The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

Amen to that. @21stamps , one of my brothers used to run track in high school as well. As she mentioned above, it was more than occasional running around -- it was a "program". So I'm just throwing that in here to the discussion. Of course, we don't have a clue what T's track program encompasses, but here's two experiences with kids in track.

(I recall my brother telling me that it was after school, and the coach gave them orange (quarter slices) prior to running. It gave them something in their stomach so they wouldn't be hungry, but light enough not to upset it.)

For sure. High school sports are a lot more serious! I never said he’s just going to show up at a meet and run, without practice. I just wanted to make sure that it was laid back, similar to volleyball last year.

i.e. Volleyball was 2 practices per week- T only did 1, due to conflicts. He also missed 4 games due to conflicts.
Soccer and baseball are not laid back in that way, he has to be there.

If he was older it would be different, track and volleyball wouldn’t be that way either. Even something like elementary school SAY soccer is completely different from high school soccer. The school just wants kids to join these teams, knowing that for many they won’t be their main sport. That will change as they age. 4th graders aren’t going to have a rigorous training schedule or at-home work out schedule for track, or any school sport, I’m sure your brother’s school track experience/training at age 9/10 was very different from his training in high school at age 14+.

The thing is, T’s soccer requires constant working on speed and agility. Last year he spent 2.5 months with a private trainer specifically doing acceleration & agility training, in addition to his regular soccer training. For Christmas the kid asked for an agility ladder, small hurdles, and a running parachute, because he enjoys it so much. This is why I walked back on my “no 3rd sport this year” rule after a few days of him begging to join the school track program, it’s right in his wheelhouse and compliments everything else he’s doing.

I’m confident that T will be fine with 1 formal track practice per week (his other 4 weeknights will be soccer and b-ball)
I’m also very interested to see how he does in a more individual sport, I think that will be a different and great experience for him. He’s always done team sports so far.

Edit- I typed this quickly early and went back and edited all of my errors. It looked even more jumbled before. Lol

Last edited:

21stamps

On a non -sports note. My kid’s school has a 4 day weekend. Yesterday he went to a friend’s house straight from school until 8:30pm. When I asked what they did he said “Played XBox, played basketball, went to Chipotle then Graeters for desert, then played Throw Throw Burrito and wrecked each other. “

Sounds fun, bud!

“...Oh, we also went on his trampoline and played soccer on there. It had ice on it and the ball was going high. I jumped for a header then slipped, flew backwards and hit my head on ice. It hurt, bad. But, I’m a man, so I laughed and didn’t cry even though I wanted to.”

“You were on a trampoline in this weather? Did you have shoes on?”

“No, mom. We’re men. We’re tough, ice and cold don’t bother us.”

🙄. Where do kids get this stuff? How do you not laugh in their face when talking?? 🤣
It was a serious effort on my part.lol

StarWarsGirl

On a non -sports note. My kid’s school has a 4 day weekend. Yesterday he went to a friend’s house straight from school until 8:30pm. When I asked what they did he said “Played XBox, played basketball, went to Chipotle then Graeters for desert, then played Throw Throw Burrito and wrecked each other. “

Sounds fun, bud!

“...Oh, we also went on his trampoline and played soccer on there. It had ice on it and the ball was going high. I jumped for a header then slipped, flew backwards and hit my head on ice. It hurt, bad. But, I’m a man, so I laughed and didn’t cry even though I wanted to.”

“You were on a trampoline in this weather? Did you have shoes on?”

“No, mom. We’re men. We’re tough, ice and cold don’t bother us.”

🙄. Where do kids get this stuff? How do you not laugh in their face when talking?? 🤣
It was a serious effort on my part.lol
And they're boys. We still laugh at some of the stuff my older cousins did. Like bungy jumping off the back deck.

Only they didn't have a bungy cord. They had a jump rope. So the older one tied the jump rope around his ankle. And then jumped off the back deck. And hit his head. His mom, my aunt, came out after she heard him and saw him just hanging there by his ankle. "Owww! I hit my head!" "Well, what the ***** did you think was going to happen?" "I don't know, but I didn't think I'd hit my head!" 😂😂😂😂

21stamps

And they're boys. We still laugh at some of the stuff my older cousins did. Like bungy jumping off the back deck.

Only they didn't have a bungy cord. They had a jump rope. So the older one tied the jump rope around his ankle. And then jumped off the back deck. And hit his head. His mom, my aunt, came out after she heard him and saw him just hanging there by his ankle. "Owww! I hit my head!" "Well, what the ***** did you think was going to happen?" "I don't know, but I didn't think I'd hit my head!" 😂😂😂😂

Oh my goodness!! I love this story!! (but definitely don’t want my kid to do it) 😂😂

Figgy1

Premium Member
My house is toasty warm:inlove: Currently in the oven groundhog chili cornbread casserole, pineapple upside down cake GF/sugar free/vegan, baked apples. Later I'm making banana oatmeal, croque monsieur, spring mix salads, roast asparagus and fruit salad, hot and sour soup and tofu veggie stir fry. We have a 3 day weekend and I plan on having some of the time off even if the guys are all here with "nothing" to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! edit 2 pounds of chic peas are in the pressure cooker for hummus

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom