The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, so if we are doing this live reveal show, then I guess it's best if all the judges send their critiques directly to Space or IDI, and not post them here, since like I said I really want to milk each and every "greenlight or no greenlight" like it's a beeping reality show :p
Okay just so I know...I'm not posting the review here right now correct?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Reviews are done and posted to the super secret judges lair.

I want to say I greatly enjoyed all of the submissions. I apologize when these get released if I judged harshly, or nitpicked things too much. I tried to be fair in my nitpicky-ness at least. It's just in my nature I guess. I think you all did a great job, and look forward to the results getting tallied and seeing who takes home the crown? Belt? Trophy? Ribbon? Starbucks gift card???

One of these days I may just feel like I've got the time and energy to join in on one of these challenges, it looks like it was a lot of fun. You guys obviously put in a heck of a lot of work, and it really shows.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
@TheOriginalTiki

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Concept 1: The New Expedition Everest -- Hitting an problem area right off the bat, and one without a massive change, I like. I’m not sure how many cave-dwelling civilizations lived in the Himalayan mountains, but I’m willing to suspend my disbelief enough here based on the idea of the “wrecked” civilization being a great visual, and the idea that the yeti shows itself a little before the shadow effect is nice. I’d like to hear more about how obscured his head would be here, as I feel the drama of the ride, not seeing anything but a shadow until the final money shot at the end would be lessened if we see too much of the big hairy sucker at the beginning. I’d suggest maybe just a flash of fur, or maybe just done via sound and light (the Yeti is obviously barreling towards us through a cave, we have to move quickly before he shows up).

Overall, I think that the additional yeti encounter and the ruins would add quite a bit to the story of the attraction. I like.
GREEN

Concept 2: Roots - First off, I want to agree with something. I’ve never felt like a truly bad “Disney Parent” more than I did in Tough to be a Bug. My kid had already enjoyed, but was scared by, Everest, further was unnerved and scared by Dinosaur, and I took her to ITTBAB forgetting completely that it included the terror that was huge spiders (her biggest fear) dropping from the ceiling. Bad @@sshindel , Bad!

Now, the name “Roots” has an odd connotation that I, being old, cannot displace. I feel if I see a place called Roots, with ties into Africa, being a good midwestern commie-liberal, I’m staying faaaaaaaarrrr away from it.

The idea of a restaurant being a feature here in the park weenie is an interesting one, I can see the interior of it in my mind, and I dig the idea (and I’m buying a drink from that bad-**** dragon bar for sure), but I can get African and Asian cuisine elsewhere in DAK, so I’m staying far away from a restaurant that I’m not 100% sure will not be associated with slavery.
RED

Roots_25th_Anniversary_Edition.jpg

Concept 3: Ellie’s Conservation Station -- Ohhh how I miss the Skyway. What a simple, yet exciting ride. I’m all about anything involving Up. One of my favorite films of all time. I also share with you a desire for more South American representation. Being married into a South American family (wife’s parents were off the “boat”), I’m happy with anything and everything that brings South America into the parks.

I don’t think that the balloons would fly though. Goes directly against park policy (and a core concept of the Convservation Station:

“Balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted in Disney's Animal Kingdom Park for the safety of our animals
I’ll have to wait for later to take your word on the train piece. Since they just include part of the train into the concept of the Harambe Marketplace, it’s a hard sell to ditch the train, but what I would give to fly under some balloons like Carl. I really would like something more grand for such a fantastic movie though, and this doesn’t seem to fit. If we can convince them to open a South America section to the park though, Up should feature it right next to the Amazon River boatride.
RED

Concept 4: Harambe Railway -- See, I didn’t have to wait long! I love the idea of a long train ride that gets me different views of the savannah. It also might open them up to some other animal exhibits that the safari trucks make difficult to hold, due to some of the more free-roaming aspects of the attraction. I’m in.
GREEN

Concept 5 -- Spirit of the Lion King -- Boy, wouldn’t certain posters on this forum LOVE it if we had an attraction that was shorthanded as “Spirit”...

As for the attraction, sign me up. I was hesitant at first, blush, just trying to conceive of an attraction like the Lion King in which the outdoor landscape plays such a part in the story, and turning it into an inside attraction seemed a tough sell.

The thing is, you sold it. You got the “book report” style dark ride correct IMO, not making it exactly a “greatest hits”, but telling a story also. You hit the scenes right, painted the picture of what the intimate scenes are and what the set-pieces are. I can picture the attraction in my head, and it would be a very successful one indeed.
GREEN

Concept 6: Hallelujah Trails -- Is it tougher to imagineer in a section of the park in which we currently have only scant details on? Let’s see how we do.

Editorializing for a second because it’s my post and I’ll judge as I want to (judge as I want to, juuudge as I want to), I’m a huge supporter of Pandora in DAK. I’m looking forward to visiting it, I’ve said from day one that done right (and only done right), this place is going to be spectacular.

Well, things like what you’ve described here absolutely should be involved in Pandora. It’s interesting to create a walk-through with AA critters. I wonder, would you do something to try and keep the flow moving? Even with lots of randomized events, if someone wanted to stare at an AA creature for long enough, it might break the spell that the brief encounters hold so well for us.

Still, walking around the natural habitat of Pandora is exactly the kind of thing I want included.
GREEN

Concept 7: The Jungle Beats -- Confession time, a two parter. 1) I LOVE the Jungle Book. Favorite Disney film, and a ton of that is it’s music. 2) I’ve never been really drawn to Ska. Sure, I had a few of the standard “big” albums that most people had, but it never grabbed me. My wife hates this and will go on and on about Ska and it’s tie into punk and how I’m an uneducated musical philistine.

That being said, it’s an interesting take. I’m worried that it would be over the heads of a lot, but I guess as long as the music was good, it would do what it needs to do, draw a crowd, bring up energy, and give people a reason to either sit down for a while, or get up and dance (in the hot hot Florida sun and humidity).

You could probably sell me on just about anything involving Baloo and The Bear Necessities. I’ve not 100% made up my mind on this one though, but realizing that my personal musical tastes do not represent a large group of the population, I’m digging the outside of the box thinking on this one. And if Ska doesn’t work out, it’s not like we couldnt convince Big Bad Voodoo Daddy or someone to rewrite it to swing or something similar. I do think that there is enough here, and it's such an out-of-the-box idea that I'm going
GREEN

Concept 8: One Sky Parade -- I like the idea of bringing different world cultures together for this parade. I think that DAK should try and focus on the animals instead of the culture though. Let Epcot handle the world cultures for their main theme. As a bonus though, when the 9 foot tall Na’vi come walking down the street, it’ll be a site to see.
RED

Concept 9: Dino Institute -- Confession number *whatever number it is now*. I unabashedly and unapologetically love Chester and Hester’s. There, I said it.

That said, in the name of the competition, I’m doing my best to remove personal connections or biases (which will be either a great gift or great disadvantage to the person who picked Epcot ;) ).

I’m trying to set the scene in my head. Are we making the Dino Institute an island? Is it still located somewhere in the nebulous middle of the country that the current setting is located? I think it’s the island, so I’ll use that.

Dinosaur, I’m in on the changes. It’s such a good attraction, some quick updates can do a world of good.

For the other dinosaurs, are these walk-up attractions? Is it like a zoo, with animals inside cages? How does that tie into the nahtazu? It’s a college campus and a zoo together? I think I need some more details here before I give this one the green. Is a yellow light an option? If not,
RED

Concept 10: Primordial River -- I like the idea of a family friendly dino attraction. Heck, if you want to partner with me on ideas from my manifesto, I’ve got a stack of AA dinosaurs I’m willing to give you right out of Ellen’s Energy Napatorium.

It does seem like the Carnotaurus ending kind of goes against the family-friendly vibe the rest of the ride brings. Seems like it could be a little intense. I agree that the ride needs a little “conflict” to make it interesting, but maybe instead of putting a huge carnivorous dinosaur at the end, we could find a slight variation that might make it easier for kids to digest without flipping the F out. Either way, I think there’s promise here and a good addition to a section of the park that gets no love. Maybe modify the ending, or make sure it’s less scary and we’re
GREEN

6/10 Greenlit

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
@orlando678-

Epcot -- Note. I’ve mentioned this before, but I have an obvious strong opinion about Epcot (see link in signature). I have not read the submission yet, I’m trying to write all of this off the cuff, spur of the moment. I will do my abject best to separate out any imagineering I may have done on my part from the judging.

Concept 1: Walt Disney Epcot Center Gallery -- Ok, starting off in my sweet spot (stay unbiased, stay unbiased...). First, I’ve been a fan of making the entrance more green and water focused, so I’m all about that. Second, I would spend all day, many days, in this gallery, reliving my childhood. Maybe we can even get @marni1971 onboard as an official historian!

From a practical standpoint, this is a low-cost, low impact attraction. It sets up the park nicely, bringing focus back to where focus deserves to be, on what this park was and should be again. It also will be skipped by the masses waddling off to get drunk in World Showcase. That’s ok though, I’d buy DVC points to slap a cot in this attraction and just move in.
GREEN and where do I deposit my downpayment?

Concept 2: Future World Peoplemover -- So the peoplemover plays two functions here, transportation and attraction in itself. Logistically it might be rough, how many people fit in these, how often do they run, what is the throughput? If people have to wait 50 minutes to get from Energy over to Imagination, we’re likely in for problems. As an attraction in itself though, its a valuable addition, especially again hitting in on the history and meaning of the park. I also dig that you’ve used it to set up the entrance to Seabase Alpha by making it transport you underwater. That bit of storytelling is sorely lacking in Nemo. I’m still concerned about the wait-time of the attraction though, not knowing how easily they will be loaded and unloaded.
RED

Concept 3: Universe of Energy -- This attraction needs some T-L-C in a major way. I think that you’ve hit on some good topics, some weak points in the attraction. I wonder where the additional space for the final scenes will come from? Is there an expansion to the show building that is included? If so, that would make sense. You’re touching on the idea of green technologies, hinting at climate change, and I think that we need to tackle it head-on in a take no prisoners attitude. Smoggy London is a start, can we go further? The final reveal of the green energy city of the future though is very Epcot, and would be really great to show a green city, nature intertwined into the city, algae energy generation, wind, solar, hydro, etc all together showing the powering of the new city. This is the strong scene here.
RED for now, with potential to turn green with a few tweaks on the message.

Concept 4: Wonders of Weather -- Lots of ideas here. First, I kind of get the placement of the pavilion, between the Land and the Seas. Weather makes sense in the context of land and seas, since they are two main drivers of the weather system. I don’t know if there is actually space there to fit a pavilion with multiple attractions, including a dark ride, an e-ticket, an IMAX, and a restaurant, plus exhibits. Thats one hellabig pavilion. Plus, the description of the rising sun seems to fit another pavilion that already exists in Future World SO WELL.
dna228975LARGE.jpg

Anyway, that aside, I’m always for more entertaining and educational dark rides in Epcot. It does seem like your dark ride and your e-ticket share a few common themes, experiencing weather events. If I’m in WDI holding the budget strings, I’m making you pick one of them and I’m consolidating the best ideas from both into a new experience. I also like the film with Cloudy and want to bring my family to see it. I think it could be done in IMAX, or in smaller scale space permitting. Overall, the concept still needs work, so since it was presented as a whole, it’s gotta be
RED for now.

Concept 5: 1001 Arabian Nights Adventure -- I don’t have to actually say a lot here. Greenlit. Done. I’m in line already.
GREEN

Concept 6: London Red Bus Tour -- Took me a minute to get what you were talking about with having the CM leave and come back. You’re mostly thinking the CM wouldn’t have to sit there the whole time, but could appear, sit down, and leave the ride without anyone knowing. Depending on the motion sickness aspect for a CM riding it over and over, I’d love it if the CM could stay there, give some live narration, do some British dry humor to give the madcap adventure a little flavor ala Jungle Cruise crossed with Monty Python. Still, everything else here I’m liking. It’s a fun little concept, can likely be done with a smaller footprint, and would be a great addition to the UK pavilion.
GREEN

Concept 7 Gondolas di Venezia -- Again, I’m trying to picture the space for this, how big the showbuilding would need to be and if there is room backstage to add it, but a nice boatride and especially with a talented singing CM leading it would be a very pleasant way to spend 5-10 minutes, especially after stuffing one’s face with pizza and sangria from Via Napoli.
GREEN

Concept 8 Switzerland -- Switzerland has always seemed like such a no-brainer to add at Epcot, from the ability to clone Matterhorn, the shopping and food, and general Euro-centric focus that World Showcase seems to like to highlight. I’m afraid that you might get fanboy riots for changing the Matterhorn, even if it makes so much sense, because the Yeti already has a place in WDW. You’ve got a location at least that might hold the full-sized Matterhorn. You also would have to worry about all the idiots wondering why Elsa’s castle isn't on top of the mountain. For now, the concept just isn’t fully there to give it the green, but it’s really close!
RED

Concept 9: Greece -- I like the idea of the Greek mythology focused ride. I for some reason was picturing something akin to Mystic Manor, which looks to be phenominal. There is so much cool history that could be mined here, minotaurs, krackens, gods, etc. High potential here. Plus, Greek food is the bomb. I think this place would become a massive stop during Food and Wine for the drunkytown crowd, with Ouzo flowing and poor cast members cleaning up shards of plates from drunks throwing them yelling OPA!!! Either way, highly entertaining people-watching.
GREEN

Concept 10 Egypt: I’m again digging the boat ride here. I think that boat rides are highly underrated. We’d have to be careful that World Showcase doesn’t become Drunkytown Boatride Park. Gran Fiesta, Frozen-Strom, Egypt, Italy. Still, boatrides are good family attractions that have a completely different feel from darkrides.

We’d have to be very careful that the Sphinx coaster doesn’t feel too Mummy-esque. I love the Mummy coaster at Universal, it’s one of my favorites in both parks there. I think that this coaster, with the different cars and the boobytraps/scarabs might come too close to looking like we’re copying an older Universal attraction.
RED

5/10 Greenlit

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
@DisneyPrincess1993

Disney’s Hollywood Adventure

Part of the reason why it’s in need of a serious upgrade is due to the fact that it only has 5 rides. I hope to offer a “new hope” to this theme park, and “awaken” its potential through my new additions.
84521d1360416621-resident-evil-archives-09-02-2013-closed-525bff8c_happy-i-see-what-you-did-there.png

Concept 1: New Entrance -- You had me until Stormtroopers. And don’t get me wrong, I get why you put them there. I’m a massive Star Wars fan. I love it, and am going to inquire about prices for selling blood and plasma to ensure I’m among the first visitors to whatever Star Wars Land is created. But we’re entering Old Hollywood, attraction posters like movie posters. Stormtrooprs just seems like such a non-sequitur. It breaks any theme that you are building up with the entrance, and jars the entire entrance, going from Stormtroopers to Old Hollywood and the Chinese Theater.
RED with Stormtroopers, green with an unnamed alternative.

Concept 2: Parking Structure -- Infrastructure is never sexy. It is however needed. DHS/DHA needs a parking structure.
GREEN

Concept 3: Star Wars: Chronicles of the Rebellion -- Star Wars geekiness runs strong within this one. It took me a second read to place the ride system, but trackless seems like a good fit. As a SW fan, I’d question why a bounty hunter is riding in a TIE Fighter instead of his/her/it’s own ship. Could we be recruits “forced” into service with the Empire? Or can the ride vehicles look like an array of starships. I get the Tie Fighter thing for logistical reasons, they are small vehicles and easier to make look convincing in a realistic fashion. Bounty Hunters though didn’t ride around in TIEs as far as I’m aware (though not fully versed in my EU book knowledge).

Still, you’re giving me a Hutt, Bounty Hunters, Vader/Obi hologram / AA figures, and a starship chase. It’s so close to gold, I’m having a hard time deciding. I’ve given reds for smaller nitpicks than this in other reviews, but I wanna ride this ride! UGH (closes his eyes and clicks)
GREEN

Concept 4 Millenium Falcon walkthrough -- Argh. Do you realize that I’m being asked to nitpick lifelong dreams here, because I feel I was nitpicky on the other contestants???

So, I want to walk around the Falcon. I want to play chess. I want to sit in the captains chair and tell Chewie to “Punch It!!!”. My question would be a logistical one. There is only 1 captains chair. 1 chess table. 1 set of stowaway smuggling parts, 2 gun posts. This is going to be an incredibly popular attraction, even if it’s just a walkthrough. I have to fight for my kids to be able to get to click a button on a mock-up of a 727 in the local museum. There would be some serious logistical controls in place to get people in and out, and still make them feel like they are getting their time/money/dreams worth.
RED, but if you want to come over and help me build this in my backyard, its ON.

Concept 5: Mos Eisley Cantina-- This one seems like again a no brainer. Dinging you again on the details feels like I’m turning into this guy

latest

Still, two things you specifically called out on the surface sound fun, but don’t fit with the Disney attention to detail we love. In the cantina, there wouldn’t be a Han Shot First sign, but there would be dark blaster marks on the wall in a specific booth, and if they were smart and made the marks (or Greedo blood) just behind one side, completely disregarding the silly, forced Lucas redo, it would make us geeks happy.

Similarly, having the cantina band play the one “famous” song is fine. But can you imagine a full meal, start to finish, with nothing but that song playing? You’d be apt to pull out your lightsaber and cut off the server’s arm yourself!

RED for now, but the idea just needs refining

Concept 6 Swedish Chef’s Factory - Small note, some of the things that would make up my Inside Out Islands of Personality would be Star Wars, EPCOT Center, and Muppets.

You get me eating in Swedish Chef’s place, with some version of Swedish Chef entertaining me, I’m never leaving. Ok, I’m leaving to ride some Star Wars goodness, then I’m coming back. I’m eating 3 meals a day there.
GREEN

Concept 7 - Monsters Inc Door Coaster -- The good thing here is that they’d just have to dust off their shelved plans, right @marni1971? Again, this one seems like it’s flat out insane that they haven’t built already.
GREEN

Concept 8: A Bugs Life: Play and Ride -- I get the “and Ride” part, what is the “Play”? A Bugs Life dark ride would work well. I love the film, I would enjoy visiting them and so would my kids. I get the train’s connection to the film, but would we be going down inside the ant colony in our train? It does seem like an easy transition from HiSTK to Bugs Life though. Still, I don’t feel I have enough detail here to really picture the attraction.
RED

Concept 9: Up: A Journey to Paradise Falls -- Again, I love Up. I’d love to walk in the house. I’d love to visit Paradise Falls. I’m concerned about sight-lines here. If we’re building a fully immersive Star Wars area, we now have to make sure every square inch is covered and themed because we’re taking guests up to massive heights. I’m also not sure how the 60 people would be “seated” here? Standing? Looking out windows (and do we have enough windows and still the ability to stay “true” to the iconic house)? What precautions do we have against disasters? How long are they up in the air? Is this a 30 minute attraction?
RED

Concept 10 Journey into Disney Imagination -- I kind of love how overwhelmingly “Disney” this is. It’s like Philharmagic had a drunken fling with Forbidden Journey and birthed an amazing attraction. I didn’t see height requirements on this, or if it would be intense like FJ is or not. I know both of my kids would want to ride the heck out of this, I would hope that they could. Just the right version of intensity. It's like a Hunter S. Thompson gonzo Disney fever-dream, in the best possible ways. I have no idea how feasible this ride is to actually pull off, but I’m giving you all the budget I have to make it happen.
GREEN

5/10 Greenlit

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Here is my review for @TheOriginalTiki What I will do in the reviews is I will enter each of 10 addition titles and next to it I will either Green Light it, Green Light* it (which means that there's one thing you need to adjust, but overall it's approved) or I will Defer it. There was not one project where I could get myself to Deny it, which is a testament to the creative ingenuity of all the finalists. So if I don't approve something, I will defer it and add in why I felt the design needed some tweaks to be greet lit.

Also to add a little fun to these reviews, I'm going to include some "quotes" from Disney Board members and their opinions on some of your projects. Mostly parodies. Okay with that said, here we go!

@TheOriginalTiki - Animal Kingdom

1 - Disco No Longer: The New Expedition Everest - Green Light*
I approved this mostly because the Yeti is being fixed, but this section confused me:
"The first major addition will be an expansion to the backwards section of the ride. A lot of the track in this area will be completely reworked and extended to showcase a brand new set piece."
How would that happen? The ride goes really fast in the backwards section, and how would you then come back to the drop? I think that would really bump the cost up for this attraction, and a few more detailed explanations as to how you could do this and I would remove the asterisk, but that was really my only issue. Other than that a great first addition!

"Oh ...the Yeti is supposed to move?" - Anonymous WDW Board of Directors member

2 - Roots: An All New Dining Adventure in the Tree of Life - Green Light
At first I was going to defer this simply because I really like ITTBAB, but then as I read on I understood your position and quite agreed with you. A restaurant in the Tree of Life would parallel the other Disney "kingdom" theme park with Cinderella's Royal Table inside the park's icon. It's a nice touch and with all your other attraction additions, there is still a net gain of attractions even with the removal of ITTBAB.

"Very good idea...just make sure we don't include any original napkins. All napkins must be brand approved with the Disney Parks logo"
- Anonymous WDW Board of Directors member

3 - Ellie's Conservation Station: A New Look for Planet Watch - Defer
I deferred this one because I think the transition from Africa/Asia to an Up themed Skyway is a little drastic. And I also think there were some liberties taken. Since there's only 10 additions that can be made, I feel like there's 2 additions in this proposal: the Skyway and the Conservation Station. I really like your idea for Conservation Station, but the theme disparity from the Skyway combined with the fact that it's 2 additions has tempted me to defer it. I also think that while we didn't assign a budget, realism has to take some influence on a green-lit project, and that's how I came to the decision.

4 - Harambe Railway - Green Light
Really like what you did here. While a tad Blue Sky, it's actually a pretty neat concept. I enjoy the Railway at DAK but the one thing that holds it back for me is the length. Kilaminjaro's Safari is basically the size of the Magic Kingdom, so having a train go around there would be very cool.

5 - Spirit of the Lion King - Green Light*
I always wondered why they never included a dark ride for The Lion King. And especially with the continent of Africa at their disposal in Animal Kingdom. The one drawback may be Festival of the Lion King, but if you look at places like Cars Land, Harry Potter, and so on, having multiple rides with the same backstory doesn't seem to affect their popularity. And you really went into detail with this one, scene by scene and did an excellent job selling me on the attraction. My one question is, how tall is Pride Rock? Do you have the space for it in Africa? If you narrowed down the ride scope to a smaller rock or landscape I would have officially green lit it, and while I still do, the size issue is what has me questioning it just a tad.

6 - Hallelujah Trails at Avatar-Land - Green Light
I hope something like this actually comes with the land of Pandora when it opens in 2017, but I'm glad you took the initiative to make sure it does. The one thing that everyone appreciates about Avatar, whether or not you like the film, is that it does have breath-taking visuals. It seems like your walk-through follows through with that view and lives up to the visceral experience of Pandora. You even got James Cameron's attention...

"The title needs more me...James Cameron presents the Hallelujah Trails at Avatar® The World of James Cameron's Pandora from the mind of James Cameron. Much better"
-James Cameron.

7 - The Jungle Beat!" A Swingin' New Jungle Book Show for Animal Kingdom's "Asia - Defer
For this one I was a bit confused why another new addition was added to Asia, when you had just rejuvenated Expedition Everest, there's a newly revamped Kali ride from Session 2, and a Dragon ride in Session 9. With 3 new E-tickets, it's hard for me to approve something that will bring even more traffic into the area. I also wasn't really getting the vibe of this attraction as much as some of your other ones.

8 - Disney's "One Sky" Parade - Green Light
A solid addition to the park and a great way to involve a variety of cultures as well. To an extent I feel like DAK encompasses culture of the different continents that make up its lands, so I like how you tied all that together. Nicely done.

9 - The New "Dino Institute - Defer
While I liked what you did, I felt as if this exceeded the maximum of 10 additions. You had counted this as one addition when you did several things to different areas, so while I really wanted to green light this, based on the parameters I set for my judgments, I had to defer.

10 - Primordial River: The New Family Adventure for Dino Institute - Green Light*
I asterisked this one as well because I really liked where you were going with it, but it feels too similar to Jurassic Park right up the highway. I'll still green-light it since it's not the first time that a ride has been similar, but I think this could have been more unique in it's presentation. Maybe something like Mission Space where you can take the intense Countdown to Extinction and a "light" countdown to Exinction. While I doubt that will ever happen, it could have differed a little more, but it's still a decent proposal.

Overall 7/10 Green

spacemt354

Chili's
@orlando678- - Epcot

1 - Walt Disney Epcot Center Gallery - Green Light
I really like this idea. It's a great way to start your day off at Epcot (or spend your whole day there). A nice, quaint historical retrospective that educates and entertains, something that Epcot stood for way back when. However some on the Board were confused with the proposal...

"Wait, why are Anna and Elsa not included?" - Anonymous WDW Board Member
2 - Future World Peoplemover - Defer
Ok, I'm a big fan of the Peoplemover idea. My hesitation comes at the cost. The Innoventions ceilings are raised because there was a plan to have a peoplemover type attraction in Epcot, it just never happened. While this would be a good way to bring the historical perspective to Epcot, I think it's a little bit too ambitious. If it's going to all the pavilions it will have to go over? under? the monorail? It would look more disorganized like the monorail/peoplemover in Disneyland instead of the properly laid out plan that Epcot (the city) was.

"I really like this concept but it would be better if they extended the monorail. They will do that in a few years" - WDW Bus Driver
3 - Universe of Energy - Defer
I deferred this one for a few reasons. One is, who is the host? Maybe I missed it but is it still Ellen? Also how are you adding the new scenes if the building remains the same. There's a specific layout to the building that would require some kind of extension or expansion to add in those scenes. Though I really liked the green city scene. But it didn't influenced me to keep this proposal 'green lit'...ayo...*crickets*
4 - Wonders of Weather - Defer
Out of all your projects this one pained me the most to defer because of a simple nitpick. I really like the pavilion as a whole, but I count each attraction as a separate addition, and if I counted all of those you'd have over the maximum number of attractions. I won't do that to you! I will defer it, but I will say if they ever want to build a Weather pavilion, I'm calling you.

"Hey, a pavilion about me!" - The Weatherman (Bob Iger)
5 - 1001 Arabian Nights Adventure - Green Light
This just seems awesome. You described it very well and everything seems to flow very nicely. It would be a great addition to the pavilion.
6 - London Red Bus Tour - Green Light
Okay this is also really interesting. I like the simulator take, as that would fit in the UK pavilion. Is there a specific spot you were thinking about? I just try to picture in my head where it would go and I'm assuming somewhere behind the British Revolution? There should be enough space though and this would be very cool.
7 - Gondolas di Venezia - Green Light*
Again this one is actually very similar to my issue with your Italy ride in Session 5, where it just seems like there's not a lot of space in the pavilion for a large attraction like this. I will green light it just because I trust that you will find the space...maybe instead of putting it behind Italy, you build out towards WS? They already have the gondalas lined up there and with Mexico they extended the restaurant out into the lagoon. Not sure if it could be large, or feasible, but I'm trying to help ya out because I want this.
8 - Matterhorn Bobsleigh - Defer
I think this ride should stay in Disneyland. While it could be very great, I think the mountain would end up dominating the WS skyline, and I like the skyline the way it is.​

9 - thrýlous ti̱s Elláda - Green Light
I took Greek in college so you are barking up the right tree here. I think this is a great idea and after reading through 9 of these so far, I notice you have a very keen writing ability where although it's a lot of text, it actually flows very nicely when you get into it. Off topic, but anyway, nice attraction.​
10 - Egypt - Defer
This deferral is going to fall in line with some of the other deferrals where I think that having two attractions is not really one "addition" At least I don't consider it to be. On those terms, while this type of pavilion would be lovely, I just can't approve it if the attraction count goes over the limit. But you did a solid job with it.
Overall, 5/10 Green

spacemt354

Chili's
@DisneyPrincess1993 - Disney's Hollywood Adventure

1 - New Entrance - Green Light*

Off the bat, I like your thought process expanding the entrance way. The one minor thing that got me was the Stormtroopers and the break from the Old Hollywood vibe as you enter the park. Going to your other attraction coming up, those Stormtroopers might be better off at the Star Wars ride. But it's a minor thing that I will give to you because expanding the entrance is a good maneuver,

2 - Parking Garage - Green Light

Nice job with the parking lot, this is something that DHS/DHA/TPFKAMGMS? needs and would benefit from.

3 - Star Wars: Chronicles of the Rebellion - Green Light

Star Wars dark ride?...GREEN LI--- hmm...let me actually read it first. The one question I have is regarding the ride vehicles. Will you be enclosed inside the TIE-Fighter or will there just be an overhead part like in Soarin? But that's really minor. This ride has everything a Star Wars fan could ask for. I'm sold. So is the BoD as well...

"You know this makes a lot of sense, we should have done this years ago" - Every Imagineer ever.

4 - Millennium Falcon Walk-Through - Defer

Hm, okay I would love to see the Millennium Falcon, but how will the crowd-control work. You will have every sweaty Star Wars nerd living in this thing for the entire day. Is it a walk-through and no stopping? Because that's not going to happen and there will be a huge backup. Especially if people come off the ride and out of Mos Eisley, there will be traffic from two different directions. If there was more detail on how the crowd control is managed, I would green light it, until then it just needs some retooling.

5 - Mos Eisley Cantina - Green Light

This would be great. While in the film, I don't think its large enough to be a full restaurant? But now you're giving me an excuse to go watch Star Wars again. I will green light and ask questions later for this...though I do think this will be very crowded and claustrophobic if designed after the film.

6 - Muppet Swedish Chef Factory - Green Light

Nice addition. This kinda goes with the entertainment dining theme of the park, such as Sci-Fi and 50s Prime Time. You get entertained while you eat and that's never a bad thing, especially when it involves the Muppets.

7 - Monsters Inc Door Coaster - Green Light

This has been an armchair and rumored project for years. This sounds really cool and I would love to ride this. The ride system is a little interesting, do your feet dangle? And you're on the side of the doors? I'm picturing X-2 where the seats are off the ends of the track...minus the spinning of course. But overall a really family friendly ride that the park needs.

*Dusts off 2007 Imagineer book* "Hey look what I found!" - Anonymous WDW Board Member

8 - A Bug's Life Play and Ride - Green Light*

I will green light this one too because the park needs more family rides. You had put a height limit on Monsters Inc and it got me thinking...did Star Wars have a height requirement? While I really think A Bug's Life is a sleeper Pixar classic, I didn't read where the Play option was. I'm assuming it's in the queue? Is the queue interactive? You had said it took the place of HISTK so is it the same playset just rethemed to a queue? Kinda like how Dumbo is now? I'll green light it but I put the asterisk on it because of that one piece of info, but I still thought this would be a good ride.

9 - Up: Journey to Paradise Falls - Defer

While this would be great, I'm having concerns about how the balloon would function with 60 people wandering around the house. It seems like a really good idea but does the balloon reach 180 feet or does the house? If it's the house, then there will need to be a red light blinking on top of the balloon, because Florida law requires it for anything over 200 ft and the balloon portion would definitely go over it.

10 - Journey into Disney Animation - Green Light

This is like the Disney Animation version of the MCU Infinity War. So many characters and so much awesomeness. It reminds me of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but in a good way. It becomes it's own entity with the story-line and the sheer scope of the attraction. I really wish there was a way to make this a reality. It would be great. Not much negative to say about it, only that it's a castle and how would that blend in with the rest of Animation Studios? Would all of it be rethemed to a castle design? Because if not it would be a random castle in the middle of a studio. Other than that, the attraction itself is a must-see for me

Overall, 8/10 Green

TheOriginalTiki

I wish I could pull up the exact quote, but I distinctly remember someone asking if refurbishing an entire land but not adding anything (which is what I did for my "Dino Institute" presentation) counted as one thing and you guys said it does. I think that's also true of my Conservation Station as the transportation to get to the island is all part of the experience. It'd be like if someone refurbished both the rafts to TSI and Tom Sawyer Island itself, but you counted that as two different additions...um, no. Rafts to TSI are a key part of the overall TSI experience, and I feel the same way about Conservation Station.

As for Dino Institute, literally the only things I did were rename the land, move and re-skin a flat ride, and refurbish CtE. There's a reason I did a separate presentation for the actual NEW thing that I put in there.

As for Jungle Beats....Ya'll are just Ska haters :p :p :p

orlando678-

If you add a land or pavilion, does every shop, restaurant and attraction count as an addition or just one pavilion asa one addition of the 10?

That would count as one addition, but remember to keep in mind just how grand and the scale of which that addition is.

Here you go, I do understand what I did wrong with my weather pavilion though :p

spacemt354

Chili's
I wish I could pull up the exact quote, but I distinctly remember someone asking if refurbishing an entire land but not adding anything (which is what I did for my "Dino Institute" presentation) counted as one thing and you guys said it does. I think that's also true of my Conservation Station as the transportation to get to the island is all part of the experience. It'd be like if someone refurbished both the rafts to TSI and Tom Sawyer Island itself, but you counted that as two different additions...um, no. Rafts to TSI are a key part of the overall TSI experience, and I feel the same way about Conservation Station.

As for Dino Institute, literally the only things I did were rename the land, move and re-skin a flat ride, and refurbish CtE. There's a reason I did a separate presentation for the actual NEW thing that I put in there.

As for Jungle Beats....Ya'll are just Ska haters :p :p :p
Thanks for the feedback! Without getting derailed too much, while you can argue the Skyway/conservation was one addition, at least in my review there were other factors that I included that tempted me to defer it. Whether it was one or two attractions wasn't the main reason. As for Dino, the refurbished Everest counted as one addition, so I considered refurbishing CtE an addition, with other things, extra.

As for the quote,I was going to look for it but @orlando678- brought it up. I believe when @IDInstitute said to mind the "scale" of your addition, he was hinting that the grander the scale of your attraction, the greater chance it has of not being green-lit, since we want to keep a sense of realism.

And also, we could have probably expanded further on the term "addition." In my interpretation, I don't consider Cars Land, for example, one addition, because there are many different attractions inside it. But that's just one interpretation. I think it also speaks to why we wanted a panel of judges for the final challenge. So that one nitpick or so doesn't have huge implications in the grand scheme of things. However, with a panel comes a lot of different viewpoints, which makes for a give and take relationship, because all these reviews are subjective.

I tried to really think about this response because I wanted to make sure I said the right things. Hopefully that offered some insight to the thought-process. And thanks again for the feedback!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom