The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

KBLovedDisney

Need to vent a little :( Sorry.

Since I am no contact with my mother (the main source of family gossip who normally wouldn't let me know what was going on anyway), I found out through Facebook that my aunt (her sister) had emergency carotid artery surgery due to a major clot. Now, I have been told many times over my life that my family dies young. Yeah...great thing to say to a 12 year old for sure. But my grandparents died in their early 70s, my dad died in his early 60s, all in all my family suffers from bad health. Oddly enough though, it is mostly from their own doing with not taking care of themselves.

With all of that said, I am trying desperately to work on my own health. I definitely was not given any good examples growing up with the amounts of fast food intake from family members and their attempts at fad diets, but over the years through research and dedication have really begun to do so. A few years ago, I stuck with a lifestyle change of just watching what I eat and taking a walk around the park every day or so. That lead me to losing 20 plus pounds. I kept it off for a couple of years, but then the stress of my dad dying and family's incessant toxic drama that lead me lose so much strength and dedication. I lost my way so to speak.

But now, after everything and then hearing this news about my aunt, I really want to get back into a good lifestyle and most importantly, keep it! I don't want to die young if I can help it, and I don't want to suffer when I am older because of my bad food habits now.

I put all of this here because I am looking just for some outside encouragement or some "You can do's its!".

93boomer

Premium Member

Since I am no contact with my mother (the main source of family gossip who normally wouldn't let me know what was going on anyway), I found out through Facebook that my aunt (her sister) had emergency carotid artery surgery due to a major clot. Now, I have been told many times over my life that my family dies young. Yeah...great thing to say to a 12 year old for sure. But my grandparents died in their early 70s, my dad died in his early 60s, all in all my family suffers from bad health. Oddly enough though, it is mostly from their own doing with not taking care of themselves.

With all of that said, I am trying desperately to work on my own health. I definitely was not given any good examples growing up with the amounts of fast food intake from family members and their attempts at fad diets, but over the years through research and dedication have really begun to do so. A few years ago, I stuck with a lifestyle change of just watching what I eat and taking a walk around the park every day or so. That lead me to losing 20 plus pounds. I kept it off for a couple of years, but then the stress of my dad dying and family's incessant toxic drama that lead me lose so much strength and dedication. I lost my way so to speak.

But now, after everything and then hearing this news about my aunt, I really want to get back into a good lifestyle and most importantly, keep it! I don't want to die young if I can help it, and I don't want to suffer when I am older because of my bad food habits now.

I put all of this here because I am looking just for some outside encouragement or some "You can do's its!".
Yesss you can do it!! You seem like a strong person. You’ve handled a lot in your lifetime and persevered. So keep on doing what you’re doing!! We’re here with you!😉

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

It might be a bit of a rough road but you can do it if you put your mind to it. I am in the process of fixing the way I eat too. It is tough at times because ice cream sounds so much better than a serving of almonds sometimes for a snack.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I’ll be here always to cheer ya on. Most of us have some time of vice so don’t feel alone.

And this is great positive encouragement

Tony the Tigger

My Dad died from his first and only heart attack at 45.

His Dad, the same, in his early 50’s (after losing a toe, then foot, then leg to diabetes.)

I’m trying to be the first guy to hit 55, and show my much younger bro how to do it.

I eat very healthy, but with a balance for favorites now and then (esp. at WDW.)

Some years I do better than others. Right now, I’m on a roll, but not so much last year. I can tell by the size of my gut 🤣 and how regularly I get to the gym.

For my 45th bday (3 years ago) I paid out of pocket for a test you would normally only get if you were having heart problems. Everything was clean. Seems like nothing, but doing that changed my perspective from “cheating death” to living a long time.

Still, gotta watch the cholesterol. Genes don’t change.

Tony the Tigger

More from Brutus:

418F60D5-FF62-49DC-AF73-496468F5C226.jpegD58159AB-4826-4059-93BE-CC80B86E3121.jpeg

The art on the wall is metal. Loved it.

I had an awesome grilled shrimp po boy with artichoke hearts and a cilantro sauce. Perfect. Not dry as they can often be. Side of a black bean salad with onion.

Brian had a cobia sandwich with slaw.

They brought Kylie water and gave her some attention, which was nice. Great to find a dog-friendly patio place, especially with no other dogs there lol.

KBLovedDisney

My Dad died from his first and only heart attack at 45.

His Dad, the same, in his early 50’s (after losing a toe, then foot, then leg to diabetes.)

I’m trying to be the first guy to hit 55, and show my much younger bro how to do it.

I eat very healthy, but with a balance for favorites now and then (esp. at WDW.)

Some years I do better than others. Right now, I’m on a roll, but not so much last year. I can tell by the size of my gut 🤣 and how regularly I get to the gym.

For my 45th bday (3 years ago) I paid out of pocket for a test you would normally only get if you were having heart problems. Everything was clean. Seems like nothing, but doing that changed my perspective from “cheating death” to living a long time.

Still, gotta watch the cholesterol. Genes don’t change.
Most definitely! Another thing my parents were horrible for was going to the doctor regularly/annually to get blood work done. Between DH and myself, we do this because neither one of us stems from good genes but were are very determined to do what our parents didn't.

Figgy1

Premium Member

I’ll be here always to cheer ya on. Most of us have some time of vice so don’t feel alone.

And this is great positive encouragement

^^^This and you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're a rather friendly thread over at Working Out feel free to also vent there as need be

StarWarsGirl

You can do it.

I'm not saying it's easy, but you can. Family history is an awful thing as well.

One thing that I had to learn was a mentality of moderation. When I was a kid, I could eat an entire can of Pringles in one sitting. I don't do that anymore. I've learned how to keep things balanced. So I eat ice cream on weekends. If I want pizza, I get pizza...and eat it with a salad. I had a bag of chips today with lunch because I just really wanted them. Then I stopped. I keep M&Ms around and eat a few when I want something sweet. I keep Goldfish at work if I want something salty. Then I eat lean meat and veggies during the week. I also tried to figure out what I can do without. I had a regular soda at Hershey on Saturday, which is extremely unusual for me nowadays. I usually drink water, tea, and Crystal Light. Wearing a Fitbit helps with knowing how well I'm sleeping and how active I am in a given day. I also joined a gym because I'm one of those people who isn't motivated otherwise, plus there's one literally around the corner from work.

The biggest thing for me though was a trip to the doctor. I had a pretty serious health problem impacting my ability to lose weight. Being healthier overall means I have the energy to exercise and move around and all.

Like you, we have health problems in our family and a lot of overweight people, although there's also a lot of longevity. I'm built like my aunt, who's heavy. I thought it was always a side effect of having kids, but her childless daughter, who has a taller but otherwise similar build to me, is also very heavy. I'm determined to still fit in those seats for Hershey's roller coasters, so I will never let myself get that way.

Oh, and getting away from toxic people helps too. No need for that in your life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom