead of swimming in the cold.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I know this could be a part of the larger WDW Marathon thread but I think it's a stand alone thread,

If the mods don't agree, that is obviously fine, and their discretion.

I heard all weekend people in lines all over the parks blaming the marathoner's for the insane crowds.

I mean 100 minute waits for "It's A Small World"? lol Almost 6 hours for Flight of Passage?

Was it New Years or something?

Well yes.

Here's what people were missing. The calendar was far more to blame for the crazy crowded parks than the marathon.

This was our 11th WDW marathon weekend. I have never noticed the marathon doing anything other than minimal bumps in crowds at Epcot on race nights. In most years New Years Crowds have sufficient time to clear out before the Marathon Weekend. As the calendar continued to shift back, meaning the Marathon getting earlier and earlier, running crowds have merged with the crazy New Years crowds.

The last couple of years I knew this was coming. and the 2016, and 17 events were more crowded than their predecessors. But this was tagged for Disney's crowds in general being up.

But this year the New Years's crowds were the main blame. They simply had not cleared out yet.

This years marathon weeknd began on January 5th. People who take typical 7-10 day vacations that include New Years are still there in mass.

Next year we will be well and clear and I guarantee you the crowds will be back to normal. In fact I bet they are lower than usual next year because 2019 will be the year furthest from the holidays.

Next years event begins on the 11th giving New Years crowds more than 10 days to be gone.

That means MLK will be much later next year.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
The weather wasn't helping either: both water parks were closed and as someone mentioned in another post, people who had planned to go to beach rather go to an amusent park instead of swimming in the cold.
Could be, but that would not be a significant bump. The weather has been rough many times over the years. How many people plan beach trips in January? Or plan on the water parks that week. I mean even if that number was 5,000 (and that's gotta be a stretch) that's not going to blip the radar.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Could be, but that would not be a significant bump. The weather has been rough many times over the years. How many people plan beach trips in January? or plan on the water parks that week. I mean even if that number was 5,000 that's not going to blip the radar.

And isn't one of the water parks closed in January for refurb?

RunningKoen

Could be, but that would not be a significant bump. The weather has been rough many times over the years. How many people plan beach trips in January? or plan on the water parks that week. I mean even if that number was 5,000 that's not going to blip the radar.
It will not be the sole reason, but none of these are. There were several factors coming together and that made a general big crowd.

With over 20.000 people running, the weekend will have an impact on crowds anyhow.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
It will not be the sole reason, but none of these are. There were several factors coming together and that made a general big crowd.

With over 20.000 people running, the weekend will have an impact on crowds anyhow.

Well my whole point was the opposite. Of course there were several factors....not trying to be confrontational, I promise. I'm just a numbers/Disney crowds guy who loves dialogue about this stuff. So trust me I am not trying to be argumentative.

Sure the marathon impact's crowds, but most Disney Crowd people understand it does not bump numbers as much as people would think and never has. Regardless the impact is "this year" we are talking. The Marathon happens every year so the dramatic shift is further evidence something happened different.

Like I said this was WDW Marathon Weekend 11 for us, and none have them have been close, not light years close, to this crowded.

Ask ourselves, what has been similar to many other years? Anniversary Events, Cold Weather. Did we see massive crowds? No.
What has been different from many other years? The calendar dates.

I am trying to remember what the crowds were like in 2010 or 2011 that would have been the last time the calendar was like this. But I seem to recall Disney moving the event back to curtail this. Especially since there was no 10k to squeeze in.

Last edited:

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Edit: last year, I swimmed several times at my hotel and almost went to a water park, so some people might be just that crazy ;-)
Do not know about refurb.

All hotels had their pools closed aswell. Just a small number of people, I know, but another extra load of guest

People were swimming at WL on Saturday. I know people still swim for sure. I remember the year it snowed people were swimming at the Contemporary.

RunningKoen

Well my whole point was the opposite. Of course there were several factors....not trying to be confrontational, I promise. I'm just a numbers/Disney crowds guy who loves dialogue about this stuff. So trust me I am not trrying to be argumentative.

Like I said this was WDW Marathon Weekend 11 for us, and none have them have been close, not light years close, to this crowded.

Ask ourselves, what has been similar to many other years? Anniversary Events, Cold Weather. Did we see massive crowds? No.
What has been different from many other years? The calendar dates.

I am trying to remember what the crowds were like in 2010 or 2011 that would have been the last time the calendar was like this. But I seem to recall Disney moving the event back to curtail this. Especially since there was no 10k to squeeze in.

We're on the same page. I understand that the marathon brings crowds but I'm disagreeing with people claiming the crowds of last weekend were just because of the marathon. That's rather unfair as there are several other factors, as the dates (and the holiday/vacation crowds linked with it).

Swissmiss

Premium Member
So, @Swissmiss, are you in for another Marathon weekend?

Probably not for awhile. Don't get me wrong - I loved it and had a great time, but not only is it quite a distance to travel, it's too close to the holidays and I prefer being in my home for the holidays. This year several things lined up so that I was able to participate - the race being a bit earlier, the school holidays being a bit later and, in the beginning, my decision to already be in the US for Christmas because my mother was aging (unfortunately she passed away suddenly in April so I did not get to spend Christmas with her as planned). My next participation in a WDW race will most likely not be until my DD has graduated from high school (and she's only just started junior high) as I won't go so far away without her. I will, however go to DLP in September without her and am really looking forward to not having to plan travel around her school hours ;)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Plus, haven't the number of marathon participants been fairly similar over the past several years, meaning any increase in crowds this year could not be attributed to marathon weekend?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom