The British are invading!!!

wdwjmp239

Hello everyone!

I live in Florida and this is the time of year where our European friends from across the pond come visit because it's cheap for them to fly over, spend some money, visit the attractions (including Disney), and go home. This time of year (mid October to about mid November - right before Thanksgiving) is the cheapest time for them to come over. Plus, the kids over there get a break from school this time of year, as well. This is considered our "European Tourist Season" before the real tourist season (December to April) kicks in.

The folks from England are quite friendly. When my wife and I were at Disney with our daughter a couple of weeks ago, we were talking to a young British couple with their daughter (approximately 6 years old) at the Magic Kingdom and they were nice to talk to. The conversation started when their daughter turned to our daughter, looked at my wife, and said, "Your baby is pretty." The funny things that can get a conversation started. :)

Tiggerfanatic

Imagine my excitement when this SW Pennsylvanian found the Disney store in Belfast when I was visiting my DD @ Queens University this past srping. It was a definitive Kodak moment....

MarkTwain

Is there any blanket term like United Kingdomish for those referring to people from N. Ireland and Britain?

And this thread really needs to be renamed "The British are coming!!!" It's so close to that already... :lol:

rsoxguy

And this thread really needs to be renamed "The British are coming!!!" It's so close to that already... :lol:

Nerdish Trivia:

Paul Revere and William Dawes rode to warn of the British, but they more than likely yelled "the regulars are out" instead of "the british are coming". The residents of a British Colony considered themselves as being British, and these two men would never have identified the British as, well, the British.
You may now return to your non-thread-drift chatter.

BrowncoatChelle

To be honest, I was born in Edinburgh, something about my father wanting me to be born "at home" even though they were living in the States by then. Sadly, I was back in Texas by the time I was a couple months old.

pumpkin7

what a nice thread! i'm from the UK myself, coming from birmingham. there are probably lots of brits around because it's half term, so all the families who didn't want to go to florida during the big 6 week summer holiday are going now. don't blame them really, i guess there are less people in the parks at the moment, and it's that little bit cooler.

Mikester71

The Magical Mitten! Michigan!

I know that residents of the upper peninsula ( Da Yoopers ) sound a bit Fargo-ish.

Mid state and western state I suppose typical midwestern

Perhaps quasi-Canadian, though I can tell a Canadian right off from a Michigander.

Lots of southern accents here also thanks to teh auto industry. It seems to be the one accent that people don't shake when they move.

:ROFLOL:Me too...especially since I am a Canadian married to a Michigander! It's funny too because we usually confuse people when we drive down and stop for a bite to eat in some small town down south because they can't figure out why my wife and I sound different when we tell them we are driving down from Canada. This one cashier at a fast food restaurant last year was having trouble understanding part of our order, but the funny part was she understood me more than my wife. She thought our accents were funny and I was all like, no, no...she (my wife) is one of you, an American. The three of us (pointing to myself and the two kids) are the only TRUE Canadians! :ROFLOL:

Jeff456

I love the english accent! I wonder if traveling to WDW is cheaper than traveling to DLP from Great Brittain?
Definitely not.. you can drive to DLP for about £200 for fuel and the Eurotunnel, and could have 5+ people in the car, whereas flights are always over £500 each. WDW is much better though, so it feels worth it!

NedFlanders

What a lovely thread! Britis abroad usually get pretty bad press, although I like to think "Disney people are good people"! (OK, not always, I know!)

For my part, I would like to add that we really enjoy listening to the North American children speaking, I do find accents fascinating. We like trying to guess which region they are from.

Incidently, why is Mary Poppins funny???? :shrug:

I think a part of the Brits not getting bad press in Disney is because of the lack of alcohol in the theme parks... like Americans, the Brit's rude behavior seems closely correlated to the amount of alcohol consumed.... So just imagine the roving bands of Brazilian teens if they were also drinking, could they be any worse?

NedFlanders

Definitely not.. you can drive to DLP for about £200 for fuel and the Eurotunnel, and could have 5+ people in the car, whereas flights are always over £500 each. WDW is much better though, so it feels worth it!

I am curious... does one find lots of the rude Parisian types at DLP? If so I can see a definite reason to pick WDW over DLP.

BrowncoatChelle

It's funny, the last time I was at DLP, almost all the staff were British. I got to talk to many of them and they were pretty cool. Made me want to work for Disney even more....just wish I could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom