Pre-Trip The "After The Last 8 Months We've Had, We NEED This Trip" Pre-Trip Report

Hi everyone! We decided today we needed a trip to Disney and booked this afternoon! After following along (borderline stalking maybe?) all of the trip reports on this forum, I've decided I'm going to give this a whirl....wish me luck! Let's do the "Who's Going"!
STUDIO_HBKEYSTO_20160928_7815380852.jpeg

My husband (George) and myself (Megan) on our most recent trip in September 2016!
My grandmother (a Disney lover who tells people she is Mickey's cousin) sparked my love and obsession with the most magical place on earth when I was 6 years old! (Eeeek...25 years ago!) That first trip sealed the deal and I was hooked on the magic. We went numerous times through my childhood including three dance trips...fun fact: I've danced in the Magic Kingdom twice before they moved the stage to DS. My husband isn't as obssesed but enjoys going. I'm not sure when his first trip was and I'm sure if I asked I would get his usual answer "I have a terrible memory and can't remember most things before I was 18." :banghead: I am a temporarily retired elementary teacher (you'll meet the reason for my retirement soon) and George is a coal miner. We live about 20 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, PA. We have been to Disney 5 times together (July 2009, August 2013, October 2014, November 2015, and September 2016) and our next guest is our favorite souvenir from our 2016 trip....

thumb_IMG_8422_1024.jpg

Meet Princess Ryleigh! (aka the reason for my retirement!) She was born into this Disney loving family in June 2017! And she's already a lover of all things Disney! She LIGHTS UP at the sight of the opening of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! If you follow my Instagram, we achieve most of her smiles in photos by playing the theme on loop from youtube. (Shhh....don't tell anyone our secret!) My baby shower was Minnie themed and her nursery is Disney princesses. She made her first trip to the Disney store at less than a month old.
thumb_IMG_7400_1024.jpg

And she already has a set of Mickey ears!
thumb_IMG_8884_1024.jpg

I am so excited to get to share the magic of WDW with her! I've been waiting for this since we found out I was pregnant! And I'm not sure what the limit is on posts so I'll continue on in the next one!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
When: October 19th through October 22nd
We're doing a long weekend with most of our time spent at MK. My husband for years was a very firm "we're not taking our child until they're ATLEAST 8". When we found out we were pregnant, he turned into "We'll take a break for a few years and do her first big trip in December 2021 for the 50th anniversary". (If you're not good at math, that'll make Ryleigh 4 not 8! :eek:) When Daddy's little girl first fell in love with the sight of Mickey, he turned into "We need to take her this year for a long weekend!! She needs to meet Mickey!!" (If you're still not good at math, that'll make her 1 year and 4 months...def not 8!) We're not making any dining reservations because I want it to be laid back and just enjoying being there as a family for the first time.

Where: Pop Century - preferred pool view
We stayed here in November 2015 and really enjoyed it. I grew up staying at the values so they have a nostalgic feel for me.

Why: Well that's a lengthy one...
We may have decided we were going/booked today but the idea of taking Ryleigh for a long weekend has been one we've been talking about for almost 10 months. Our trip was originally supposed to be in December of this year. We booked for the first weekend in December at the Contemporary. My mom and grandma were going because how could they miss Ryleigh's first trip? I always had a funny feeling about the trip and never fully got excited. I couldn't figure out why and then March 7th happened. My mom had a massive stroke while at work and was in a medically induced coma for about 3 weeks. For the first week, we had nurses telling my sister and I that "they try not to get their hopes up with these types of patients". Thankfully, she fought like a place I cannot type on this forum and she's still here with us today. She's still struggling with her memory and some other things but she's getting stronger everyday. I knew that the December trip just wasn't in the cards for all of us and I tearfully canceled our trip a couple weeks ago. I know she'll get there with us one day soon though!

Fast forward to this afternoon...
My husband and I were talking about what to get each other for our anniversary (June 26th). He looked at me and said "I'd like to take you to Disney. We've been through a lot in these past few months and I feel like its something we need to do." :inlove: He brought the calendar in and we picked a weekend in October that would be ideal with his shifts. I checked flights and they were very reasonable. We checked hotel prices and again, reasonable. My sister is available to babysit our zoo (two dogs and two cats) and she assured me that despite everything going on that it was okay to go. And I actually started to feel some excitement that I was going to go to Disney. So here I sit typing this pre-trip report! I was just telling @blgauger the other day that I wish I could talk George into going for our anniversary and here I am getting a trip as a present! Maybe I'll even get a @Tuvalu sighting! (I checked for our December trip and she wasn't going to be there! haha)

LisaBelle

When: October 19th through October 22nd
We're doing a long weekend with most of our time spent at MK. My husband for years was a very firm "we're not taking our child until they're ATLEAST 8". When we found out we were pregnant, he turned into "We'll take a break for a few years and do her first big trip in December 2021 for the 50th anniversary". (If you're not good at math, that'll make Ryleigh 4 not 8! :eek:) When Daddy's little girl first fell in love with the sight of Mickey, he turned into "We need to take her this year for a long weekend!! She needs to meet Mickey!!" (If you're still not good at math, that'll make her 1 year and 4 months...def not 8!) We're not making any dining reservations because I want it to be laid back and just enjoying being there as a family for the first time.

Where: Pop Century - preferred pool view
We stayed here in November 2015 and really enjoyed it. I grew up staying at the values so they have a nostalgic feel for me.

Why: Well that's a lengthy one...
We may have decided we were going/booked today but the idea of taking Ryleigh for a long weekend has been one we've been talking about for almost 10 months. Our trip was originally supposed to be in December of this year. We booked for the first weekend in December at the Contemporary. My mom and grandma were going because how could they miss Ryleigh's first trip? I always had a funny feeling about the trip and never fully got excited. I couldn't figure out why and then March 7th happened. My mom had a massive stroke while at work and was in a medically induced coma for about 3 weeks. For the first week, we had nurses telling my sister and I that "they try not to get their hopes up with these types of patients". Thankfully, she fought like a place I cannot type on this forum and she's still here with us today. She's still struggling with her memory and some other things but she's getting stronger everyday. I knew that the December trip just wasn't in the cards for all of us and I tearfully canceled our trip a couple weeks ago. I know she'll get there with us one day soon though!

Fast forward to this afternoon...
My husband and I were talking about what to get each other for our anniversary (June 26th). He looked at me and said "I'd like to take you to Disney. We've been through a lot in these past few months and I feel like its something we need to do." :inlove: He brought the calendar in and we picked a weekend in October that would be ideal with his shifts. I checked flights and they were very reasonable. We checked hotel prices and again, reasonable. My sister is available to babysit our zoo (two dogs and two cats) and she assured me that despite everything going on that it was okay to go. And I actually started to feel some excitement that I was going to go to Disney. So here I sit typing this pre-trip report! I was just telling @blgauger the other day that I wish I could talk George into going for our anniversary and here I am getting a trip as a present! Maybe I'll even get a @Tuvalu sighting! (I checked for our December trip and she wasn't going to be there! haha)
First of all, Ryleigh is precious! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading about how your husband told you he wanted to take you to Disney for your anniversary! So sweet! I hope things continue to improve for your mom. I will be following! So happy you decided to do a TR!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
114 days to go!!!

Yesterday was our actual anniversary...8 years! 😱 And I’d say he did pretty good in the present department....
3B25AB41-E8E7-4365-870C-235E9C0F7191.jpeg

We’ve also made two reservations since I last posted! (Inspired by other trip reports of course!)

Since the trip was spontaneous, we missed the 180 day window which meant we would have to miss one of our faves....lunch at Be Our Guest. 😔 And as I’ve commented in @Tuvalu many posts, our last meal there in 2016 was subpar so I need some redemption. When I broke the news to my husband that there were no reservations left, he was prob more heartbroken than me! Enter one of @blgauger recent posts about finding a last minute reservation for one. My husband and I each have a reservation....one at 12:10 and one at 12:20. I figured it would work for lunch because you seat yourself. Has anyone done this and had success? Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Our second reservation was inspired by a @dryerlintfan trip report. We booked the HEA dessert party with plaza garden viewing. She pointed out it was much easier and less stressful to keep track of a smaller child in the confined area rather than out with the chaotic masses of people. Plus, I have not seen HEA yet (a skeptical member of Team Wishes 😒) so it should give us a pretty decent view without the stress. And even though I’m a picky eater, I do love dessert!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Hi everyone! We’ve officially hit double digits....99 days to go! Since my last post...

Princess Ryleigh turned one!!! 😍😢
4BBFC33E-934F-4540-AD52-420D8D5B795B.jpeg
E5D68F84-DEDF-42DC-B544-60037FB1FE19.jpeg

And she had her birthday party....outside....on the hottest day in the history of all hot days....not kidding, it was hotter up here than in Disney!!!
9BD01AA7-1445-4F87-BD92-55BA8EECE14D.jpeg

As far as things that have happened that pertain to our actual trip...I have discovered that there is a forum dedicated strictly to traveling to WDW with kids...who knew? 🤷🏻‍♀️ #thingsyoulearnwhenyoufinallyhavekids My inner obsessive planner wants to start making lists EXCEPT I have no idea where to begin because kids change so much in such a short amount of time that it seems kind of pointless to start now. I’ve started stalking all shirts that are Disney on Etsy because are you even a real family if you don’t match at Disney??? (Can’t order til closer to the trip though because these tiny humans like to grow for some reason?) This led me to realize that she might have outgrown her current shorts by the end of October (duh) and I feel the odds of finding shorts that time of year are very slim. So my Kohl’s shopping cart is filled with shorts in the next size so I can order them tomorrow when my coupon starts!

We’ve also been going back and forth on the sleeping situation. I read that Disney’s cribs are Graco pack n plays. Nothing wrong with them but I don’t know if she will be comfy on the harder surface for 3 nights. #firstworldbabyprobs So then I started looking into renting a full size crib from A Baby's Best Friend. They seem like a reputable company and she would be comfier. Then I thought I could just order a mattress from amazon and have it sent to the hotel then just leave it there buuuuut I learned in the kids forums that Disney keeps those kind of items in separate storage places and it can be a hassle. So back to renting the crib. Then I found on amazon a tri-fold mattress for the pack n play that should fit into one of our checked bags. We are flying southwest so we should have room in 4 suitscases 🤞🏻 So that’s where we are on that one. If anyone has any experience with any of these things, feel free to share with this first time Mom! 🙋🏻‍♀️

We get to make our fastpasses next month (eeeep! Next month!) so I will prob be back before then for some advice!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
That is a little cutie you have there! I hope you guys have a wonderful trip.

Thank you!!

Wow, seems like you guys definitely deserve a trip!! So excited for you all and what a great new addition to bring along :joyfull:

I am super excited to take her...we’ve been talking about it since we found out we were expecting!

First of all, Ryleigh is precious! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading about how your husband told you he wanted to take you to Disney for your anniversary! So sweet! I hope things continue to improve for your mom. I will be following! So happy you decided to do a TR!

Thank you so much...I’m a little partial but I think so too! I may have had some tears when he brought it up 😭😭 He’s def a keeper!

Ryleigh is a doll! So happy you still get to go this year. I have no plans to visit the world in October, but you never know!

Thank you!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Yes having two “single” BOG ADRs will work perfectly fine....😉😊

You won’t regret the HEA dessert party with Plaza Garden viewing! A highlight of last week’s trip!!
Yay! So glad you got BOG reservations! You’ll be just fine having separate ones and sitting together. I’ve done it twice now with no issues. 😊

Yayy! So happy I don’t have to miss BOG! George is still feeling a little like we’re “cheating the system” but he’s already picking out what he’s going to order! 😂 I cannot wait for the dessert party. I’ve read a lot of trip reports that HEA has won the hearts of Wishes fans so let’s hope! Maybe I should wear my Farewell Wishes shirt 😏

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Heyy....me again! A version of vacation creep has set in and we're getting the itch to maybe switch to a MK area resort for convenience. I'm currently "chatting" with Vonda, Minnie Mouse's secretary on the WDW site. (I use chatting loosely because her responses almost seem automated...not really getting much "help") So I decided to bring my question to the experts...

It is showing up that there is no availability in some hotels and only one or two rooms types at others for our dates. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is there an event going on? Is this normal because we booked last minute? Am I just meant to stay at Pop Century???

PS - 92 days!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Welp....91 Days! I’m gonna start this one with a backstory then some news!

I took my first trip in April 1993. We stayed at the Contemporary with a theme park view (my grandma wanted the experience from the 90's commercial where they opened th curtain and the castle was right there). This was the trip I fell in love with Disney World. As a child whose 3rd favorite Disney movie is Mary Poppins (1st and 2nd are Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast), we naturally had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. Upon entering the GF lobby for the first time, my little 6 year old self had her breath taken away and it was love at first sight! 😍 Now in all my trips since I’ve stayed at many hotels....many times at All-Star Music and Movies (my family felt those were more kid friendly), The Contemporary (again), The Yacht Club (LOVE!), The Caribbean Beach (way tooooo big...I got lost walking back to our room EVERY TIME that week!!), Pop Century (LOVE that tye-dyed cheesecake!), and AKL Kidani Village (2 bedroom villa with a savannah view 😍). You’ll notice out of all of these trips the past 26 years that the GF is not in that list......

Until.....

922832C1-B50B-48CA-8913-951287D079B7.jpeg

Can’t...just can’t.... 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Nala06

We’ve also been going back and forth on the sleeping situation. I read that Disney’s cribs are Graco pack n plays. Nothing wrong with them but I don’t know if she will be comfy on the harder surface for 3 nights. #firstworldbabyprobs So then I started looking into renting a full size crib from A Baby's Best Friend. They seem like a reputable company and she would be comfier. Then I thought I could just order a mattress from amazon and have it sent to the hotel then just leave it there buuuuut I learned in the kids forums that Disney keeps those kind of items in separate storage places and it can be a hassle. So back to renting the crib. Then I found on amazon a tri-fold mattress for the pack n play that should fit into one of our checked bags. We are flying southwest so we should have room in 4 suitscases 🤞🏻 So that’s where we are on that one. If anyone has any experience with any of these things, feel free to share with this first time Mom! 🙋🏻‍♀️

I had planned on renting a crib from an outside company, but by the time I went to do it they were out. So, we used the pack n play through Disney for our trip last year with a 2.5 year old. Since he was older, I didn't have any qualms wrapping an extra blanket from the room around the "mattress" it comes with a few times to pad it up a bit. Of course with a younger child, this is totally up to your comfort level. My 2.5 year slept in the pack n play just fine every night for 10 nights! Bonus, the pack n play was small enough to stick into the spare bathroom area at the Poly, which I think helped more than the type of bed for getting him comfortable to sleep. He had his own dark, quiet area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom