The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

So the daughter of one of my husband's colleagues has Corona. Her parents are divorced, and she's been at her dad's since last Sunday, so her mom (the colleague) hasn't seen her for a week and the girl just tested positive on Thursday. And another colleague had a test this morning because he had a sore throat and his kids had cold symptoms. And another's kid had a cold last week, so they are all home until they get negative results. I wonder if we're going to end up in quarantine. My work says I can come as long as no one in our house has symptoms, even if the colleagues test positive, which doesn't seem very safe to me, but whatever. I guess we'll see.

I had a driving lesson today and my instructor asked me why I hit the brakes at one point, and also told me not to brake when some 20 somethings walked right into the street to cross and one walked right in front of the car. So I hit the brakes and he's like "Don't hit the brakes! They have to wait! They don't have the right of way." I was like....well, I'd rather hit the brakes than hit them. The problem is that in the Netherlands, even if I have the right of way, if I hit someone on a bike or walking, it's my fault even if they weren't following the rules and I was. I'm supposed to be aware enough to stop so I don't hit them. But my instructor says "But otherwise what you're doing is 'Defensive Driving." And I'm thinking....yeah, and?? Not supposed to drive defensively here. They'd rather you slam on your brakes at the last second than approach an intersection with caution. It's SO counter-intuitive! And I told him "Well, in America, they WANT you to drive defensively, so it's habitual for me." And he says "But are we driving in America or are we driving in the Netherlands?" :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm like "I know that, but when you've done something a certain way for 20 years, it's hard to change that!" Have I mentioned that I hate driving?
Sounds like they are really bad drivers in the Netherlands. So, you shouldn't slow down when people are about to cross in front of your car? Seems downright ludicrous.

Rista1313

So the daughter of one of my husband's colleagues has Corona. Her parents are divorced, and she's been at her dad's since last Sunday, so her mom (the colleague) hasn't seen her for a week and the girl just tested positive on Thursday. And another colleague had a test this morning because he had a sore throat and his kids had cold symptoms. And another's kid had a cold last week, so they are all home until they get negative results. I wonder if we're going to end up in quarantine. My work says I can come as long as no one in our house has symptoms, even if the colleagues test positive, which doesn't seem very safe to me, but whatever. I guess we'll see.

I had a driving lesson today and my instructor asked me why I hit the brakes at one point, and also told me not to brake when some 20 somethings walked right into the street to cross and one walked right in front of the car. So I hit the brakes and he's like "Don't hit the brakes! They have to wait! They don't have the right of way." I was like....well, I'd rather hit the brakes than hit them. The problem is that in the Netherlands, even if I have the right of way, if I hit someone on a bike or walking, it's my fault even if they weren't following the rules and I was. I'm supposed to be aware enough to stop so I don't hit them. But my instructor says "But otherwise what you're doing is 'Defensive Driving." And I'm thinking....yeah, and?? Not supposed to drive defensively here. They'd rather you slam on your brakes at the last second than approach an intersection with caution. It's SO counter-intuitive! And I told him "Well, in America, they WANT you to drive defensively, so it's habitual for me." And he says "But are we driving in America or are we driving in the Netherlands?" :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm like "I know that, but when you've done something a certain way for 20 years, it's hard to change that!" Have I mentioned that I hate driving?
Wait.. you passed your test already, why are you still taking lessons?

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo Hubs and I were just watching a show on Netflix about BBQ and they featured a place called Snows. Looks like it is fairly close to Austin Tx. Have you heard of it or eaten there? I guess it is only open on Saturdays but the food looks amazing!

We’ve heard of it and heard the bbq is awesome, but, we’ve never been to Lexington, TX., even though it’s only about an hour away...I wonder how much longer I would need to live to eat at every great bbq joint in Texas...???!!!!! 🤔:hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom