The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Motion and SSE were our favorites when we were kids. And I don't remember where it was...I thought it was when you came out of Imagination, but I could be wrong...there was somewhere that had computer screens where you could color. And there was a giant kitchen table-sized thing with all the pins that you can make an imprint of something like your hand in it by pushing up those pins. And then somewhere else, they had robots that would draw your portrait. Epcot was our favorite because there was so much to do. Now there's really not as much, but I still love the World Showcase.

There certainly isn't as much for kids as when you and my kids were young. Still it is there. The Kiosks are excellent in the WS but are missed by those young families chasing only the IPs. Look at children, the eyes opening as they watch others open a shell and see a pearl for the first time. Weave through the bushes that are a maze. Run in the Car Wash.

I will find the photo of my DD with a pacifier in her mouth drawing with her tiny finger the lights at night coming and going in the sidewalk in Future World. Kids only learn and learn to appreciate things they are exposed to. Sure they all will not all not enjoy all that is available but we as parents don't know until they are exposed to it. I grew up from an infant with Disneyland, my kids were born into Disney. We sealed out the outside world for a few weeks and enjoyed everything offered and had some quality family time. No way in heck could I've convinced their dad to spend weeks there annually if it was only about IPs and Princesses. We as a family needed balance. Because of the diversity of the offerings Dad became as immersed as I was and our kids were for decades forward.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Exactly, I'm still wondering why the hell they dont just build the mickey ride in animation courtyard. They are just ruining DHS while they are building.

I can't argue that. I do understand what is in the Movie Ride must go, Disney won't pay what Turner wants to continue, much like the reason they went to DHS vs MGM for financial reasons. Still they could have created a whole new version of the Great Movie Ride with all the freak'n movies Disney has created on their own.

IF they don't demo that beautiful building, I will hold off judgement on the interior attraction until it launches. I have not heard enough to judge yet. If they demo that building I'l be beyond sad. It is an icon unto itself since the studios opened and it is so beautiful especially with the dang hat gone.

FutureCEO

Thanks. But I felt that way when it began, rebranding Countdown to Dino It isn't necessary and lacks imagineering. The imagineering...the draw. I'm still waiting for Blizzard Beach as some have said to be rebranded FROZEN. I have a son. All this Princess branding is really driving families to Uni that have at least one boy in the equation.

Think even of the character meals. Most are repelled by elementary school boys on up. Why could there not be a Toy Story meal or a Star Wars meal to at least balance out the Princess IP? I have a DD that was not a Princess type gal. She always thought outside the box of the stereo type and I encouraged her exploration outside the world of princesses. All that was not what interested them nor did I encourage. Likely why I wound up with a DD that was a math and statistic major and not a diva.

The thought of a Frozen water park didn't even cross my mind til now. I'm not sure why either because it's obvious. But I think that would be going too far. Although Disney did make a whole land base off of Avatar when there is really no love connection to that movie from people.

But Disney does need to focus on boys or else they will lose out an entire younger generation.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yesterday was oldest dd's sweet 16. I paid for an upcharge event. :jawdrop: It was early morning magic. Knowing it was prime vacation time I knew the parks would be massively crowded so thought it would be a good idea. Here were the crowds.
View attachment 216360 View attachment 216361
The breakfast was a nice buffet. Hot foods, fruits, pastries, juices, etc. No waffles though. We got to go on 7dmt 4 times straight. You didn't have to go on the regular queue. They opened a rope by the exit so you could just hop right back on. Did Peter Pan and the carousel. After Peter Pan and with 5 minutes left of EMM we ran back to 7dmt to hop on before the rush. Here is what Fantasyland looked like at 9am.
View attachment 216363
Lots of groups. Hoards of people. We had to get out by 11. It was no longer pleasant.
The best part was at Pinocchio's Village house for breakfast. It was just my family and another in there eating. The CM's saw dd's bday pin. None could believe she was 16. She looks very young. They brought out a special dessert and sang happy birthday to her. Made dh and I tear up. :)

Dinner was at Whispering Canyon. We had a great server and all the CM's played their parts well. Food was great. We had chips and dips to start. I had the red quinoa cakes. Dh had steak.
View attachment 216364 View attachment 216365 View attachment 216366
Food was delicious!!!:hungry:
Love it, I'd never pay for it but it looked well worth it for a birthday gift. Happy belated birthday to your dd. Glad you liked the quinoa cakes:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I was never a rookie being inducted as an infant to Disneyland and then opening of WDW I still bought the Unoffical Guide to Disney as a parent-didn't do that version before. I also bought Birnbaum back then 'cause that gave good descriptions of what each attraction was that was newer so I could judge for my young family. My kids grew up in a era when every year there was major attraction openings and parks too. My son came into it with only two parks, then 3, then 4 and add in major changes to Downtown Disney Marketplace and 2 water parks and 4 mini golf. Attractions went up in 12-18 months not 5 year plans. Those two books were my vacation Bibles.
I still pick up Birnbaum, mostly for the coupons. Between that and a few my dh got at work we made out quite well last trip.:joyfull:
I'm a bit miffed at how long building seems to be taking these days, parking garages seemed to take forever:mad:. UNI got DA built in about 3 years and most rides seem to be going up in a 12-18 month span, good old days. DH says even if we can pull something off next year it may still be a UNI only trip even with Avatarland and TSL open:(:mad::banghead:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I can't argue that. I do understand what is in the Movie Ride must go, Disney won't pay what Turner wants to continue, much like the reason they went to DHS vs MGM for financial reasons. Still they could have created a whole new version of the Great Movie Ride with all the freak'n movies Disney has created on their own.

IF they don't demo that beautiful building, I will hold off judgement on the interior attraction until it launches. I have not heard enough to judge yet. If they demo that building I'l be beyond sad. It is an icon unto itself since the studios opened and it is so beautiful especially with the dang hat gone.
I think the exterior is safe, thank goodness it's cheaper to just rework the interior:joyfull:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
You know your kid and their attention span. My kids loved Epcot even as toddlers. Mine loved loved loved the Kids Kiosks. They enjoyed the pavilions but I took them through as young'ns and didn't bother with what would only interest an adult. They loved trying on the Mexican hats, playing with the maracas in the pavilions, playing with the embedded lights in the sidewalks, talking on the telephones with snow white, taking a boat trip with the fishes etc etc etc. My kids loved Epcots diversity. IF the interest is only in IPs and Princesses for your child that type of advice might be good for your child. Only you know how open she is to the world beyond princesses and IPs. My kids loved the car wash, the Coke exhibit, crawling into a head of the scuba diver and looking out, singing along with the attractions in the Land. Crush is beyond awesome for toddlers and preschoolers. Heck as an adult I got a kick out of it.

I'm not saying that my kid won't enjoy anything but princesses. I'm saying that the information on the web for a first timer suggests that unless your kid really loves princesses, then you're better off taking them to AK or HS as your second park.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Those two books were my vacation Bibles

For many years, I've also bought Birnbaum's and the Unofficial Guide. The new yearly editions are always something to look forward to, and both are very helpful.

Nowadays, I get the most of my information from the web. However, I still buy both of those books every year. It's sort of a tradition with me. And in the case of Birnbaum's, I've always loved the colorful pictures and layout of that book. It's just a happy book to have around--gets me psyched for my next trip each spring! :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm not saying that my kid won't enjoy anything but princesses. I'm saying that the information on the web for a first timer suggests that unless your kid really loves princesses, then you're better off taking them to AK or HS as your second park.

Explaining it that way, is a fair statement you shared above with Gabe. Some little kids are all about princesses. So I guess you'll probably spend the first day or first few days in MK so your daughter gets her "fill" of the princess gig, and then you'll head over to EPCOT on another day. I'll bet she'll find things she'll like over there, too.

I guess when you have a little kid, you just go with the flow. I'm sure you're surprised on a daily basis with what she says and does. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
There certainly isn't as much for kids as when you and my kids were young. Still it is there. The Kiosks are excellent in the WS but are missed by those young families chasing only the IPs. Look at children, the eyes opening as they watch others open a shell and see a pearl for the first time. Weave through the bushes that are a maze. Run in the Car Wash.

I will find the photo of my DD with a pacifier in her mouth drawing with her tiny finger the lights at night coming and going in the sidewalk in Future World. Kids only learn and learn to appreciate things they are exposed to. Sure they all will not all not enjoy all that is available but we as parents don't know until they are exposed to it. I grew up from an infant with Disneyland, my kids were born into Disney. We sealed out the outside world for a few weeks and enjoyed everything offered and had some quality family time. No way in heck could I've convinced their dad to spend weeks there annually if it was only about IPs and Princesses. We as a family needed balance. Because of the diversity of the offerings Dad became as immersed as I was and our kids were for decades forward.

That's just it, though. I wouldn't take my kid to universal to learn about history, or six flags to brush up on statistics. If she gets a lesson in those things while we're there, great, but that's not why we're going.

We go to places around town on a weekly basis that expose her to science and nature and the works. In fact last night she got to pick eggs out of the hen house at the farm because it's important to us that she knows where her food comes from, and this weekend we'll be picking our own fruit at a local orchard. We don't depend on Disney to expose her to these types of things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom