The British are invading!!!

googilycub

Ha! I can only imagine how entertaining it must be.

Heck, in Indiana alone, there are at least 3 dialects (regions) - and a few variations of each within each dialect.

We've got some "northerners" up north who often sound like Canadian Jr's. Then there's us in the middle (not sure what we sound like....besides redneck). Then there's the real hillbillys down in southern Indiana :lol:

Don't forget about us in da region of NW Indiana who have the Chicago accent.:wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32OeqbYbHg

Krack

Incidently, why is Mary Poppins funny???? :shrug:

We're Americans ... we love accents (probably because everyone in our country has one). British accents are great. When it belongs to a 60 year old man, he seems wise. When it belongs to a 25 year old woman, she's a little sexier. And when it comes out of a 6 year old, it's adorable.

weird

Hi everyone.

First time poster to this great Disney Family site. :)

I had to chime in and agree that the British are very friendly. When my family and I were at Epcot in July, we stopped by the United Kingdom, and the British lady who worked there came over and offered to add ice to our spray bottle.

When we were hiding from the heat in China, we bumped into a British family who were as disappointed as I was that the United Kingdom didn't have a Police Box. We were all just sitting there joking about it.

Tom

Beta Return
We're Americans ... we love accents (probably because everyone in our country has one). British accents are great. When it belongs to a 60 year old man, he seems wise. When it belongs to a 25 year old woman, she's a little sexier. And when it comes out of a 6 year old, it's adorable.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

MarkTwain

Must also send my compliments to the British Disney fans. :D I ran into quite a few on my last Disney cruise (which left from Dover), who were all very polite.

What a lovely thread! Brits abroad usually get pretty bad press, although I like to think "Disney people are good people"! (OK, not always, I know!)

For my part, I would like to add that we really enjoy listening to the North American children speaking, I do find accents fascinating. We like trying to guess which region they are from.

That's interesting... I've always wondered if Brits found the American accent as foreign as we do the British. I guess I'm so used to the American accent that it's tough to think of it as foreign. :)

Ha! I can only imagine how entertaining it must be.

Heck, in Indiana alone, there are at least 3 dialects (regions) - and a few variations of each within each dialect.

We've got some "northerners" up north who often sound like Canadian Jr's. Then there's us in the middle (not sure what we sound like....besides redneck). Then there's the real hillbillys down in southern Indiana :lol:

Woah now!

redneckNSH.jpg

... I'm from the Ville. :lol:

I don't think Indiana people sound that redneck... there are definitely more backwood-sounding places in the US.

In terms of different American accents, I can think of:
Boston
New York / New Jersey
Northern / semi-Canadian (doncha know?)
Southern
Country (different from Southern IMO... an authentic Southerner may want to verify)
Cajun / New Orleans
Chicago (ChicAAAHHgo)
Californian

...But most Americans I've met don't even have seem to have strong regional accents. :shrug:

BrowncoatChelle

Most of my friends are English, Scottish or Irish. My family are all Scottish or Irish as my mom is from Ireland and my dad from Scotland. Of course, I grew up in Texas, so what do I know?

I know that my family and I have an entertaining time just talking with each other. :)

But I will agree that most children from the UK I know seem better behaved than the ones from over here. At least at first blush.

graphite1326

What a lovely thread! Britis abroad usually get pretty bad press, although I like to think "Disney people are good people"! (OK, not always, I know!)

For my part, I would like to add that we really enjoy listening to the North American children speaking, I do find accents fascinating. We like trying to guess which region they are from.

Just a minute here. We aren't the ones with accents; you are. LOL

kapeman

But I will agree that most children from the UK I know seem better behaved than the ones from over here. At least at first blush.

Just curious, but I wonder if there is a socioeconomic aspect to this due to the extra expense incurred to the UK visitors vs the ones from the US?

My wife and I are both anglophiles and I am of Scottish extraction, so, of course, we love to hear the various dialects from the UK/Ireland!

Tom

Beta Return
Must also send my compliments to the British Disney fans. :D I ran into quite a few on my last Disney cruise (which left from Dover), who were all very polite.

That's interesting... I've always wondered if Brits found the American accent as foreign as we do the British. I guess I'm so used to the American accent that it's tough to think of it as foreign. :)

Woah now!

redneckNSH.jpg

... I'm from the Ville. :lol:

I don't think Indiana people sound that redneck... there are definitely more backwood-sounding places in the US.

...But most Americans I've met don't even have seem to have strong regional accents. :shrug:

That's my cousin Buford from Bedford! :p

I was hoping a fellow Hoosier would see this and reply and comment. I was just trying to stir the pot a little. You're right that there are pockets of "weirdness" down in southern IN, but for the most part we all sound similar.

As for strong regional accents here, people from New England, Wisconsin/Michigan, and the deep south stand out the most to me when I hear them speak. Deep southern accents can almost sound foreign.

Now I'm curious as to what my accent sounds like?!?!?!?

Where are you from?

greebomusic

The Magical Mitten! Michigan!

I know that residents of the upper peninsula ( Da Yoopers ) sound a bit Fargo-ish.

Mid state and western state I suppose typical midwestern

Perhaps quasi-Canadian, though I can tell a Canadian right off from a Michigander.

Lots of southern accents here also thanks to teh auto industry. It seems to be the one accent that people don't shake when they move.

greebomusic

LOL... nevermind, I found someone that answered my question!
:ROFLOL:

Welcome to the Michigan Accent Pronunciation Guide
Ahhh, Michigan! Land of big waters. Place where you point to your palm to give directions. Home of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Meijer Thrifty Acres, and the Michigan Militia, as well as native musicians Eminem, Madonna, and the Romantics. Admidit: you've alwayz waanted to tock like yer from Michigin. Ev'ryone secritly does. The good neeuwz is that 't's easy an' fun... heere's how!
A little bit Fargo, a little bit Nasal Chicago, and a little bit Canadian, the Michigan Accent was derived from a lot of the linguistic influences of its early settlers: Irish, Finnish, Welsh and Dutch. In some areas, particularly around blue collar parts of Detroit, hordes of poor Southerners who came up the Dixie Highway to work on the assembly lines in the early-to-mid 1900's have also injected a bit of Southern twang into our Northern European heritage.
The resulting mix is similar to a pirate from Kentucky with a head cold... something my friends give me a hard time about quite frequently.

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml

BrowncoatChelle

Just curious, but I wonder if there is a socioeconomic aspect to this due to the extra expense incurred to the UK visitors vs the ones from the US?

My wife and I are both anglophiles and I am of Scottish extraction, so, of course, we love to hear the various dialects from the UK/Ireland!

I am sure my aunts and uncles would be able to answer that better. But I think part of it is that, as well as the fact that in my family at least, we're trained in being polite by our parents. So many of my friends here that have kids let them get away with murder.

sweetpee_1993

I've lived in different regions and I pick up accents easily. If I'm around my southern Alabama (veeeery country) relatives I pick up their accent as soon as I hear it. Then I'm talking like they do. If I'm around my friends in the New Orleans area I pick up their accent in nothing flat. It's weird. Bugs me in a way.

In terms of different American accents, I can think of:
Boston
New York / New Jersey
Northern / semi-Canadian (doncha know?)
Southern
Country (different from Southern IMO... an authentic Southerner may want to verify)
Cajun / New Orleans
Chicago (ChicAAAHHgo)
Californian

Spend time with people from New Orleans and that general region and you will learn to pick up on where in the area they are from. Cajuns are cajuns. The real 'down south' ones have that thicker accent sorta like the firefly in 'Princess & the Frog'. The older ones will skip back and forth between French & English all in one sentence. Folks that are from St. Bernard Parish which is to the east of New Orleans (commonly referred to as being from 'da Pah-rish) sorta sound like they're from Brooklyn or something. And they totally can pick each other out of a crowd and get going in conversation. They'll almost always know people in common. That's a tight little community over there. Some of the best people I've known. Folks from Metairie or Kenner or other areas of the city all have more a mixture of all the wonderful accents. It's really cool. I miss living over there something fierce. It was such a rich culture all in itself.

scott7302

Hey Guys

It is so nice to see all these nice comments about us Brits!

I live in an area called Crystal Palace in London, the crystal palace restaurant is based partly on the palace that used to be where I live.

I went to Disney world last in 2007, everyone seemed facinated by my accent, one woman said I sounded like hugh grant lol... Oh yeah a CM asked to buy my £5 note off me for $20 lol, "because it has the queen on it" "have you met her" "have you been to wimbleton" she meant wimbledon lol. I felt very welcome!!

I can't wait to go again in January 2011... I hope that our cousins from the over the pond are equally as welcoming as you have been on previous trips! :)

dave&di

This thread is funny because it reminded me of this thing that Nick Swardson the comedian said - it is exactly what everyone is talking about - check it out....only 1 minute long.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZXsZkOpF6c

I have yet to hear an american do an english accent that sounds realistic, I find them all stereo typical, it either a ________ Van impression (which was diabolical!!!) or straight from 'Oliver' "Cor blimey guvnor" or the final one is where we are all very posh and stuck up! I have never said "cheerio" or "bridges" in my life!!!
But any way!! Thanks for the compliments. Regarding badly behaved children, Here in England I believe our youngsters are hideous! (Not all i'm sure!) I work at an Animal Sanctuary and I see ALOT of horrible kids (I don't mean goats!) doing things they shouldn't. But then I have also seen some brats at WDW. My theory is that children at WDW from the UK are out of their comfort zone and may be feeling that they are along way from home and feeling slightly shy, so are behaving a bit calmer?

I love all the American accents but could only probably recognise a few!.

Love and kisses from London!!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom