The Brickers' F'n October 2011 Trip Report (Food & Wine and Fortieth Anniversary)

This report is going to be a little different. Rather than my normal, incredibly verbose style, I'm going to post a CliffNotes version, of sorts, of the trip report here.

I will, as always, post the full report on my personal website.

However, it's simply too much work to copy it all here, plus I'm sure all of the photos are taxing on the WDWMagic servers.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I've been reading the longer report too! It comes as no surprise that your food pictures are amazing!

Does flickr not list properties anymore? I hate that! I'm always curious about settings and lenses. :)

It should all be there in the EXIF data--most of those shots are hosted on Photobucket, though.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Looks like I've missed a few updates:

It seemed clear time was going to be of the essence, so I requested that Nick drop me off at the Custom House. Sarah offered to take my camera bag to the room, but I declined. As I walked to Bell Services, I hoped for the best, knowing that anything was a possibility. Surprisingly, they found the costumes in about 2 minutes, and I was on my way. Looks like there wouldn’t be as much of a time crunch as I originally expected!

Unfortunately, the costumes were far heavier than expected, and extremely awkward to carry with the garment bags. I was beginning to realize that these costumes might be quite unbearable to wear in the Florida heat, something I didn’t contemplate when I made the order on a cool fall day in Indiana, which, apparently, has different fall weather than Florida.

The Disney Parks Blog team encouraged Guests to get into the Halloween spirit by dressing in costumes, and many Guests were doing exactly that. Sarah had taken a peak at the female costume I had purchased, and really wanted to wear it that night. Previously, she had told me that she wasn’t going to wear this particular costume. I bought it anyway because the seller gave me a package deal on it with my costume, and I figured she might need a backup. Sarah had originally planned a pretty awesome costume, but due to a delay on Amazon.com’s part (a rarity), it wouldn’t be possible. So she was partly “forced” into wanting to wear this costume, but I could tell she also liked it.

So we suited up in the costumes of Sarah’s choice. Even though we were running late, we spent probably five minutes looking at them in the mirror, and laughing. After we had our laughs, I grabbed the sheet with our pickup information to see where we needed to go.

We boarded the Disney Cruise Line Mears bus, and the bus took us, and only us, to Blizzard Beach. At Blizzard Beach, we ran into plenty of others who we knew, each seeming to laugh and shake their heads when they saw our costumes. My rough estimate based upon viewing the crowd would be that there were around 250 attendees, all of whom gathered at Blizzard Beach for registration prior to being shuttled on Disney Cruise Line buses to the Magic Kingdom.

Sarah and I chose to go as a classic Disney couple: Beast and...errr...Mrs. Potts? Like I said, the guy from whom I bought the costumes gave me a deal on the Mrs. Potts one. He only had a Belle costume in a child’s size. When we looked for Belle costumes, we discovered that nice Belle costume isn't exactly so cheap to make or purchase, so Sarah opted to go as arguably the most important story in Beauty and the Beast, Mrs. Potts!

20110929_214.jpg

20110929_215.jpg

Once inside, we were seated in the Hall of Presidents while Disney Parks Blogger, Gary Buchanan, dressed as a large brown object entertained us. At first, he appeared a bit...lewd...but once he explained that he was a turkey leg, the light bulb went off and we thought, "oh yeah, turkey leg!" I don't think we were the only attendees who initially thought he was something else. I wish I had taken a photo of him, but I think you can imagine what the “something else” might be.

20110929_216.jpg

Disney’s Social Media director Leanne Jakubowski took the "stage" after the turkey leg, and introduced the rest of the Disney Parks Blog team. It was nice to finally meet many members of the blogging team whose work we had been reading for the last couple of years. Overall, they seemed like a cool bunch who were certainly enthusiastic about Disney.

Next up was the star of the show: Jason Surrell. As I mentioned in our Part 16 of our May Trip Report, Jason Surrell, along with Alex Wright and Jason Grandt, hosted the presentation at Destination D that was by far the most humorous and enjoyable. Absent were his partners in crime on this evening, but Jason was just as funny as before.

20110929_218.jpg

He began the presentation rather innocuously, calmly discussing the history of the Haunted Mansion before pausing, and indicating that all of us fans probably already knew all of that. At that point, his presentation devolved (although the connotation is a little harsh there, as this is when the presentation really became good) into the Jason Surrell Comedy Hour, as he joked with the audience.

He started by mocking those taking photo after photo of him doing relatively the same thing (uh oh), then he mocked those transcribing his every action and sentence onto social media sites (double uh oh), and later inferred that Abe Lincoln (behind him) would be disappointed if he could see the country's obsession with social media. Ironically, he had the crowd, myself included, which consisted largely of avid social media users, in stitches. He later offered to buy someone in the front a new hat, which I believe was a joke, although after seeing this person’s hat, maybe it wasn’t (says the man who wore the ridiculous Beast costume).

Jason Surrell’s presentation wasn't entirely jokes, as he mixed in a good deal of information, and answered questions along the way. One of note to me was that he bluntly indicated that, at present, Disney felt it inappropriate to bring Haunted Mansion Holiday to Walt Disney World. This is because, compared to Disneyland, most Walt Disney World Guests were infrequent or once-in-a-lifetime visitors, and as such, Disney wanted to present the original Haunted Mansion to them. It was nice for someone at Disney (for once) to treat fans as if they're rational and intelligent human beings capable of hearing an actual answer rather than the typical, "our Guests have told us that they want X." I appreciate the honest answer, but I hope this same type of thinking isn’t applied across the board. I mean, management could easily use this same rationale to delay a needed refurbishment: “once-in-a-lifetime guests would rather get the chance to experience a Splash Mountain with a few effects broken than not experience it at all, so we should delay the refurbishment.” In the context of a Haunted Mansion overlay, I respect the rationale, but it is a slippery slope.

20110929_228.jpg

Surrell's presentation was by far the highlight of the evening, but he wasn't the only character at the event that evening. Minnie and Mickey Mouse were on hand for photos, decked out in their Halloween attire. After Surrell’s presentation, we indecisively wandered around for a bit, trying to determine where we should go.

Dr. Facilier was also out, as were The Cadaver Dans performed, and Madame Carlotta and Renata entertained attendees waiting in line for the Haunted Mansion queue tours, while Haunted Mansion butlers and maids were fully decked out as they dredged around, walking ghoulish dogs.

Trick or treat bags were passed out so Guests could wander Liberty Square and the edge of Frontierland to collect candy. Light refreshments, including drinks and desserts were available. Tours of the new Haunted Mansion interactive queue were offered with Imagineers Pete Carsillo or Eric Goodman, the Haunted Mansion was also open for rides, and the lighting package used for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was also utilized during this event.

Our next stop was the line for the tour. As we waited in line, Thomas Smith of the Parks Blog approached us, and gave us a Create-Your-Own Vinylmations as recognition for our costumes. Other Guests received these as well, so it wasn’t as if we received “first place” (which we would not have deserved--there were Haunted Mansion costumes that were easily better than ours!). It was really cool to win! We’re still trying to determine how to design the Vinylmation.

Clearly, we should have done the queue tour first. The line was fairly long, and with the small groups there were taking, we figured we’d be lucky to get through the line by the time the event ended. Luckily, it was entertaining with the Madames interacting with the crowd. The wait actually only took around 25 minutes. The tours by Carsillo and Goodman were very interesting, and pointed out details and rationale for why certain things were placed as they were in the queue. This all gave me new appreciation for the queue. As I stated before in our May trip report, I thought the new queue was neat, but I certainly wasn't singing its praises (nor was I condemning it like most). This definitely swayed me towards being more of a fan of the queue. At the end of our tour, Carsillo pointed out a really cool detail that no one in our group had noticed before, and said, “see, people should really look at these things before they knock the queue!” Apparently, he knew his work had been vilified online.

If I were an Imagineer (assuming I had that kind of talent), I think the biggest difficulty would be ignoring the persistent criticism from the “fan” community. Every aspect of every project is scrutinized and criticized online by a fan-group that is hardly representative of the general public, and often can’t see beyond the end of their noses. They assume that every aspect of the park should appeal to them personally, and can’t seem to understand that the interests of casual Guests, Disney’s target demographic, is substantially different from their own interests. I think I would try to avoid reading criticisms of my own work, but you know there would be that lingering curiosity. I know if thousands of people scrutinized the work that I do on a daily basis, they would probably find some “serious” problems. I suppose at the same time, it’d be pretty awesome on one of those rare occasions when you were one of the people behind a project that was almost universally praised.

After the Haunted Mansion queue tour, we spotted Daisy and Donald, so we headed over to have our photo taken with them. It was the same less-than-friendly handler as Minnie and Mickey had, but this time we hedged our bets by not leaving the vicinity of the ducks until we checked the photos. They turned out this time!

20110929_232.jpg

20110929_234.jpg

20110929_235.jpg

As the night wound down, the Headless Horseman ran through Liberty Square. We had a decent view of the run, although my photos turned out less-than-stellar. Afterward, everyone just sort of stood around, maybe hoping that he was going to make another loop.

20110929_236.jpg

Finally, we headed back towards the Splash Mountain exit. Every Guest won, in a way, as we all received posters of the Hitchhiking Ghosts on the way out of the event, along with a “Nightmare Before Christmas” Vinylmation, plus wonderful memories.

20110929_239.jpg

Overall, we were very pleased by the event. It was a great experience, especially for the (free) price! There was plenty of entertainment, a great presenter, and great atmosphere throughout the night. It was thoughtful of Disney to hold the event over the weekend of October 1st, 2011, as it gave many out of town guests who would be in town for that weekend an opportunity to be a part of the fun. Thanks Disney Parks Blog team for a great evening! Now here's hoping for a Christmas meet sometime between December 8th and 11th that we'll be able to attend!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
^Eh, crappy selection of photos in that last update, but I'm blindly removing most of them to stay within the 10/post limit.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
The previous night we had gone to bed at 1:30 am, and it’s really a good thing we didn’t stay up any later. Perhaps it was workout we got from wearing those hot costumes (that likely became heavier as the night wore on, as they soaked up sweat), but we were both fairly tired the next morning.

I began by heading to Old Port Royale, again taking my cameras and refillable mug to start the day with some photography and caffeine.

I made this a much shorter trip than the previous day. I had captured a lot of photos the previous day, and my path was the same, so I didn’t see many new things to capture. I did, however, decide to put my hesitance aside and head over the pool. I am normally reluctant to take photos around pools because there are people in bathing suits walking around, while I have a bunch of camera gear and am fully clothed. I don’t want people thinking I’m the sleazy photog/paparazzi trying to capture photos of scantily-clad individuals. Not sure if this is actually what people think, but it’s always in the back of my head.

Anyway, I wanted to get some cool photos of the canons in the pool. These canons are really close to the edge of the pool. I had very little room to navigate. As I’m bending down to take my shot, a little kid comes running around the site of one of the canons, almost colliding with me. Even though my camera is water sealed, I’m pretty sure it couldn’t handle falling into the pool, so I quickly ended this mission after narrowly averting disaster.

20110930_249.jpg

When I arrived back at our room, I got ready, and we headed to the bus stop. Again, we were spending the morning at Epcot. Since it was Food & Wine Festival, we planned on spending a lot of time there.

20110930_396.jpg

After we headed through the turnstiles, I suggested to Sarah that maybe she could get FastPasses for Soarin’ while I took some photos of Spaceship Earth. The sun was still at a decent point in the sky for photos, so I figured I ought to grab a few.

20110930_260.jpg

With Sarah busy for at least 10 minutes, I went wild with my cameras. I probably took over 100 photos of Spaceship Earth in that short time, and had a blast in the process. I can only imagine some local watching me snap so many frames, thinking, “silly tourist.”

20110930_399.jpg

I later discovered that my D7000 was putting oil on the high-pass filter above the sensor, which could only be removed by a professional. Or, in my case, an idiot with some household items and some swabs from Hong Kong. Yep, I actually cleaned it myself with sensor wet-swabs. These swabs left streaks that I removed with a Q-Tip. Luckily, I removed the oil and didn’t ruin the camera in the process. I was so reluctant to send the camera to Nikon (I’ve heard nothing but bad things about their service) that I actually risked my thousand dollar camera. Well, no one can accuse me of not being a risk-taker, at least!

Once Sarah purchased her gift card, which of course was a must purchase thanks to its fashionable wrist strap, we debated what to do next.

Well, it wasn’t really much of a debate. Like the people we drive past at 6:45 am in the rough parts of ton outside liquor stores, Sarah decided to line up for the Desserts and CHAMPAGNE stand. Lush.

20110930_263.jpg

In all fairness, she didn’t actually buy any alcohol, but I thought it was pretty funny to see her standing in line outside of a closed alcohol kiosk. I suppose my sense of humor is a little warped. Again, she purchased the Dessert Trio. This was a really smart move.

After lunch we took a leisurely route back to the World Showcase. Somewhere along the way, it dawned upon me that Be Our Guest Podcast was having its meet in the World Showcase. Through the magic of the internet, we determined that they were in France, so we made our way over there. As we headed in that direction, we spotted Don Sullivan, blue-sky photography extraordinaire and person of whom everyone else is jealous. This jealousy steams from the fact that he casually mentions dropping into the parks for leisurely activities, since he is an Orlando local. Here is an excerpt from a random conversation someone probably had with Don: “What are you doing this afternoon, Don?” “Oh, I don’t know, probably making loops on the TTA while I watch YouTube videos on my iPad and take a nap at the Swan Boat landing.”

I had been wanting to watch Impressions De France for a while, but Sarah had never seen too interested. So, in a bit of a cheap move, I appealed to Sarah to watch it in front of a few others who I knew liked the film based upon previous conversations. Of course, they gave it a resoundingly positive endorsement when I asked if it was worth seeing, so we decided to go see it. One of the first things I learned in law school was to never ask a witness a question to which you don’t know the answer. That’s probably the one thing I learned in that place that had real-world applicability.

I wasn’t expecting much from Impressions de France, but my desire to see every Walt Disney World attraction led me to want to see it. Once the film began, and the first few notes of music started playing, I was blown away. I can only describe the music as hauntingly beautiful. I know that’s a tired phrase, but it was really “beautiful” music.

The cinematography was also awesome, and really made me want to visit France. It was like Soarin’, except without the simulation of flying and didn’t conclude with a fly-over of Disneyland Paris. Oh, and it was set in France, obviously. If someday French people stop s__________g, we might just consider visiting France (just kidding, France). I guess that’s the point of the World Showcase pavilions, though, right? I mean, why else would the countries (or corporations in the host countries) sponsor the pavilions?

20110930_276.jpg

We had been keeping in touch with some photographers on Flickr who would be attending the weekend, and we received word that they were on their way to the World Showcase, so we headed in their direction. Once we met, we stood around Canada for a few minutes chatting. I would estimate that there were around 10 people or so. It was good to catch up with the other photographers, many of whom I correspond with regularly, and would consider friends.

That said, as soon as we started moving through World Showcase, I could tell this wasn’t going to work for us. I’m an incredibly impatient person. Sarah calls it “only child syndrome.” I don’t mind conversing with others, and relaxing, but in the setting of Walt Disney World, I find it to be a waste of time to aimlessly wander around with no set purpose or destination in mind, and I don’t like standing in one spot and conversing. Conversing over dinner or while waiting in line are another story, but standing around or slowly wandering around are not things I enjoy. Even when I take photos, I don’t work methodically.

People who have traveled with us have remarked upon this in the past, surprised that I don’t devote more time to taking photos. Usually, my strategy is quickly walking ahead a bit, and taking a photo in the time it takes Sarah to catch up to me. If the photo isn’t what I had in mind, oh well, I move on. At night, I typically take more time, but attractions usually aren’t open when I do my nighttime shooting, so I’m not really interfering with any normal “park-activities” then. This is just my preference, and my impatience is definitely a fault of mine.

Because of this, I don’t really like to partake in anything where decisions are made by committee. It wastes time and is generally inefficient, in my opinion. I could tell that there was a strong chance the pace was going to be the slow on this day, so I thought I would set the standard, and walk in the front of the group. The group stopped several times. Finally, Sarah and I kept going, figuring either people would follow, or we’d meet up with them later. It was too hot for us to do wander the World Showcase taking photos, anyway.

Even though it was hot, we realized we didn’t have many photos of us together, and the sky looked gorgeous, so we made a brief stop at the second story of the Japan pavilion to snap a couple of photos before continuing on to the Hops & Barley kiosk to get another one of the excellent Pumpkin Mousse snacks. In case you didn’t read the last installment, this is an amazing snack, and for only $1.50, it’s an absolute must-try. Given its cult-like popularity on the internet this year, expect Disney to adjust accordingly for next year and price it at $7.95.

20110930_283.jpg

From here, we finally had some air-conditioned relief from the heat, as we stepped inside of the Mexico pavilion and rode Grand Fiesta Tour. As we approached the San Angel eating area, something dawned on me...you enter inside a temple, and on the inside, you’re outside again? On top of that, there are more temples outside on the river, which is also inside a temple. “Trippy.” Somewhere on the after the little museum inside the temple, do you actually “leave” the temple? I couldn’t make heads or tails of it (truth be told, I’m just now thinking of it; had I thought of it at the time, I would’ve looked to see if you exit the main temple when you enter the outdoor courtyard that’s actually indoors.

As we completed our several hour circuit of the World Showcase, we just had to stop for another snack at the Dessert & Champagne kiosk. We wanted to try something different, so Sarah ordered a snack that wasn’t the Dessert Trio. Unfortunately, neither of us can read, and she actually ended up just ordering one of the snacks in the Dessert Trio. As the kids say, “Grand Fail” or something like that.

20110930_300.jpg

20110930_301.jpg

20110930_302.jpg

Next stop was Club Cool for some afternoon caffeine! While there, I spotted an Asian couple decked out in Tokyo Disneyland gear. The last time I tried to talk to people wearing Tokyo Disneyland attire (I offered to take their photo in June 2010), disaster ensued, as I think they thought I was trying to harass them. Truth be told, I’m just really excited about Tokyo Disneyland, and am likely to stop anyone wearing Tokyo Disneyland attire (be warned!) and ask them their thoughts on the park.

I don’t remember about what, exactly, we talked, but there was a bit of a language barrier. They were really nice, and I think they more or less understood me (I only know one Japanese word, and it wasn’t helpful here, so I relied on their knowledge of English). They seemed really enthusiastic about Tokyo Disneyland, calling it their home park (I think), and they said they also really liked Walt Disney World.

Sarah just laughed at this, surprised that I would stop some random people and start randomly talking to them. I explained that this was a special case, as these people were Tokyo Disneyland experts! Of course I had to stop them!

As we exited Club Cool, we met up with Nick, and walked to Disney’s Hollywood Studios through the International Gateway.

enchanted_belle

Sarah and I chose to go as a classic Disney couple: Beast and...errr...Mrs. Potts? Like I said, the guy from whom I bought the costumes gave me a deal on the Mrs. Potts one. He only had a Belle costume in a child’s size. When we looked for Belle costumes, we discovered that nice Belle costume isn't exactly so cheap to make or purchase, so Sarah opted to go as arguably the most important story in Beauty and the Beast, Mrs. Potts!

20110929_214.jpg

:eek: I was looking for a Belle costume this time last week, doing so through google images, and your photo showed up about five times. I kept looking at it like "wait a minute, they look familiar..." now I know why! :lol:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
:eek: I was looking for a Belle costume this time last week, doing so through google images, and your photo showed up about five times. I kept looking at it like "wait a minute, they look familiar..." now I know why! :lol:

Funny. There was actually a photo of us up on the Disney Parks Blog after the event, so maybe that's the one? I don't title trip report images, so it would be odd for it to show up in a Google image search. Who knows, though...

enchanted_belle

Funny. There was actually a photo of us up on the Disney Parks Blog after the event, so maybe that's the one? I don't title trip report images, so it would be odd for it to show up in a Google image search. Who knows, though...

Of course now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it at all. :lol:

PartOfYourWorld

Been following your report on your blog and it is great! I think I posted a comment on Part 1 over there.

I wanted to say your picture of the Cobb Salad looks amazing! We have never tried the Hollywood Brown Derby, and this I think just changed my mind! Now I am wishing I did dining with an Imagineer over there!

Sarabell

I´m actually reading the extended version of your TR on your website. I love the whole thing!! I love Sarah´s Ms Potts costume and you look soo funny with the beast costume!.

I really need to make it to F&W some day. Those snacks look soo yummy!:slurp:

Disneyfalcon

Really? Shoot, I must be missing it. I was looking on your flickr for the ones that were posted there.

Okay, I must be having a flickr problem! The "Additional Information" link has disappeared. Not just on your pictures, it's not on anyone's photos that I'm viewing.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. The work around I've found is to change this (for example):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombricker/6283543376/in/photostream

To this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombricker/6283543376/meta

Is the link right in front of me and I'm missing it?

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Tom your getting slow at posting over here thankfully i get my fix over at the blog :lookaroun

Been following your report on your blog and it is great! I think I posted a comment on Part 1 over there.

I wanted to say your picture of the Cobb Salad looks amazing! We have never tried the Hollywood Brown Derby, and this I think just changed my mind! Now I am wishing I did dining with an Imagineer over there!

Yeah, you're definitely better off reading over there. I have way too much on my plate right now, and I barely get a chance to read/post over here, let along copy and paste something that I've already posted elsewhere.

I imagine it will only get worse as the year concludes--it's a busy couple of months for us. In a good way!

Your costumes are adorable :wave:

Thanks!

I´m actually reading the extended version of your TR on your website. I love the whole thing!! I love Sarah´s Ms Potts costume and you look soo funny with the beast costume!.

I really need to make it to F&W some day. Those snacks look soo yummy!:slurp:

Yeah, the costumes were fun, but they were HOT. Personally, I prefer my MNSSHP costume!

Okay, I must be having a flickr problem! The "Additional Information" link has disappeared. Not just on your pictures, it's not on anyone's photos that I'm viewing.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. The work around I've found is to change this (for example):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombricker/6283543376/in/photostream

To this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombricker/6283543376/meta

Is the link right in front of me and I'm missing it?

Actions>View EXIF Info should get you there. If not, that's a decent workaround.

I will warn you, though--looking at my EXIF data is like studying the scribblings of a deranged madman. What I do often goes against the grain of conventional "wisdom."

93boomer

Premium Member
Wow! Double wow! Your pictures are amazing! We've been to the world so many times, but it is like a different place looking at your pictures! And I thought my pictures were good!
The costumes were soo cute! Glad you had a great time!

Disneyfalcon

Actions>View EXIF Info should get you there. If not, that's a decent workaround.

I will warn you, though--looking at my EXIF data is like studying the scribblings of a deranged madman. What I do often goes against the grain of conventional "wisdom."

Yay, that works! Thank you! Sorry to hijack your trip report!

Conventional Schmuventional. It's obviously working.:)

This is a little off-topic, but I've always meant to ask you, Tom... why do you two always go to McDonalds for your pre-trip breakfast when there is a perfectly good Chick-Fil-A sitting in Avon? I think that some pictures of Chick-n-Minis would add large amounts of awesome to your reports.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
This is a little off-topic, but I've always meant to ask you, Tom... why do you two always go to McDonalds for your pre-trip breakfast when there is a perfectly good Chick-Fil-A sitting in Avon? I think that some pictures of Chick-n-Minis would add large amounts of awesome to your reports.

I'm not a big Chick-Fil-A fan, and we don't have the time to go anywhere that isn't in the airport since we're coming straight from work.

Sarah never goes to McDonald's. As I implied early in the trip report, she is a terrorist because of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom