The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Me either. I am thinking of getting another certification for my ESL teaching so that I can teach one level higher. A kid I really like will be moving up shortly and I hate to not be able to work with him anymore. He is such a great kid. That and the summer has been flat for bookings. I am trying to motivate myself to do this mock videorecorded class so I can accomplish that.
How much effort/time/money would you have to invest to get the certification? If it's not too much, I say go for it. Higher levels generally mean more motivated students and you'll have that much more reach for the better students.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
To be honest I have never seen caddies at any course I have played other then the one elite one that I played with a business connection. Where I am it is a mix of carts to walkers. Golf Courses make a profit on renting the golf cart and frankly some of the hilly courses I played in my youth would not be possible at my age.

There are a couple of courses that I play now. One is a very challenging par 3 (golfers would understand what that is in the golf world) Because it is a course where the plan is that you hit the green with your first shot they don't allow carts off the designated paved path. But, since I am a lousy golfer and aging hasn't shown any improvement with that, I still have to do a lot of walking. Right now, I am limited in how far I can walk at one time, so this works out just about right. As long as I can sit for a couple of minutes things straighten up and I can walk more. So for me it is an absolute necessity. I can only play the bigger courses if they allow carts anywhere except on the green itself. Many courses, especially crowded ones, do not allow walking, at least not in the busy hours, because 1. They don't get extra money for cart rental if you walk and 2. It really does slow the pace down. Carts now enable you to play golf in less time and are less fatigued after. Not as much exercise, but, that's what they make gyms for.

Got more of an answer then you bargained for huh? The answer in capsule form is "yes and no". 😛👨‍🎓

That was very informative and thank you. Kinda sounds like summer jobs for high school caddies are few and far between now. Oh well, there's usually openings at city and town pools/beaches for high school lifeguards. Maybe that's where some of the kids go for work now, during the summer months. (Although I read last season that a number of locations weren't getting the number of kids applying for lifeguard positions, as in previous years.) Maybe the summer jobs now are more tech oriented, instead.

KBLovedDisney

This whole age changer FaceApp thingy is scaring the heck out of me. My cousin decided to use it, posted the after picture on FaceBook and someone randomly commented to her to go on Weight Watchers. The person actually believed the picture from the FaceApp was real :rolleyes: (not to mention was a bit rude with that comment:mad:)

I am not going anywhere near that crazy app.
18uzodohufsy4gif.gif

Goofyernmost

That was very informative and thank you. Kinda sounds like summer jobs for high school caddies are few and far between now. Oh well, there's usually openings at city and town pools/beaches for high school lifeguards. Maybe that's where some of the kids go for work now, during the summer months. (Although I read last season that a number of locations weren't getting the number of kids applying for lifeguard positions, as in previous years.) Maybe the summer jobs now are more tech oriented, instead.
I would think that there are many jobs for ground keepers at golf courses. However, who wants to do yard work anymore, that is real labor. Those that do have a barrier in their way. So it goes undone. Gosh, we are a smart people.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Out of all the chores, laundry is my most favorite... but there are only 2 of us... and I only have to do it once a week.

Same here 😁

Two of us at home -- once weekly for laundry. Works for us! :)

The only extra thing I do now is run the dishwasher twice weekly. When I was working, it was just once weekly, as I ate lunch at work, but now I'm home full-time, and making a big mess of the place! :p

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I would think that there are many jobs for ground keepers at golf courses. However, who wants to do yard work anymore, that is real labor. Those that do have a barrier in their way. So it goes undone. Gosh, we are a smart people.

Actually, landscapers do hire a bunch of high school teens in the summer. That is one industry that I have noticed this. Even the city where I live, hires kids to help with the landscaping in the parks, etc. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This whole age changer FaceApp thingy is scaring the heck out of me. My cousin decided to use it, posted the after picture on FaceBook and someone randomly commented to her to go on Weight Watchers. The person actually believed the picture from the FaceApp was real :rolleyes: (not to mention was a bit rude with that comment:mad:)

18uzodohufsy4gif.gif

We did all ours at work, it was a riot, LOL

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just one of me... One day per week, one load per week. I tell you it is exhausting! 😫😴

This reminds me of a guy I met (I was in my late 20's at the time) in my apartment building. That building had a laundry room (coin operated) in the basement, and many tenants did their laundry on the weekend.

Anyway, this man looked to be in his late 80's. He told me he loved coming to the laundry room on Saturday morning, because a lot of good-looking women did laundry then! :hilarious:

Goofyernmost

18uzodohufsy4gif.gif
I don't have any need for that app. I'm living what I will look like in old age. It sucks!

Goofyernmost

Actually, landscapers do hire a bunch of high school teens in the summer. That is one industry that I have noticed this. Even the city where I live, hires kids to help with the landscaping in the parks, etc. :)
I'm always feeling guilty for stereotyping a generation. There are, of course, many that are willing, but, they are the exception to the rule. Why do that when they can work at McDonalds for more money and be in AC.

MySmallWorldof4

How much effort/time/money would you have to invest to get the certification? If it's not too much, I say go for it. Higher levels generally mean more motivated students and you'll have that much more reach for the better students.
It is a certification through the company. I already passed the written test. Now I just have to do a video where I am given what to cover and basically pretend to teach a child. I just have to get a script right in my head so I know how to perform it. There is no money I need to shell out.

StarWarsGirl

Nope, they aren't paying me for my free time at home, so I am not going to ruin it by being mad at something that happened there. Maybe tomorrow I can take it up again when I'm on the clock.
I'm usually pretty good at leaving work at work, but yesterday I got the distinct feeling that one of our vendors was trying to screw up over, and that is something that will make me very angry very quickly. And because it needs to be taken higher, I had to refer it to another manager not one my team. I hate the powerless feeling.

I'd really like to use that line I used at my doctor's office one day: "This would not have happened if you had bothered to do your job correctly." Somehow I don't think that's very professional.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm always feeling guilty for stereotyping a generation. There are, of course, many that are willing, but, they are the exception to the rule. Why do that when they can work at McDonalds for more money and be in AC.

Yah, it's easy to stereotype. (Done that a few times, myself.) But regardless of age groups, I do believe that most people are individuals with various preferences and abilities. And it may also be that teens now may have a wider selection of summer jobs, than my brother (the caddie) had in the past. Who knows? Maybe if my brother had some newer job options that some teens do today, he might have also picked a different summer job.

MySmallWorldof4

I think I forgot and just uploaded to facebook and not here..

Shots from Houston's central parks.
View attachment 390733

View attachment 390734

View attachment 390735
Below Sam Houston's statue.
View attachment 390736

Johnson's Space Center.

View attachment 390737

View attachment 390738

View attachment 390739

View attachment 390740

View attachment 390741

a Long Horn event going on at the same time.
View attachment 390742
Those are some amazing shots! I love the animal pictures. Strange to see a deer in a parking lot in the middle of a city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom