The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

We're cancelling Netflix in December. There's one show I want to finish and then we'll be down to just Amazon and YouTubeTV. Since I pay for a Prime membership for shipping and grocery delivery, and I'm on a family plan for YouTube TV, both costs are negligible. But I do pay $50 a month for my internet so if they could just drop the price on that, that would be great :hilarious: :hilarious:

Ha! That's cheap for internet.. mine is $79

So what do you get to watch with YouTube Red?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Ha! That's cheap for internet.. mine is $79

So what do you get to watch with YouTube Red?

It's actually really cool. It's like a hybrid of cable and on demand tv. So you have all the stuff that airs available live and also in the library for a few months. Then you can search some upcoming stuff and record it (like Disney movies) and have it saved until you delete it. So, like if I want to watch Naked and Afraid, I can watch it live, or I can watch the current and past three or so seasons. When A wanted to watch Hocus Pocus every day, because it aired on cable we recorded it and we watched it to her hearts content. And any of the Disney Jr shows are on there too because it's got three Disney channels

The only real downside is that there are commercial breaks. But I'm willing to accept that for the money savings.

MySmallWorldof4

PA is always high on gas prices. My grandmother gets gas down here when she visits because we're always a good 30-40 cents cheaper. One of many reasons I could not live in PA.
A town north of us is 20 cents cheaper. It makes no sense. Maryland is 20 to 30 cents cheaper, so if the car is close to empty and we are down there, we will fill up.

SteveBrickNJ

A town north of us is 20 cents cheaper. It makes no sense. Maryland is 20 to 30 cents cheaper, so if the car is close to empty and we are down there, we will fill up.
@MySmallWorldof4 , is your town an upper middle class town? Are the property values in your town higher than the town north of you with the cheaper gas? If that's true, your local stations are just charging more simply because they feel they CAN. Profit is king! (Just my theory)

MySmallWorldof4

We're cancelling Netflix in December. There's one show I want to finish and then we'll be down to just Amazon and YouTubeTV. Since I pay for a Prime membership for shipping and grocery delivery, and I'm on a family plan for YouTube TV, both costs are negligible. But I do pay $50 a month for my internet so if they could just drop the price on that, that would be great :hilarious: :hilarious:
Youtube TV is $50 a month. We pay $227 currently for our phone, internet, and cable (with sports package). We pay for the best internet because we have so many devices going at once, and want good streaming. Some school programs are done online as well. We also get Netflix free currently through Comcast.

MySmallWorldof4

@MySmallWorldof4 , is your town an upper middle class town? Are the property values in your town higher than the town north of you with the cheaper gas? If that's true, your local stations are just charging more simply because they feel they CAN. Profit is king! (Just my theory)
They are comparable I think. Our town is bigger maybe? We are actually in a township outside the "bigger town" area. I thought maybe because we are closer to the highway, that that is a factor. You know, burning people that are traveling through. The area north is not really off the highway. You have to drive a little to get to it.

StarWarsGirl

So, seriously, why do you think that is?
Combination of factors. I think parents just don't teach their kids as much as they used to. More mothers work than previously, so in some cases they're so busy that they forget to take the time to teach their kids things. I know that's the case with my friend; her mom runs a daycare at home and just always took care of things herself. My mom was a stay at home mom, so she took more time to teach me to do things for myself, like laundry and cleaning bathrooms.

I think it's also just an experience thing. We're the technology natives. We're used to having information at our fingertips. We're used to the way computers work. Whereas I just had to show an older coworker how to operate one of the vending machines that has a touchscreen. I've had to show my parents how to operate the smart TV and their infotainment systems in their cars that I just kind of figured out. Whereas we've never had to be familiar with the interworkings of a toilet (except for me; I had one that constantly clogged growing up) or an internal combustion engine, so when we see it for the first time and it's unfamil, our brains kind of go, "Nope." The same way someone who isn't familiar with technology will look at a computer and go, "Nope."

And then, I also think the older generations give themselves a bit too much credit. Like, yes maybe you could have operated that washing machine, but there was something else at that age that completely threw you, but it's been so long that you can't remember that time. My mom has told me that when she was first married, she called her parents because sometimes, she needed advice or there was stuff she didn't know how to do. No different than when I called my mom because I couldn't figure out the leaf blower. And then, there are the NJ students who definitely figured out how to pump gas, but it doesn't make for a very good story, so you never hear about it. And I think because of that, we get some exaggerations as well. I had someone tell me (on the boards, not on this thread) that when I entered the workforce, I'd be embarrassed by the behavior of some of my peers. Well, I've been in the workforce for three years now and have not been embarrassed once by people my own age. Maybe that person just had some bad experiences idk.

But basically, I don't think it's one factor, and I think it's more a societal shift than anything.

StarWarsGirl

A bit of Googling and I found the answer. PA has a 77 cent tax per gallon of gas. It's 34 cents per gallon in Maryland. Apparently it goes towards road repair in PA, but given that MD's roads are also better...idk.

Rista1313

It's actually really cool. It's like a hybrid of cable and on demand tv. So you have all the stuff that airs available live and also in the library for a few months. Then you can search some upcoming stuff and record it (like Disney movies) and have it saved until you delete it. So, like if I want to watch Naked and Afraid, I can watch it live, or I can watch the current and past three or so seasons. When A wanted to watch Hocus Pocus every day, because it aired on cable we recorded it and we watched it to her hearts content. And any of the Disney Jr shows are on there too because it's got three Disney channels

The only real downside is that there are commercial breaks. But I'm willing to accept that for the money savings.
So.... I'm still confused... what kind of shows does it have (air?) everything?

Rista1313

Combination of factors. I think parents just don't teach their kids as much as they used to. More mothers work than previously, so in some cases they're so busy that they forget to take the time to teach their kids things. I know that's the case with my friend; her mom runs a daycare at home and just always took care of things herself. My mom was a stay at home mom, so she took more time to teach me to do things for myself, like laundry and cleaning bathrooms.

I think it's also just an experience thing. We're the technology natives. We're used to having information at our fingertips. We're used to the way computers work. Whereas I just had to show an older coworker how to operate one of the vending machines that has a touchscreen. I've had to show my parents how to operate the smart TV and their infotainment systems in their cars that I just kind of figured out. Whereas we've never had to be familiar with the interworkings of a toilet (except for me; I had one that constantly clogged growing up) or an internal combustion engine, so when we see it for the first time and it's unfamil, our brains kind of go, "Nope." The same way someone who isn't familiar with technology will look at a computer and go, "Nope."

And then, I also think the older generations give themselves a bit too much credit. Like, yes maybe you could have operated that washing machine, but there was something else at that age that completely threw you, but it's been so long that you can't remember that time. My mom has told me that when she was first married, she called her parents because sometimes, she needed advice or there was stuff she didn't know how to do. No different than when I called my mom because I couldn't figure out the leaf blower. And then, there are the NJ students who definitely figured out how to pump gas, but it doesn't make for a very good story, so you never hear about it. And I think because of that, we get some exaggerations as well. I had someone tell me (on the boards, not on this thread) that when I entered the workforce, I'd be embarrassed by the behavior of some of my peers. Well, I've been in the workforce for three years now and have not been embarrassed once by people my own age. Maybe that person just had some bad experiences idk.

But basically, I don't think it's one factor, and I think it's more a societal shift than anything.

OK, I can see some valid points. Now I'm going to sit here and think about if there is anything I remember calling my parents for that I didn't know.... but I'm old and my memory has faded, so I may not remember. :hilarious: I do remember calling my step mom for certain recipes that I didn't have.

I remember my mom teaching me (she died when I was 15, so this is all that age and younger) how to do laundry, but she left me to figure how to vacuum and dust. (I still hate dusting!) I don't recall her teaching me how to do dishes, but I'm guessing she did. That's another source of weirdness with me.... I was taught to fill the sink with hot soapy water and then wash the dishes that way, rinsing in the other sink. But I see younger generations not filling the sink, and just washing 1 thing at a time with the water running. It seems foreign to me.

I remember my dad teaching me how to change a tire, and how to use jumper cables, and how to check my oil. He took me to the SoS (DMV for most of you) and walked me thru registering my first car, getting my license and license plate. I don't remember him showing me how to pump gas though.

Mostly I remember learning by watching... and I think that kids are so into screens now, that they don't watch their parents do stuff just because they are bored. (I was an only child at the time)

I feel lucky, I am on the cusp of the generation just before computers... we had a basic language computer course (9 weeks) when I was in Jr. high that I took, then no computers in high school because they didn't have many, and only the popular kids got to take that class (why? who knows!) But when I started working for the airlines(18)..it was the new age for the computers, and I learned a lot there, and have always had a love for them (computers and airlines) I even learned to build computers, back when it was cheaper to build yourself a good computer than buy one.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

OK, I can see some valid points. Now I'm going to sit here and think about if there is anything I remember calling my parents for that I didn't know.... but I'm old and my memory has faded, so I may not remember. :hilarious: I do remember calling my step mom for certain recipes that I didn't have.

I remember my mom teaching me (she died when I was 15, so this is all that age and younger) how to do laundry, but she left me to figure how to vacuum and dust. (I still hate dusting!) I don't recall her teaching me how to do dishes, but I'm guessing she did. That another source of weirdness with me.... I was taught to fill the sink with hot soapy water and then wash the dishes that way, rinsing in the other sink. But I see younger generations not filling the sink, and just washing 1 thing at a time with the water running. It seems foreign to me.

I remember my dad teaching me how to change a tire, and how to use jumper cables, and how to check my oil. He took me to the SoS (DMV for most of you) and walked me thru registering my first car, getting my license and license plate. I don't remember him showing me how to pump gas though.

Mostly I remember learning by watching... and I think that kids are so into screens now, that they don't watch their parents do stuff just because they are bored. (I was an only child at the time)

I feel lucky, I am on the cusp of the generation just before computers... we had a basic language computer course (9 weeks) when I was in Jr. high that I took, then no computers in high school because they didn't have many, and only the popular kids got to take that class (why? who knows!) But when I started working for the airlines(18)..it was the new age for the computers, and I learned a lot there, and have always had a love for them (computers and airlines) I even learned to build computers, back when it was cheaper to build yourself a good computer than buy one, I learned how to do that too.
I have to comment on the learning things from parents. When I was young, kids my age were big into stereos and what not, but my parents were hooked on tv and computer stuff. Especially my mom. She was so hooked on television that teaching me things and helping me learn about the world (and spending time with me mostly) was last on her to do list. So, I had to teach myself, or more so had to figure it out on my own. I was fortunate and very blessed that a man that eventually came into my life around college time (and later became husband) helped teach me about the world. Ha, I still ask questions today and feel like such a small kid doing so but he always helps. I guess it just depends on the situations at home too and how kids were brought up.

SteveBrickNJ

They are comparable I think. Our town is bigger maybe? We are actually in a township outside the "bigger town" area. I thought maybe because we are closer to the highway, that that is a factor. You know, burning people that are traveling through. The area north is not really off the highway. You have to drive a little to get to it.
Your theory is probably correct regarding your town. Makes sense to me ;)In my town we have such a wide range of prices. If the station is near the entrance to the Garden State Parkway then the price is high. Yet in the center of town, there are a few stations in close proximity to each other. These stations have to compete with each other.... and location is not really a factor...so the prices at these stations are lower.

Rista1313

Yes, everything. Like... I watch football and hockey games, and cable tv shows. It doesn't have specialty channels like HBO or anything, but basically anything you can find on cable tv you can get on YouTube TV
So is everything available the day after like hulu, or ? Sorry I have a million questions.. I just never met anyone who actually subscribed to it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom