The British are invading!!!

MagicMegan

I'm here right now and it's still pretty crazy, but they are really polite. We went to go on the coaster in the kiddie section of Dinoland (forgot the name) and one older British woman stopped me while walking in the entrance of it and asked me if I was going on the ride. Of course my first reaction was to say "No, I just think it's fun to stand in the lines, but not ride." but I stopped myself, thank goodness. Ended up that her granddaughter, who is also from the UK, wanted to ride but the grandma has a bad heart, so she asked if she could ride with us. Cutest little girl ever! I felt like a child next to how mature she was.

93boomer

Premium Member
Great people!

We were down last October and met lots of wonderful people from England. The kids do have the nicest manners!! Talked to a family while waiting outside Everest. The kids were on break from school. They were having a wonderful time visiting the States. I just love listening to them speak with such eloquence- being that I am from the South!:)

snowpony

The British people are so very nice, plus they just seem so much more refined and classy compared to Americans. Even when Gordon Ramsay swears, he still makes it sound classy. :ROFLOL:

sweetpee_1993

I'm here right now and it's still pretty crazy, but they are really polite. We went to go on the coaster in the kiddie section of Dinoland (forgot the name) and one older British woman stopped me while walking in the entrance of it and asked me if I was going on the ride. Of course my first reaction was to say "No, I just think it's fun to stand in the lines, but not ride." but I stopped myself, thank goodness. Ended up that her granddaughter, who is also from the UK, wanted to ride but the grandma has a bad heart, so she asked if she could ride with us. Cutest little girl ever! I felt like a child next to how mature she was.

Awwww...that's such a sweet little story! Love it! :D This thread is making me almsot sorry I'm not there now. LOL! Not long, tho. Maybe there'll be some hold-overs from the UK. :wave:

cmatt

so wait... disney did not feel the need to get the riot squad out and huge jet hoses to break up the riots and drunkards?!.. pah! my fellow kinsman are letting the side down...!

jokes aside - nice thread... The best part of going to disney was for me to boldly state i am from Edinburgh with a sudo cockney accent :king:

and you 'lot' are alright yourselves.... for americans.... :kiss: lovely people indeed, I liked how the starbucks lady in my hotel KNEW i wanted a cinnamon role and a unhealthy amount of caffeine in the mornings... also as my lovely tends to just sleep constantly when she is on holiday it was nice to have someone to talk to before 11am :ROFLOL:

stuart

Don't usually write, just read, but had to make this observation. We just returned from a week at WDW, and could almost swear that 80% of the people we talked to in lines at the parks, and at the water parks, were from England. It must be the vacation season over there.

Not directed at you exclusively, but please remember not to confuse The United Kingdom of Great Britain And Northern Ireland with England.

However, October is certainly a popular time for British visitors with the schools being off - although schools in England / Wales / Scotland / Northern Ireland are always off at slightly different times - perhaps a few weeks apart. Easter can be popular too, expensive though, but the summer is the main time for visitors. Start of July is when the Scottish schools go off so you can see 4 flights out in a day from Glasgow on a Friday and Saturday which is probably around 1300 mark. When Excel, Globespan and Travel City were on the go it would be double that figure! The prices rocket towards late July / August when the English schools go off - More demand - and the airlines charge more in fees for taking off from Scotland / N.I.

In fact in general the flight prices have been going up and availability going down quite a bit with airlines / tour companies of Excel, Globespan and Travel City Direct all folding in the last couple years who operated a fair amount of capacity from Glasgow, Gatwick, Manchester, Cardiff, Belfast to Orlando. Virgin have also upped their fares quite a bit, but then again, they are bringing in new aircraft next year and redesigned economy and premium economy. There are quite good deals to be had with the likes of Continental and US Airways - and connecting is pretty simple and breaks the journey up as well.

Apart from the US, Canada Mexico and Brazil (thanks mainly to the tour groups), Brits make up the largest amount of International Visitors to WDW, which is why there are the 14 and 21 Ultimate Park Hopper tickets.

cmatt

All this Scottish pride is reminding me... whatever happened to Pumbas Nagasak? :veryconfu

english pride here :ROFLOL: i just like messing with people :animwink: but yes - I am English not British...

pumbass - i dunno - not seen him around much lately... shame that :(

cmatt

Not directed at you exclusively, but please remember not to confuse (The United Kingdom of Great) Britain with England.

a long battle to get people to realise this mate... I think it's because as an island we are rather small :)

stuart

a long battle to get people to realise this mate... I think it's because as an island we are rather small :)

The battle is even harder when you work with someone who didnt realise that Northern Ireland was part of the UK :brick:

cmatt

The battle is even harder when you work with someone who didnt realise that Northern Ireland was part of the UK :brick:

ahhh the greatest confusion...

the difference between great britain and united kingdom :ROFLOL:....:lookaroun

stuart

ahhh the greatest confusion...

the difference between great britain and united kingdom :ROFLOL:....:lookaroun

Well, she didn't grasp that either. Need to get the Have I Got News For You Guide to Britain book - inside there is a section on what constitutes British Isles, Great Britain, United Kingdom lol

Roxas

Well, she didn't grasp that either. Need to get the Have I Got News For You Guide to Britain book - inside there is a section on what constitutes British Isles, Great Britain, United Kingdom lol

For our American friends it's very Simple

Great Britain is the largest island, containing England, Scotland and Wales

The British Isles is the name for all of the islands in the area, the largest 2 being Great Britain and Ireland

The United Kingdom is comprised of England, Scotland Wales and also Northenr Ireland

England is the largest of the countries and also the best by a long margin closely followed by the Republic of Ireland, although I am biased somewhat :lol:

cmatt

For our American friends it's very Simple

Great Britain is the largest island, containing England, Scotland and Wales

The British Isles is the name for all of the islands in the area, the largest 2 being Great Britain and Ireland

The United Kingdom is comprised of England, Scotland Wales and also Northenr Ireland

England is the largest of the countries and also the best by a long margin closely followed by the Republic of Ireland, although I am biased somewhat :lol:

pfft - don't tell them.... there is no fun in that :D

dave&di

english pride here :ROFLOL: i just like messing with people :animwink: but yes - I am English not British...

pumbass - i dunno - not seen him around much lately... shame that :(

I agree, I do not call myself British, I am English, I am from England not England, Scotland and Wales! I know people have to generalise but when I'm asked my nationality I'm English not British.

cmatt

I agree, I do not call myself British, I am English, I am from England not England, Scotland and Wales! I know people have to generalise but when I'm asked my nationality I'm English not British.

Oddly - I only started to call myself english when i moved to scotland... but yes - english :)

zurgandfriend

That's okay some people I've met, from the US I might add think that the 2 letter postal code "NE" stands for New England which is a state, we a football team and everything.

BrowncoatChelle

My parents would kill me if I ever called either of them British. My mother is from Cork, my father is from Ayrshire. I was told repeatedly that they are Scottish and Irish. And the rest of my family is the same.

cmatt

My parents would kill me if I ever called either of them British. My mother is from Cork, my father is from Ayrshire. I was told repeatedly that they are Scottish and Irish. And the rest of my family is the same.

yeh - the scots are VERY proud to be scots... certainly like to make themselves known :ROFLOL:

what town in ayrshire?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom