The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

I had a terrible experience at Busch Gardens Tampa with large mobs of Brazilian Tour kids. Now, I know and respect that their culture is much different than ours, but some of the things they were doing and their energy levels seemed quite inappropriate and needed some employee enforcement. Nice to see they've gotten better at Disney, though. That's the one place I would never want a bad experience/day at.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well, obviously the group at WS over the July 4th holiday didn't get the message. As we approached England, a group of 15-20 of them came running at full speed from the little alley area, down the side walk in front of the shop and then into the street, screaming all the time. Folks couldn't move out of the way fast enough and my daughter was in a scooter since she torn the meniscus in her left knee the week before. Fortunately, none of them ran into her scooter (don't know which or who would have done more damage to that individual - the scooter or me/her fiancé when we beat the **** out of him/her). No chaperones or CMs in sight. And WS was crowded.

And we experienced similar behavior at Uni. And - this is where if either me or her fiancé had realized what was going on, one or both of us would need some bail money - as we were trying to get a non-functioning locker to reopen at MiB, one of the kids in the group standing behind her scooter pulled on the scooter to pull her out of his way (and I didn't think this was possible), pulled it over the tip of my shoe (fortunately missing my toes). As I'm trying to tell them as nicely as possible (they were mouthing off and pushing) that the lockers weren't working and someone had gone to find an employee. I mistakenly thought my daughter had backed over my toes - didn't realize some kid grabbed the back of the scooter seat and was pulling her back from the lockers.

So I'm done with these large groups of teenagers. I've tried to be polite. I've tried to be the "Welcome to the United States!" American. But pulling my daughter's scooter out of your way so you could get to your locker was the last straw. And if I'd realized that it was YOU who nearly smashed my foot and not my daughter inadvertently backing over my shoe, you'd be eating a knuckle sandwich at the very least. And I'd probably get a medal. :D

BJones82

Is it really that the Brazillion groups are rude and out of control, or they just don't know any better compared to our American standards (or our declining American standards)?

Just curious as I was reading about how different their culture is. Particularly how extroverted everyone is and how they don't consider much into personal space.

Most likely yes, their culture is extremely different when it comes to lines and public behavior. That being said when you go to a different country you should learn their customs and act as such, I try my best to do this but I am sure there are times I mess up too, I try to give foreign tourists the benefit of being ignorant in WDW but I also just avoid the months they tend to go there the most, my favorite time of the year is early fall :)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You won. Everybody normal person in the park lost. Well done.

giphy.gif

thomas998

I have not visited during the cheer competition and really only have experience with the international tour groups. Somethings are exaggerated and some things aren't. The biggest issue I have is that the tour groups don't break up into smaller groups, they travel together.

I'll admit it's lost on me. I'll have to google it.

I'll save you the googling... Keith Moon was a drummer with The Who that was notorious for his destruction of hotel rooms.

BuddyThomas

Aaaaaand that's why I'm going in September :geek:

I feel awful for those who have no recourse but to visit during the summer months, both for the crowds and the weather (which is only slightly less oppressive in late September).
I hate to be Debbie Downer but you are still going to be surrounded by these groups in September and it will be so hot and humid that you will feel like you are walking inside the sun.
:(

Last edited:

disnerd

I was there last week and the chanting was in full force. Every single time we saw a group they were chanting or being rude and loud.

mouse_luv

I hate to be Debbie Downer but you are still going to be surrounded by these groups in September and it will be so hot and humid that you will feel like you are walking inside the sun.
:(

We go in September and it is hot and humid but not like you are "walking inside the sun" it's not as bad as being there in June/July/August. It's a little better. Also, when are these groups there in Sept as we have never seen them there then. They are usually gone after mid-August and then back in like January.

PhotoDave219

So I just got back from an unexpected four-day trip in mid July and the south/central American tour groups were in full force, as usual, but something seemed different. Their behavior, uniformly, across all four days of our trip, was much, much better than I've seen in the past. No running, screaming, pushing, lying down in the walkways; nothing of the sort, and their chanting was kept to an absolute minimum. In fact, the only times I can recall hearing them chant was when a monitor was gathering his group outside of the Land, where his kids had a wide open area to rally up the kids without getting in anyone else's way, and prior to the show at Fantasmic, where they chanted and started the wave, which everyone in the very full stands joined in with, myself included.

More notably, the groups seemed to have a higher concentration of young adult "monitors" who were easily identified by their flags and garish outfits. I also noticed dozens of rather stern-looking cast members in the parks wearing different uniforms with little Brazilian flag pins. I thought perhaps that they were interpreters, but I didn't see any other such language-specific pins worn by other cast members, so I can only assume that they were there to act as a liaison between the professional monitors and the parks, should the need arise.

The only times I witnessed the kids causing a "problem" were when cast members simply didn't know how to accommodate such large groups. The first was at the load station at Test Track, where the loader was attempting to put a tour group of about 30 kids into the cars. The kids, naturally, wanted to sit in their own groups with their friends, but the cast member seemed to assume that everyone with the same T-shirt ought to be grouped into as few groups of 6 as possible, and their monitor seemed to be too busy translating to figure out the problem. The other time was at the boat dock at Port Orleans Riverside, where a tour group was gathering in the shade under the dock, but also in line for the boat back to the French Quarter. There were "normal" guests before and after the tour group, but as the boat itself was around the corner we couldn't see the dock itself. When a boat came to load for guests, the tour group wasn't ready to depart yet, but no one called to the back of the line for anyone to come forward, so the boat ended up leaving mostly-empty and a bunch of us had to quickly hike back to French Quarter to make our DME bus. In both cases, I'd chalk up the problems to miscommunication rather than behavior.

So I'm wondering; have the years of complaints from "normal" tourists and families caused Disney to begin having some stern talks with the companies that run these tour operations? I really did sense a kind of sea change this year, for the better.

Uh, All that has been normal SOP for a few years now. The days of the obnoxious South American tour groups are in the past and largely overblown.

I still say the American Cheerleaders/Marching Band/Dancers/Pop warner football groups are far, far, far more obnoxious and problematic.

BuddyThomas

We go in September and it is hot and humid but not like you are "walking inside the sun" it's not as bad as being there in June/July/August. It's a little better. Also, when are these groups there in Sept as we have never seen them there then. They are usually gone after mid-August and then back in like January.
That might be your experience, but when we went this year in June, it was gorgeous weather and very few tour groups. In September of 2013, it was a nightmare of high 90's heat and humidity and the groups were swarming all over the parks. So while it might be your personal experience that they are gone by mid August, that is not necessarily true. Maybe you just have gotten lucky.

mouse_luv

That might be your experience, but when we went this year in June, it was gorgeous weather and very few tour groups. In September of 2013, it was a nightmare of high 90's heat and humidity and the groups were swarming all over the parks. So while it might be your personal experience that they are gone by mid August, that is not necessarily true. Maybe you just have gotten lucky.

I saw them this June. I was there mid June, would see them and go the other way because have had less than happy run ins with them in the past.
And your advice to me can be taken for yourself as well. Just because you have had it happen/seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been that way for others.

BuddyThomas

I saw them this June. I was there mid June, would see them and go the other way because have had less than happy run ins with them in the past.
And your advice to me can be taken for yourself as well. Just because you have had it happen/seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been that way for others.
LOL - what is your point? Obviously that is the case.

brb1006

I encountered a group of Brazilian girls singing a foreign song while we we're waiting to return to All-Star Sports Resort after checking the Disney store in Downtown Disney. They all wore Minnie Mouse ears.

xoAli

I've never encountered any problems with tour groups. Some brazilians were staying in the Disney resort I was in and they were actually really nice and said 'good morning' to us and just started chatting with us when in an elevator before going for breakfast.

brb1006

So if you recall the giant July 3rd lightning storm that was getting covered in the news, I sat through the entire thing. However, some very nice off-duty CMs were seated next to me, several of whom worked at resorts. Being good at getting people to dish on things, as I tend to be, I got them on the topic of tour groups....

The resorts CMs I spoke to said that the tour groups were required to put down a $1 million, yes, million, deposit to be able to book rooms on property any longer. Apparently, the damage to the resorts over the past couple of years was pretty substantial.

If that is definitely the case, then it's no wonder they're sitting people down before they book the trip to discuss behavior.
What happened in July 3rd? Was there a discussion about that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom