The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

From NYTimes:

In March, nationwide sales of bicycles, equipment and repair services nearly doubled compared with the same period last year, according to the N.P.D. Group, a market research company. Sales of commuter and fitness bikes in the same month increased 66 percent, leisure bikes jumped 121 percent, children’s bikes went up 59 percent and electric bikes rose 85 percent.
By the end of April, many stores and distributors had sold out of low-end consumer bikes. Now, the United States is facing a severe bicycle shortage as global supply chains, disrupted by the coronavirus outbreak, scramble to meet the surge in demand.

Ah!!! Wish I would have read that before my search!

I have found some that are over $900. I’m not a serious enough biker for that. I don’t even have a bike rack yet... but could use a bike in the neighborhood until I get a rack.
Apparently I won’t need to worry about a rack right now, as I won’t have a bike.😂

21stamps

I really should have just ordered one back when I was shopping for T’s bike. Maybe I’ll just get a new pair of rollerblades for now.. unless there’s a shortage of those as well.

Edit— A quick look on DSG shows that they’re completely sold out of women’s blades. Not a good sign..

@epcotisbest The weird thing is, there is availability for men’s bikes.. that’s kind of interesting, I wonder if there’s just more men’s bicycles produced than there are women’s.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Ah!!! Wish I would have read that before my search!

I have found some that are over $900. I’m not a serious enough biker for that. I don’t even have a bike rack yet... but could use a bike in the neighborhood until I get a rack.
Apparently I won’t need to worry about a rack right now, as I won’t have a bike.😂

We have a couple of Gary Fisher hybrid bikes, an REI mountain bike, a bikeE recumbent and a Rans Stratus recumbent. None were under $500 so I can't really advise in that price category. Now, if you want to know about a $2000 Rans, that I can help with.

21stamps

We have a couple of Gary Fisher hybrid bikes, an REI mountain bike, a bikeE recumbent and a Rans Stratus recumbent. None were under $500 so I can't really advise in that price category. Now, if you want to know about a $2000 Rans, that I can help with.

I’m specifically looking for a mountain bike, but I really want to start with a cheap one, preferably on sale, and see if I even use it enough before I invest in an expensive bike.
Like this one.. but it’s out of stock when I click on it (as are all of the other ones)
EA6435B9-C608-4860-9E2E-70CA4AE99331.jpeg

REI did have bikes in stock., but all were $1100+
That just seems silly for me when who knows how often I’ll utilize it.

epcotisbest

I’m specifically looking for a mountain bike, but I really want to start with a cheap one, preferably on sale, and see if I even use it enough before I invest in an expensive bike.
Like this one.. but it’s out of stock when I click on it (as are all of the other ones)
View attachment 473506

REI did have bikes in stock., but all were $1100+
That just seems silly for me when who knows how often I’ll utilize it.

REI has one called a Co-op Cycles DRT-1 that starts around $549. A little over your budget, but it does you no good if they don't have any in stock.

024534a6-8025-412f-8d61-02a7623eba98.jpg

donaldtoo

Maybe I’ll just get a new pair of rollerblades for now.. unless there’s a shortage of those as well.

Rollerblades were my recreation/exercise of choice back when our kiddos were younger. Their elementary school had skate nights at a local skating rink every month, and I skated ‘round our hood a lot. Loved those things, and it was fun, low impact exercise...unless, of course, you plopped...!!!!! :hilarious: Which I did very rarely during that time. I still have a pair that the kiddos gave me a few years back, but, I’d need to lose a bit of tonnage before I got back on ‘em...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, again, I really loved rollerblading...!!!!! :inlove::)

epcotisbest

Rollerblades were my recreation/exercise of choice back when our kiddos were younger. Their elementary school had skate nights at a local skating rink every month, and I skated ‘round our hood a lot. Loved those things, and it was fun, low impact exercise...unless, of course, you plopped...!!!!! :hilarious: Which I did very rarely during that time. I still have a pair that the kiddos gave me a few years back, but, I’d need to lose a bit of tonnage before I got back on ‘em...!!!!! :hilarious:

I tried those one time, many, many years ago. Never got more than a few feet before I "plopped" and gave up rather quickly after plopping regularly.

21stamps

Did not check to see if in stock, I just remembered seeing these in one of the Atlanta stores a few months back.

Can you explain how I know what size I am with the size listed on REI?

I’m assuming that at 5’7 as my height, that I wouldn’t be an “extra small” for a bike?

The $650 one is extra small only, the $850 one has a small and medium..but I think that’s too much to spend after I add accessories and a bike rack for my Jeep.

Also, what could possibly make a bike worth $4,000?????

CA171776-C798-49C9-91E0-09C79FD6554C.png533082D9-EA3B-42B8-AD9C-CC2E9387E45F.png

epcotisbest

Can you explain how I know what size I am with the size listed on REI?

I’m assuming that at 5’7 as my height, that I wouldn’t be an “extra small” for a bike?

The $650 one is extra small only, the $850 one has a small and medium..but I think that’s too much to spend after I add accessories and a bike rack for my Jeep.

Also, what could possibly make a bike worth $4,000?????

View attachment 473516View attachment 473517

21stamps

I used to rollerblade almost daily when I lived in Florida. As T hit preschool age I stopped.. it was annoying when he was stopping to pick up rocks or something, decided to run alongside instead. I tried to get him into rollerblading in K-1st, but he was never interested. Now he’s too fast on his bike for me to keep up while running along.. I need wheels of some sort. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom