The Brazilian tour groups: is Disney taking action?

Ulysses McGill

So if you recall the giant July 3rd lightning storm that was getting covered in the news, I sat through the entire thing. However, some very nice off-duty CMs were seated next to me, several of whom worked at resorts. Being good at getting people to dish on things, as I tend to be, I got them on the topic of tour groups....

The resorts CMs I spoke to said that the tour groups were required to put down a $1 million, yes, million, deposit to be able to book rooms on property any longer. Apparently, the damage to the resorts over the past couple of years was pretty substantial.

If that is definitely the case, then it's no wonder they're sitting people down before they book the trip to discuss behavior.

Jahona

The resorts CMs I spoke to said that the tour groups were required to put down a $1 million, yes, million, deposit to be able to book rooms on property any longer. Apparently, the damage to the resorts over the past couple of years was pretty substantial.

I feel like that number might be a bit exaggerated. It's more likely they have to show proof of a 1 million dollar accidental damages insurance policy.

thomas998

Is it really that the Brazillion groups are rude and out of control, or they just don't know any better compared to our American standards (or our declining American standards)?

Just curious as I was reading about how different their culture is. Particularly how extroverted everyone is and how they don't consider much into personal space.

It is really blown out of proportion by some people on the boards that are xenophobic. I've experienced the Brazilian tour groups and also experienced the Pop Warner crowds as well as some of the grad nights... To be honest in every instance you had kids acting like kids. Do some in the Brazilian group chant in portuguese? Yes, but then some groups of American cheerleaders or band kids will also chant... only difference is the xenophobic folks don't understand portuguese so they assume it must be stopped while they simply ignore the American cheerleaders chanting something that is equally annoying.

Mystic

When I was there over July 4th I noticed a number of Disney cast members wearing Brazilian shirts (green polo shirts with the Brazilian flag on them) along with their name tags walking the parks. I think they are patrolling for the tour groups to make sure they follow the rules. We didn't have any issues with the tour groups.

thomas998

I feel like that number might be a bit exaggerated. It's more likely they have to show proof of a 1 million dollar accidental damages insurance policy.
yep... which isn't really that big a deal.... I suspect the only reason they don't require your Pop Warners and other American groups to have such a thing is that they are all in America and easily within reach of the Disney lawyers if little Bill or Beth decide to play Keith Moon in a hotel room.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

It is really blown out of proportion by some people on the boards that are xenophobic. I've experienced the Brazilian tour groups and also experienced the Pop Warner crowds as well as some of the grad nights... To be honest in every instance you had kids acting like kids. Do some in the Brazilian group chant in portuguese? Yes, but then some groups of American cheerleaders or band kids will also chant... only difference is the xenophobic folks don't understand portuguese so they assume it must be stopped while they simply ignore the American cheerleaders chanting something that is equally annoying.

Xenophobia doesn't enter into it. I don't mean to start up this whole argument again, because these threads tend to go south really fast, but it's silly to tell people they can't be upset at the Brazilian tour groups. They are notorious among regular guests and CMs alike as some of the most rude and rambunctious guests. I can totally understand that most of them do not understand our culture and that is why I believe it is a wonderful thing that Disney seems to be stepping in (much like a tour guide would do for a loud and rambunctious American guest in Japan).

We might sometimes get a bit silly in our distaste, but I don't think xenophobia comes anywhere near explaining why Brazilian tour groups are universally despised.

Jahona

yep... which isn't really that big a deal.... I suspect the only reason they don't require your Pop Warners and other American groups to have such a thing is that they are all in America and easily within reach of the Disney lawyers if little Bill or Beth decide to play Keith Moon in a hotel room.

I have not visited during the cheer competition and really only have experience with the international tour groups. Somethings are exaggerated and some things aren't. The biggest issue I have is that the tour groups don't break up into smaller groups, they travel together.

Reference lost on anyone under 45.

I'll admit it's lost on me. I'll have to google it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have not visited during the cheer competition and really only have experience with the international tour groups. Somethings are exaggerated and some things aren't. The biggest issue I have is that the tour groups don't break up into smaller groups, they travel together.
I have been there with all three groups (Brazilian, Cheer and Pop Warner) on multiple occasions, and I would have to give the crown for worst guest to the Brazilian tour groups.

Mob mentality tends to kick in when ever you have a large group. Couple that with significant cultural differences of acceptable conduct in public and you have a perfect storm of annoyance.

rsoxguy

Next group to chant in my ear I will follow to their hotel room, where I will 'win' the 'loudest most obnoxious' contest with chainsaws and ship horns near their bedroom windows at 4am.

Odd perhaps, but me and my family do not require a group chanting in our ears to do this. For us, bringing along the chainsaws and ship horns while stalking other guests in the middle of the night is just a part of the vacation fun and merriment.

ULPO46

The cast members with Brazilian pins have been there for a long time. These are usually Brazillian Americans or foreign exchange students whom help as extra translators ad regular CM's whom help give directions in Portuguese. Most CM's who speak multiple tongues will have a name tag with the different languages they speak. Sometimes they may wear pins of the national flags that speak the tongues. honestly I have no issue from the brazillians, complaining about them is a tad bit Xenophobic. They represent a nice income during the summer months for both Disney and Universal. Plus it's one of the fastest growing economies in the world as well as a leader in MercoSur.

Mystic

The cast members with Brazilian pins have been there for a long time. These are usually Brazillian Americans or foreign exchange students whom help as extra translators ad regular CM's whom help give directions in Portuguese. Most CM's who speak multiple tongues will have a name tag with the different languages they speak. Sometimes they may wear pins of the national flags that speak the tongues. honestly I have no issue from the brazillians, complaining about them is a tad bit Xenophobic. They represent a nice income during the summer months for both Disney and Universal. Plus it's one of the fastest growing economies in the world as well as a leader in MercoSur.

These Cast Members are not just wearing a "Brazil" pin on their lanyards. These cast members that are roaming the parks look somewhat like walking Brazilian Flags. They wear green shirts with the Brazilian flag embroidered on them. This is their "costume". They are there monitoring the tour groups. I saw a number of them in both MK and Epcot.

HolleBolleGijs

These Cast Members are not just wearing a "Brazil" pin on their lanyards. These cast members that are roaming the parks look somewhat like walking Brazilian Flags. They wear green shirts with the Brazilian flag embroidered on them. This is their "costume". They are there monitoring the tour groups. I saw a number of them in both MK and Epcot.

They are not new. I saw them two years ago over July 4th.

ULPO46

Thanks. Apologies as I have not read any official statements on the Corporate website or any of the local news agencies. I could have sworn seeing these uniforms circa 2007 with a few cast members

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom