The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

@Songbird76 please feel free to send me as much extra heat as you wish thank you
I was going to ask if we can trade...I'll take your cold weather, and you can have the Hades furnace temps. It wouldn't be so bad if we had airco, but without that, there's just no way to escape the heat. Especially at work, where we're also walking the whole time. You can't just sit, and I don't get a morning break anymore....which in this heat, I think is actually illegal from what I can find on internet. They are supposed to be giving extra breaks. But when it's 105-110 degrees on the work floor, and you are constantly in motion, it's pretty unbearable. I'll take your colder temps, thank you very much!

Songbird76

You are right. We have been going since 2002 when we started having kids with my first being just about 1. As a single person it is more affordable than a family with kids. It has also gone from being a vacation most families could afford by saving for a year or 2. Now granted AP’s are not necessary, but everything else has gone up exponentially and not a nice gradual curve. We will just go less and spend less there. I can choose where I think I get the most value for my vacation dollars. I will say that the Uni CM’s were way more “Disney” than actual Disney CM’s. A lot of Disney CM’s need to go back to Disney University. Just my opinion.
That makes me so sad, because when we went to Disney and Universal on our honeymoon back in September of 2001, one of the things we noticed was how much nicer Disney CMs were than Universal. I remember standing in a line for a ride at Universal, and the person working there seemed almost grumpy...sour expression, monotone voice....like they hated their job and didn't want to be there. Whereas at Disney, they were all smiling and so friendly and like they really wanted you to have a great time. I hope that magic isn't gone.

Songbird76

So I was amazed this morning. Think I mentioned that I did Ancestry a bunch of months back. Anyway some lady contacted me saying we were 3rd cousins and a dna match. I am thinking. 🧐. But then she told me she is related to my great grandfather on my moms side and she typed out the name of my grandfather and my 2 great uncles and great aunt, all of whom I knew. I was just dumbfounded this morning. I wrote her back of course. This could get interesting.
It's really exciting when that happens! I hit a brick wall looking for my Great Great grandmother, and then there was this post on one of the genealogy websites about a different person, and I knew who that was, so I wrote her back, and she had a TON of info on both the g-g-grandmother and g-g-grandfather. She has now written a book, which is what DD used for her report for history.
I hope you get a lot out of the connection!

Songbird76

That's the thing -- my opinion only -- they're trying to get back up to speed now, with a lot of new updates to the parks. (That's all good.) Yet, I think they waited too long, and during the snooze period, the competition got right in there with blockbuster additions.

UNI, in particular, lured away even some die-hard Disney fans to their park. Now that they have that market, some vacationers realize that both UNI and WDW are "must do" destinations. Hence, I imagine most families have to follow a budget -- and the vacation money now gets split into two.
I woud agree with that, and I think the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in particular got people to go to Universal. I think Disney is hoping Galaxy's Edge will do that for them, but I think they somewhat underestimated how much of an undertaking that level of detail is, and how expensive. So now, along with all the other improvements they are making, they are increasing the prices to offset the cost that they weren't really expecting to be so much. But by doing that, they may shoot themselves in the foot, because there are a lot of people who now won't be able to afford it, or who don't see it being worth that much even though they could afford it. It might be better to attract a whole bunch of moderate spenders than to try to catch a few big spenders.

Songbird76

Just need to vent a bit. My workplace is moving next year because our current building is too small. We also got rid of a lot of the lower level management team, so we're kind of starting fresh right now, and they updated everyone's contracts, etc. So one of the things that changed is that we have to input our availability earlier. They make the schedule 3 weeks in advance now. But when they redid all the contracts, part of that was updating hours, because we are no longer getting paid breaks. We still get breaks (well, most people do), but you have to start 15 minutes earlier and stay 15 minutes later, and the way they count the hours is wonky, so I don't get a morning break anymore. Each employee had a meeting with the management to go over what the changes were and to figure out your new base availability. When they went to put all the data into the system, it didn't like that, and threw out all of the old data, including dates we had set for availability, I guess. So they are supposed to post the work schedule 3 weeks in advance....we just got the schedule for the first week of July today, 2 weeks late, and I'm scheduled to work in every shift I set as "unavailable". Hopefully they will be understanding about it. I know they can't help it that the system is buggy, but for them to be 2 weeks late, and then STILL have everything messed up, and I don't have time to find someone else to take over shifts that I said I couldn't work because they didn't pay attention to that...it's just frustrating. I don't think they can force me to find someone to cover since I did say I couldn't work those times, but I don't know what they will say about it. Wish me luck getting it straightened out!

wdwfan4ver

Ever been to Sea World? We went once when our 2 oldest were really young. Don't remember it all too well.
I went 2 times, but my aunts(my mom's side) went more than that with them even going when Seaworld has their holiday decorations. The last time I went was 2013. Antartica: Empire of the Penguins was already opened by the time I went.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

That makes me so sad, because when we went to Disney and Universal on our honeymoon back in September of 2001, one of the things we noticed was how much nicer Disney CMs were than Universal. I remember standing in a line for a ride at Universal, and the person working there seemed almost grumpy...sour expression, monotone voice....like they hated their job and didn't want to be there. Whereas at Disney, they were all smiling and so friendly and like they really wanted you to have a great time. I hope that magic isn't gone.
Since you are doing both in a few weeks, you can give us your opinion. 😁

MySmallWorldof4

I woud agree with that, and I think the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in particular got people to go to Universal. I think Disney is hoping Galaxy's Edge will do that for them, but I think they somewhat underestimated how much of an undertaking that level of detail is, and how expensive. So now, along with all the other improvements they are making, they are increasing the prices to offset the cost that they weren't really expecting to be so much. But by doing that, they may shoot themselves in the foot, because there are a lot of people who now won't be able to afford it, or who don't see it being worth that much even though they could afford it. It might be better to attract a whole bunch of moderate spenders than to try to catch a few big spenders.
I hward a theory yesterday that they are purposely trying to get rid of the out of town AP’s because they make more money on the regular passes.

MySmallWorldof4

Just need to vent a bit. My workplace is moving next year because our current building is too small. We also got rid of a lot of the lower level management team, so we're kind of starting fresh right now, and they updated everyone's contracts, etc. So one of the things that changed is that we have to input our availability earlier. They make the schedule 3 weeks in advance now. But when they redid all the contracts, part of that was updating hours, because we are no longer getting paid breaks. We still get breaks (well, most people do), but you have to start 15 minutes earlier and stay 15 minutes later, and the way they count the hours is wonky, so I don't get a morning break anymore. Each employee had a meeting with the management to go over what the changes were and to figure out your new base availability. When they went to put all the data into the system, it didn't like that, and threw out all of the old data, including dates we had set for availability, I guess. So they are supposed to post the work schedule 3 weeks in advance....we just got the schedule for the first week of July today, 2 weeks late, and I'm scheduled to work in every shift I set as "unavailable". Hopefully they will be understanding about it. I know they can't help it that the system is buggy, but for them to be 2 weeks late, and then STILL have everything messed up, and I don't have time to find someone else to take over shifts that I said I couldn't work because they didn't pay attention to that...it's just frustrating. I don't think they can force me to find someone to cover since I did say I couldn't work those times, but I don't know what they will say about it. Wish me luck getting it straightened out!
Good luck! That is just plain incompetent.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm an idiot. :p Because the car is being worked on this weekend, I couldn't go grocery shopping. So I decided to order online with delivery (order will come tomorrow afternoon). However --

First of all, ordering stuff online took me twice as long, because everything looked really good -- and I kept pausing to read descriptions, etc. Long story short, I ended up ordering at least $30 more in stuff, than what I normally pick up each weekend.. :rolleyes: But here's the best part: I had a coupon code (for first time online customers) for $20 off a first order. Do you think I remembered to enter that code, before I finalized the checkout and hit "finish"?! :facepalm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom