The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Well we ended up getting around 8 inches here. This is now officially the snowiest February on record with over 30 inches of snow! We have another possible storm coming through this weekend. We didn't fully shovel paths in the back yard for Kapono so she got a little lost in the back yard. It was a little funny to watch her but she was very distressed when she came back in, it made me feel bad for laughing at her.
Our pups got lost in the snow as well before dh could snowblow them a path. It was bad. Our male dog peed on his sister, so she needed a bath. Kind of funny, and kind of annoying at the same time.

MySmallWorldof4

And a lot of the decision is based upon whether the school buses can safely transport students. So calling off a school day the night before is done if they know that the forecast is for icy roads and sidewalks. School depts. don't want to get sued if something happens, as a direct result of dangerous weather conditions that were forecasted.

just as you thought as well, I think it's the right call they make many times. You can replace extra "snow days"by making them up at the end of the school year, but you can't replace a child, if seriously injured in a bad accident.
The kids in our town lost President’s Day prior to this snow. My guess is they will now lose the Monday after Easter.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
In North Carolina, they levy a Personal Property tax yearly with registration fee, every year. Based on the book value of the car (more or less). I'd have to look it up, but, I don't remember a sales tax at the time of purchase.
Does that go back into the road infrastructure or just into the general tax pot ?

Goofyernmost

Does that go back into the road infrastructure or just into the general tax pot ?
It goes to the municipal budget. For local roads, streets and flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. Even in January and February blooming flowers are always part of the highways. Those flowers include flowering trees in the spring. It is really purty, but, I would guess expensive. I have never looked at the budget breakdown, but, it wouldn't surprise me if they spend more on flowers then Vermont does on snow removal. I prefer the flowers instead of snow.

MySmallWorldof4

In North Carolina, they levy a Personal Property tax yearly with registration fee, every year. Based on the book value of the car (more or less). I'd have to look it up, but, I don't remember a sales tax at the time of purchase.
We do pay a registration fee yearly. I guess that can be considered a tax, but it is the same for everyone. It isn’t much though. Less than $40.

93boomer

Premium Member
It goes to the municipal budget. For local roads, streets and flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. Even in January and February blooming flowers are always part of the highways. Those flowers include flowering trees in the spring. It is really purty, but, I would guess expensive. I have never looked at the budget breakdown, but, it wouldn't surprise me if they spend more on flowers then Vermont does on snow removal. I prefer the flowers instead of snow.
Most of the pretty flowers are in the eastern part of NC. We do not get as much as we used to around here. They say it goes for the roads but some of our mountain roads are awful.

MySmallWorldof4

I-95 in NC is nice in the Spring with the wildflowers blooming.

93boomer

Premium Member
On the cars, it has a fire district tax and a county tax added for the tax you pay on each car. The older the car, the less tax. There isn't a sales tax.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We used to have a yearly "motor" tax.
That was dropped in favour of increased tax on fuel. Which goes into the general tax pot. Problem is that as cars become more economical and more people use electric/hybrid the price of fuel goes up every year to cover the shortfall 🤦.

Current cheapest is £1.16 per Ltr

MySmallWorldof4

We used to have a yearly "motor" tax.
That was dropped in favour of increased tax on fuel. Which goes into the general tax pot. Problem is that as cars become more economical and more people use electric/hybrid the price of fuel goes up every year to cover the shortfall 🤦.

Current cheapest is £1.16 per Ltr
Luckily you live on a small island and don’t need to cover too many miles, but in any case increases in taxes stink. Our gas tax in PA is around 40 plus cents a gallon. It has one of the highest gas taxes. One thing about taxes is that they only go up and never down. They never get removed either even when you are told it will be temporary. The toll bridges in NY were supposed to be to pay for the bridges. Then when they got paid for, it was for upkeep. Then the Subways needed help so the tolls collected went to help the failing Subway system. So the money the Port Authority had from the bridges dried up and the tolls continued. I knew someone who worked for Port Authority. They said it was a mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom