The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That's why I try to buy organic produce as much as possible.

Does that make a difference? I'm not really familiar with organic gardening, although I do know a little bit from my Behind the Seeds tour I've taken (a few times) at The Land, in Epcot. They do something called integrated pest management, and they try different types of flies, etc. to combat certain bugs. This saves some of the plants from being sprayed with pesticide.

I could see that working well in a smaller food growing operation, but in the larger growing areas, I would think that would be harder to use with success. I mean, they'd have to get huge amounts of flys, etc., to cover such a large area, right? Or, in your case, do you just buy from smaller, local organic farms?

betty rose

Unfortunately you have to spray them with the pesticides or you'll be eating bugs too. I find that I start sneezing and have a stomach ache if I don't wash apples and them dry/polish them with a paper towel. Even the ones in a bag from the store.
I agree, I wash all produce with half water and half apple cider vinegar, I got that formula from the produce guy at the grocery. Supposed to clean well, and help kill any lingering bacteria.

betty rose

Was it a Black Lady who could sing? :hilarious:

Those were nightmarish times...
I remember my mom always saying " its only going to take 45 minutes.
And the Priest went overload in the explanation... took 1 hour and 45 minutes...
I think most elderly people used the time to take a holy nap.
I went to a church that their singing, playing, shouting, and praying went on for 3 hours. Whew, that was excessive.

betty rose

Ha! I've got one for you, too. We'll file both yours and mine under Stupid Kitchen Mistakes.

I was about 18 at the time, and I had never made coffee. So, I was up early on a weekend, and I thought I'd make a pot for my parents and myself. I had observed my mother put the water in the Mr. Coffee machine, and then add the coffee and turn it on. Easy. So I filled the coffeemaker with water and added the coffee . . . Nescafe instant coffee . . . :hilarious: :hilarious: :rolleyes: I didn't realize there was a difference in brewing ground coffee from instant!
Love this, when I got married I didn't know how to cook at all. Mom didn't want us underfoot when she was cooking. So, for the first 6 month's we had bacon wrapped cheese dogs. Great for the heart!:eek::D

betty rose

Does that make a difference? I'm not really familiar with organic gardening, although I do know a little bit from my Behind the Seeds tour I've taken (a few times) at The Land, in Epcot. They do something called integrated pest management, and they try different types of flies, etc. to combat certain bugs. This saves some of the plants from being sprayed with pesticide.

I could see that working well in a smaller food growing operation, but in the larger growing areas, I would think that would be harder to use with success. I mean, they'd have to get huge amounts of flys, etc., to cover such a large area, right? Or, in your case, do you just buy from smaller, local organic farms?
You are asking the right questions. A farmer told my sister, that the plants aren't sprayed for organic. But, the field is heavily sprayed before planting. This gets them around the government regs. for labeling "organic". This was about 10 years ago, so I don't what the regulations are today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom