The American Adventure closing for refurbishment

JustInTime

I would but this trip is mainly to see friends. Our 3 times a year trips are being reduced to 1 and instead of 6 nights, it's going to be 4 nights. It's not zero but it's a noticeable reduction in trips. The parks have gotten way less of my money in the past 2 years too.

Should have Grand Canyon and Dollywood next year hopefully. Potentially Cedar Point if I can round up the group for it.
Definitely. Dollywood is a cute little
Coaster park with great cinnamon bread. We are a little over an hour away and get yearly season passes.

Last edited:

tcool123

It’s always had some diversity, Chief Joseph and Frederick Douglas have a major part.
Two examples versus the rest being caucasian, and I’ll concede that they’re some very important roles and I’m glad they’re there. However the USA has more than just one of each of those minorities as an example and it also has Hispanics, Asians, LGBTQIA+ people, and more that helped shape modern America. I don’t expect them to show the animatronic portion of the show anytime soon, but updating the montage to show more people from those communities that are prominent Americans rather it be pushing us to be a greater country via innovation or being figures in pop culture would be welcome.

I think the only person from those three groups I mentioned was Marylin Monroe, who famously had to downplay being latina to the point many dont know her heritage. If I’m wrong let me know.

Tha Realest

Two examples versus the rest being caucasian, and I’ll concede that they’re some very important roles and I’m glad they’re there. However the USA has more than just one of each of those minorities as an example and it also has Hispanics, Asians, LGBTQIA+ people, and more that helped shape modern America. I don’t expect them to show the animatronic portion of the show anytime soon, but updating the montage to show more people from those communities that are prominent Americans rather it be pushing us to be a greater country via innovation or being figures in pop culture would be welcome.

???

Cesar Chavez, Michelle Kwan, Yo-Yo Ma, Sally Ride, and Billie Jean King are all shown in the montage.

Epcot82Guy

I've always had a different take on the show. While I agree, the show (in a Disney way) tries to actually make that very point. The white men are telling their story. And telling the story of the black experience. Then it culminates with the really powerful scene with Chief Jospeh calling out just that. There's no doubt some diversity in the civil war and WWII scenes would be more inclusive (and easily done if an AA's outer skin needed replacement). But I actually think inclusion and self reflection is a key part of the AA story.

And yes. Coming from a person who ticks a couple of the boxes you mentioned myself.

tcool123

???

Cesar Chavez, Michelle Kwan, Yo-Yo Ma, Sally Ride, and Billie Jean King are all shown in the montage.
Like I said I missed them, its been a while since I last saw the montage and with so many faces can only remember a few at a time. Thank you for the correction :)

JoeCamel

I think the only person from those three groups I mentioned was Marylin Monroe, who famously had to downplay being latina to the point many dont know her heritage. If I’m wrong let me know.
MM latina? Only the barest of connections, I'm related to royalty and Nelson Rockefeller by those standards. In any case it is the fame not the person being displayed.

tcool123

MM latina? Only the barest of connections. I'm related to royalty and nelson Rockefeller by those standards. In any case it is the fame not the person being displayed.
That was my point it wasn’t a good connection 😅

But as @EPCOT-O.G. pointed out there were people I had missed and that I had not remembered their appearance. So y’all continue speculating over the refurbishment of AA.

TheMaxRebo

Definitely. Dollywood is a cute little
Coaster park with great cinnamon bread. We are a little over an hour away and get healthy season passes.

We went to Dollywood for the first time a few weeks ago. Very nice park, well kept, some great coasters (and some others that really rattle your head around), nice kids area ...

But to me I don't see how it gets voted #1 Theme Park int he country, didn't hold a candle to a Disney park or even Islands of Adventure. I'd put Busch Gardens Williamsburg above it too

JustInTime

We went to Dollywood for the first time a few weeks ago. Very nice park, well kept, some great coasters (and some others that really rattle your head around), nice kids area ...

But to me I don't see how it gets voted #1 Theme Park int he country, didn't hold a candle to a Disney park or even Islands of Adventure. I'd put Busch Gardens Williamsburg above it too
I fully agree! It’s charming and decent but definitely not the best.

Touchdown

I see no reason why a Rosie or Gas Station gossiper couldn’t be reskinned to a minority with no issues. Other then that though, you would need a major script revision.

OvertheHorizon

I have always loved The American Adventure, and I've appreciate updates made to the "Golden Dream" film that ends the show. When EPCOT opened in 1982, the last "historic" element depicted via set piece and animatronic figures was a WW II battleship under repair. Those events are now nearly 80 years in the rearview mirror. It's time to make the AA portion of the show more relevant to a contemporary audience. There have been lots of advances in science, medicine, and communications since WW II that could be part of an exciting update.

aladdin2007

anyone here actually think this is going to reopen at all? It doesnt sound very promising since no details or dates were given.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom