The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We’ve just recently got into it.. in the past year or so. I don’t have hiking shoes yet, so I might not qualify as a serious hiker ;)... but we try to continue finding new places to go. We did do part of the Appalachian Trail when at Red River Gorge... but not 10 miles, we left the park early due to a ruptured ear drum.
It’s like several hundred miles long, right?
The AT is about 2100 miles long. It starts (or ends depending on your perspective) here in Georgia.
@21stamps I highly recommend this book. The movie of the same name, not so much.

The full Appalachian Trail is a dream that I know I will never get to enjoy fulfilling. But, I hope to be able to do a number of different chunks of it (already done a little bit here and there). Our family hikes tend to just be 5ish miles, but sometimes will get up to 10 or so. Hikes with my friend tend to be more in the 10 mile range. Just like a day at Epcot, right?!

Bill Bryson is one of my top 5 or so authors to read. "In a Sunburned Country" was my first, but "A Walk in the Woods" was my second by him. Now I've read just about everything he's written (Short History of Nearly Everything was a bit slow...) - his books on the English language are a lot of fun.

21stamps

I just went back and looked at my photos from Red River Gorge, I thought I had a photo of a plaque stating the Appalachian Trail.. don’t see it. Am I hallucinating? Does the Appalachian Trail go thru that area in Kentucky?

epcotisbest

The full Appalachian Trail is a dream that I know I will never get to enjoy fulfilling. But, I hope to be able to do a number of different chunks of it (already done a little bit here and there). Our family hikes tend to just be 5ish miles, but sometimes will get up to 10 or so. Hikes with my friend tend to be more in the 10 mile range. Just like a day at Epcot, right?!

Bill Bryson is one of my top 5 or so authors to read. "In a Sunburned Country" was my first, but "A Walk in the Woods" was my second by him. Now I've read just about everything he's written (Short History of Nearly Everything was a bit slow...) - his books on the English language are a lot of fun.

Bryson is one of my favorites. A Walk in the Woods, for me, is laugh out loud funny in parts. In a Sunburned Country a bit more serious but still a fun read.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
And neither one is a real through hike no matter how many times you wash a hog.:D

I was all set up for a thru hike but one of my classes ran too long and then life got in the way. I was hoping that maybe when A was a teenager she'd do it with me, but do far she afraid of bugs, hates getting dirty, and can't go more than a couple hours without applying new makeup and changing her outfit 🤷😂

21stamps

I'm not gonna stick around to see how many people agree or disagree about the crazy part! :eek:

Serious question, being from Georgia, do you just not even think about the bears or snakes while hiking?

I’m not scared of the ocean at all. I take precautions of course, no jewelry, no bright suits when I’m in areas where I now have a lot of sharks and barracuda, but I’m rarely nervous... but wow, I never full relaxed on some of the trails in GA.. I was always looking out for a snake or bear.

epcotisbest

I was all set up for a thru hike but one of my classes ran too long and then life got in the way. I was hoping that maybe when A was a teenager she'd do it with me, but do far she afraid of bugs, hates getting dirty, and can't go more than a couple hours without applying new makeup and changing her outfit 🤷😂

I considered it in my teens/early twenties but life got in the way. That and I probably don't have enough sticktoitiveness to have ever actually ever done it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom