The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

If you are protesting police violence against unarmed Blacks, or any cause really, how does looting further your cause?

All it says is "Look at me. I'm a hooligan; an opportunistic dee-bag."

They've just shut and lock the gates to Camden Yards.
I agree with you 100%. They are doing nothing. First of all, I don't understand why they were protesting. Federal government was getting involved and the officers involved in the death of that young man will most likely face charges. And second, all that they are doing is destroying property and causing trouble for innocent people who have absolutely zero control over what happened. And then wasting tax dollars because Of all the damage and from having to call in all the police.

Game has been postponed.

MOXOMUMD

I was just watching that on the news. Went to turn on Ellen in the commuter lounge and got the news instead. Crazy. I almost cried when I saw the CVS and the police vehicles on fire

I'm worried about my aunt and uncle. They live in the city and are both residents at Hopkins. I'm hoping that they are either with my grandparents or staying at the hospital. I'm also worried because one of our family friends is a county police officer. At this point, I think the National Guard needs to be called in. I don't see any other options

I wish I were in Disney right now.
They set the CVS on fire then cut the hoses so it can't be put out.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I must admit O Canada causes me to tear up. It's such an amazing and beautiful anthem.

The original Maple Leaf Forever (not that modern watered-down version meant appease Quebec) also causes me to tear up. It's a beautiful peace of music and the lyrics just really get me.

And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever,
And flourish green o'er freedom's home
The Maple Leaf forever!

That's some great stuff.

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero, came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride
And, joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:
The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our Queen and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Land,
Our brave fathers, side by side,
For freedom, homes and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died;
And those dear rights which they maintained,
We swear to yield them never!
Our watchword evermore shall be
"The Maple Leaf forever!"

Chorus

Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound;
May peace forever be our lot,
And plenteous store abound:
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever,
And flourish green o'er freedom's home
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus

On merry England's far famed land
May kind heaven sweetly smile,
God bless old Scotland evermore
and Ireland's Em'rald Isle!
And swell the song both loud and long
Till rocks and forest quiver!
God save our Queen and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus

I don't know anything about the politics of either song, but I have always really liked O Canada--especially when someone sings it. The Instrumental version you shared was nice, but I really like it when someone actually sings it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Nope. I have work tonight on campus, and there's absolutely nothing happening here (not that I would expect anything to happen). Then I take backroads home and will be nowhere near the violence.

I am very concerned about going over to my other school tomorrow. It's much closer to some of the violence. I'll ask my friends who go to that school if there seemed to be any unrest and keep an eye on police reports and campus communications before making a decision.

All this is happening way too close for comfort. It's sad; it's accomplishing absolutely nothing other than disturbing the peace and people who can literally do nothing about it.

If this is all still happening after finals are done, maybe an impromptu Disney trip would be in order.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel safe there. I'd say, go with your sixth sense. If it doesn't "feel" right to you, don't go. Or, if you do decide it might be o.k. to go to that school, maybe carpool with some friends, versus driving alone.

StarWarsGirl

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel safe there. I'd say, go with your sixth sense. If it doesn't "feel" right to you, don't go. Or, if you do decide it might be o.k. to go to that school, maybe carpool with some friends, versus driving alone.
Yeah, I don't feel safe there with good reason. Just got a text about a suspected shooter in the library. Texted my friends there to make sure they are okay, several have texted back yes.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Been messaging my friends who I used to work with in downtown Baltimore. They are all really sad about what's going on and really nervous. As I am for them.

I was watching the news yesterday, and one of the police officers was saying that there is also an outside influence of certain individuals who came in from N.Y. and Missouri with the intent of stirring up mayhem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom