The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Apparently there was an earthquake just now in NJ

When we lived in No Cal (San Jose) from ‘68-‘76, we had smaller quakes (2.5-3.5-ish magnitude) happen pretty often, to the point where they almost…almost…became novel.
The whole time we lived there, it seemed like every 6 months or so some “expert” was predicting “the big one”.
The only big one in CA during the time we lived there was the San Fernando quake of ‘71, at 6.6 magnitude. That one did a lot of damage.
Later (6th grade), I had a teacher that was visiting family down there at the time, and he said he and his wife were awakened by the bed starting to move across the floor. About 60 people died.
The next big one in No Cal was the Loma Prieta quake of ‘89, at 6.9 magnitude. 6.9 doesn’t sound much more powerful than 6.6, but earthquake magnitudes are measured on an exponential scale. That one was pretty devastating for that entire area. 63 died, and 42 of those were from the collapse of the Cypress Street Viaduct in Oakland.
Carolyn and I had been in San Francisco and San Jose visiting friends less than 2 months prior.

FutureCEO

donaldtoo

Turned on the local news, and apparently some people felt the effects of the earthquake up here as well (I didn't feel anything where I am). Tremors were felt up through areas of NH, VT, and also some into northern Maine as well.

Yea, last I heard they’ve had at least 5 aftershocks…some folks felt ‘em, some didn’t.
I remember sometimes the initial quake shaking being over before you really knew what was going on, but then you’re a bit on edge waiting for the aftershocks. Usually, after the initial slipping plate tension release though, the aftershocks aren’t nearly as bad.
Back in the early ‘70’s, we were at Moms cousins house in Watsonville, CA (badly damaged in the Loma Prieta quake) celebrating Thanksgiving with her family. They lived in an older house in one of the early neighborhoods there.
We sat down for the meal, and right as we finished Grace, the shaking started. We all calmly got up and walked out the back door between the house and garage, and stood there until the shaking stopped.
But, since it was an older house, it was still swaying and creaking. After that finally stopped, we all calmly walked back in the house to finish our meal, and then watched football…good times…!!!!! :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yea, last I heard they’ve had at least 5 aftershocks…some folks felt ‘em, some didn’t.
I remember sometimes the initial quake shaking being over before you really knew what was going on, but then you’re a bit on edge waiting for the aftershocks. Usually, after the initial slipping plate tension release though, the aftershocks aren’t nearly as bad.
Back in the early ‘70’s, we were at Moms cousins house in Watsonville, CA (badly damaged in the Loma Prieta quake) celebrating Thanksgiving with her family. They lived in an older house in one of the early neighborhoods there.
We sat down for the meal, and right as we finished Grace, the shaking started. We all calmly got up and walked out the back door between the house and garage and stood there until the the shaking stopped.
But, since it was an older house, it was still swaying and creaking. After that finally stopped, we all calmly walked back in the house to finish our meal, and then watched football…good times…!!!!! :hilarious:
Yah, a big Thanksgiving spread like that would also be enough to coax me back in -- shaking house or not! :p

wdwfan4ver

Wow have you checked with Donna to see if you-know-who is in his cage? 🤔
Don't be surprised if he's not in cage due to Midwest Gaming Classic.

One the things the Midwest gaming Classic has is Vendor Hall. Vendor Hall in past years did have some stands with Lego Sets including the Star Wars sets. I brought this up due to a certain raccoon likes Legos. If Lego sets at Vendor Hall are missing before it opens tomorrow, I think we know what happened;).

Also Midwest gaming Classic does have replicas of movie vehicles also.

wdwfan4ver

Apparently there was an earthquake just now in NJ
Hopefully there was no home damage.

I brought this because back in 2006, the city I live felt the signs of an earthquake with damaged needed to be checked. What happened was the city I live had a large factory explosion caused by propane gas. That explosion caused the ground to shake like an earthquake even miles away from the factory. Homes were damaged due to the shaking of the ground including homes having cracks.

Lilofan

Hopefully there was no home damage.

I brought this because back in 2006, the city I live felt the signs of an earthquake with damaged needed to be checked. What happened was the city I live had a large factory explosion caused by propane gas. That explosion caused the ground to shake like an earthquake even miles away from the factory. Homes were damaged due to the shaking of the ground including homes having cracks.
About 10 min ago ABC News reported that a 4.0 aftershock happened in the same NJ/NY area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom