The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Flower'sChild

Original Poster
I just got back from the midnight showing of the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was awesome > I have never read the book but I remember the old cartoon version. It was interesting because when I watched this movie I started to remember things from the old cartoon.

I am pretty sure that I am going to see this movie again. If I like a movie a lot I will go back and see it in the theater a few more times lol > Also one of these days I will have to read the book he he > The shirt I was wearing had my little buddy Flower standing on Flowers and it said " I Love Flower " :) So people who saw me at the movies could see that I Love Flower :)

catinthehat

The midnight showing?! What a great idea! I am just going tonight instead-- I am thinking of going really early though becasue i am sure it will be packed. I am excited just typing it! I can't wait! Narnia here I come!

imagineer boy

I just got back from it, and I say, job well done! It was very good. They managed to make the small novel into a full fleshed movie. All the special effects were terrific, and so were the sets and costumes. Richard Taylor has out done himself, creating the armor and creature design. All of the cast was great. Liam Neeson was perfect as the voice of Aslan, and the women who played Jadis was great, and was just down right scary at times. All of the cinematography was beautiful, and it was just such a nice film to look at. Another thing I must really comment on was the musical score. It was just so beautiful and uplifting. At first I thought I was going to be dissapointed by the epic battle scene since the movie was rated PG, so I was afraid it would be down played a little, but it wasn't. It was so intense and fantastic ( without getting too gory ). But the one person who really stole the show was the girl who played Lucy. She was absolutly fantastic! I wasn't expecting much from her, but she really stole the show. It might be possible that she could get a nomination for best supporting actress.

Now, it wasn't perfect. There were a few cons. First off, the movie was WAY too long. It seems like Andrew Adamson couldn't bring it to himself to cut a few scenes. Some scenes just plain dragged. Not very good editing or pacing. I also didn't like the voices of the wolves. They were effectivly scary, but they had no british accents, and they just came across as something out of Balto.

Other than those few things, it was an excelent film, and one of the best of the year. Grade: A-

Timmay

Outstanding film all the way around. If you are a fan of the books, you will be on the edge of your seat and your heart will be soaring...just seeing all the things that are so familiar.

If you have not read the books, you are in for a true treat.

Couple of minor concerns, but nothing at all to keep it from greatness.

MickeyTigg

Flower'sChild said:
I just got back from the midnight showing of the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was awesome > I have never read the book but I remember the old cartoon version.

Do yourself a favor...read the book. The only other version of this shouldn't be a cartoon.

Flower'sChild said:
The shirt I was wearing had my little buddy Flower standing on Flowers and it said " I Love Flower " So people who saw me at the movies could see that I Love Flower

Why do you have to say this in every post? I think you've made your point...you love Flower....you have a thing for stuffed animals....whatever.

--------------------------------

I will agree with you...the movie is great. Saw it this afternoon and I really liked it. Very well done.

WDWScottieBoy

I went to the set they have at MGM and they showed about 10 minutes of clips from the movie, as well as some cool props as well. I can't wait to see it Sunday night! :sohappy:

Timmay

Okay, a more in depth review from me...

MAJOR SPOILERS... read below at your won risk

I am not kidding...you better be familiar with the books and want to see some spoilers if you read what is next.

Last chance to turn back

Okay...here we go.

Story:
Very true to the book. There were some changes and additions made. The entire river scene is not in the book. There were some small changes regarding the kids entering the wardrobe. The battle scene is not in the book, we learn from Peter the story of the battle. The movie did a great job of laying it out...even the scene of Edmund taking out the Witch's wand.

Actors and Characters:
Aslan, is of course Aslan. He is in a class all be himself, as is Jadis. Other than that, Lucy and the Beavers steal the show. The kids acting is wonderful. I think back to the first three Harry Potter movies and the acting in LWW make those poor Harry Potter kids look foolish. Harry clearly needs to take some lessons from Lucy on how to do a convincing crying scene. Top notch all the way around. By the way...for those that know their Bible, look for Aslan to quote Jesus and his final words on the cross.

Music:
I am still not sure how I feel. I need to see the movie again and hear the music a few times to make a final judgment. There just didn't seem to be that one tune that says “This is Narnia”. You get that music stuck in your head from movies like LOTR, SW, Gladiator, Titanic...you know that music when you hear it and right away think of the movie. I will just have to see it again.

Effects and Scenery and Costumes:
Costumes were wonderful...the armor being the best (look for Mr. Beaver.)
Scenery...wish I could have seen more, but very, very nice anyway.
The CGI, without question, was great. The animals in the battle scene were done very well. The Fox seemed a little strange to me...but, my experience in dealing with a talking fox is limited, so that could be it. Aslan was very majestic, I was not disappointed in him at all.
There were a couple of “not so great' looking blue screen shots, however, after I got home I saw LOTR TT was on and just happened to see couple of questionable blue screen shots, so I dropped my concern.

Emotions:
Well, having waited for this since I was ten (so 30 years), almost everything was emotional to me. But the best, happiest, and saddest things about the movie?
The Stone Table scene, the Coronation(the look on Edmund's face is priceless), Aslan ripping Jadis' throat out (no, they don't show it, but you can sure picture it in your mind),the Beavers holding han...er, paws, The look of Professor Kirke (boy, are people going to be shocked to see his story, huh). Very sad seeing Susan and knowing her destiny :(

The movie gets Five Stars from me.

PhotoDave219

TiggerRPh said:
Why do you have to say this in every post? I think you've made your point...you love Flower....you have a thing for stuffed animals....whatever.

And i have a thing for the occasional cheap, tawdry jersey girl. :D :lookaroun

Your point? :lol:

dandaman

Timmay said:
Okay, a more in depth review from me...

MAJOR SPOILERS... read below at your won risk

I am not kidding...you better be familiar with the books and want to see some spoilers if you read what is next.

Last chance to turn back

Okay...here we go.

I haven't read the Chronicles, so this is as far as I'll quote. :lookaroun

CTXRover

I saw it today. Imo, its a terrific and wonderfully done film. I enjoyed every minute of it. Its probably my favorite movie of the year by far. I would really like to see it again, but that will have to wait until after Christmas sometime because of my schedule.

If the audience I saw it with was any indication, this will have incredible word of mouth and should have great legs. I'd guess that probably about 75%+ of the sold-out audience clapped all together at the end. I find it very rare for a movie to get any type of applause at the end anymore, let alone so many at once when the credits start to role. Most of the showings at our local theater (which had 4-5 300+ seat theaters showing the movie at any given time) had sold out shows for most of the day. There are apparently several big groups coming tomorrow too (church groups?) and a few of tomorrow's shows are already sold out.

jrriddle

Sorry I posted this in another thread.
I didn't know this was where we were posting reviews.

Just got back. Some quick thoughts...
It was good, quite enjoyable, but it was no LOTR.
Seemed a little more fairytale-ish to me. Not as gritty as LOTR.
Nice visual effects. The whole Christian thing was not too over done. My girlfriend is Jewish and didn't even pick up on it.
The children actors were not annoying, that's a plus.
Tilda Swinton was amazing!!! Stole the whole movie IMHO.
I never say this about a movie, but it felt like it could have been about 1/2 an hour longer.
So bottom line I liked it, but it's going to be crushed by Kong (which I'm dieing to see- also looking forward to Memoirs of a Geisha...Zhang Ziyi :slurp: ).
Probably have more tomorrow after it sinks in a bit.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Saw it yesterday. I was never a big fan of the book and the trailers did absolutely nothing for me, but I went ahead and a gave it a try so I could say that I did and I will say that it was decent. The acting was so-so (I'm a Liam Neeson fan so I thought he was great as Aslan), the dialogue was a bit weak and dragged on at times, and I really don't think the whole battle scene worked as a PG-rated film (LOTR of course did everything better) but the sets and special effects (although thye needed help in a few places like the wolves and some of the other animals) were very good. I give it a B.

imagineer boy

NemoRocks said:
Saw it yesterday. I was never a big fan of the book and the trailers did absolutely nothing for me, but I went ahead and a gave it a try so I could say that I did and I will say that it was decent. The acting was so-so (I'm a Liam Neeson fan so I thought he was great as Aslan), the dialogue was a bit weak and dragged on at times, and I really don't think the whole battle scene worked as a PG-rated film (LOTR of course did everything better) but the sets and special effects (although thye needed help in a few places like the wolves and some of the other animals) were very good. I give it a B.

Glad you saw it.:) Although I don't agree on the acting being so-so. All the performances were practically flawless IMO.

What does everyone think about the oscar possibilities for this one? I'm thinking nominations for best art direction, best production design, best costumes, best cinematography, best visual effects, best musical score, best supporting actress: Tilda Swinton, and best actress Georgie Henely. I'm not very sure about the possibility of best picture or director nominees. I think its very possible as long as the movie is taken seriously. Besides, to be honest, I can't think of any other best picture contenders this year other than Cinderella Man.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
imagineer boy said:
What does everyone think about the oscar possibilities for this one? I'm thinking nominations for best art direction, best production design, best costumes, best cinematography, best visual effects, best musical score, best supporting actress: Tilda Swinton, and best actress Georgie Henely. I'm not very sure about the possibility of best picture or director nominees. I think its very possible as long as the movie is taken seriously. Besides, to be honest, I can't think of any other best picture contenders this year other than Cinderella Man.

Hmmmm....

Best Picture - No chance....Walk the Line, Brokeback Mountain, and Munich are pretty much locks while Good Night, and Good Luck, King Kong, The New World, The Producers, Match Point, and even Crash look to battle for the last two spots.

Best Director - Again, no chance....Steven Spielberg, Terrence Malick, Ang Lee, George Clooney, and Woody Allen are the favorites right now.

Best Actress - No chance once again....everyone is looking at Reese Witherspoon, Keira Knightley, Charlize Theron, Judi Dench, and Felicity Huffman.

Best Supporting Actress - Doubtful....there's no single person anyone is talking about at the moment but Diane Keaton, Uma Thurman, Scarlett Johannson, and Maria Bello are the women that are being talked about right now.

Best Original Score - It's possible, but there's too many other good ones out there right now like Batman Begins, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Munich, King Kong and War of the Worlds.

Best Visual Effects - Already locked up by War of the Worlds, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, and King Kong.

Best Cinematography - Possible noms include Good Night, and Good Luck, Munich, Batman Begins, and Sin City....doesn't have a real shot here.

Best Costume Design - Good chance of getting in but Memoirs of a Geisha is the current favorite.

Best Art Direction - Strong possibility although Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Batman Begins, and The New World are the contenders at the moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom