Pre-Trip The "After The Last 8 Months We've Had, We NEED This Trip" Pre-Trip Report

Hi everyone! We decided today we needed a trip to Disney and booked this afternoon! After following along (borderline stalking maybe?) all of the trip reports on this forum, I've decided I'm going to give this a whirl....wish me luck! Let's do the "Who's Going"!
STUDIO_HBKEYSTO_20160928_7815380852.jpeg

My husband (George) and myself (Megan) on our most recent trip in September 2016!
My grandmother (a Disney lover who tells people she is Mickey's cousin) sparked my love and obsession with the most magical place on earth when I was 6 years old! (Eeeek...25 years ago!) That first trip sealed the deal and I was hooked on the magic. We went numerous times through my childhood including three dance trips...fun fact: I've danced in the Magic Kingdom twice before they moved the stage to DS. My husband isn't as obssesed but enjoys going. I'm not sure when his first trip was and I'm sure if I asked I would get his usual answer "I have a terrible memory and can't remember most things before I was 18." :banghead: I am a temporarily retired elementary teacher (you'll meet the reason for my retirement soon) and George is a coal miner. We live about 20 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, PA. We have been to Disney 5 times together (July 2009, August 2013, October 2014, November 2015, and September 2016) and our next guest is our favorite souvenir from our 2016 trip....

thumb_IMG_8422_1024.jpg

Meet Princess Ryleigh! (aka the reason for my retirement!) She was born into this Disney loving family in June 2017! And she's already a lover of all things Disney! She LIGHTS UP at the sight of the opening of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! If you follow my Instagram, we achieve most of her smiles in photos by playing the theme on loop from youtube. (Shhh....don't tell anyone our secret!) My baby shower was Minnie themed and her nursery is Disney princesses. She made her first trip to the Disney store at less than a month old.
thumb_IMG_7400_1024.jpg

And she already has a set of Mickey ears!
thumb_IMG_8884_1024.jpg

I am so excited to get to share the magic of WDW with her! I've been waiting for this since we found out I was pregnant! And I'm not sure what the limit is on posts so I'll continue on in the next one!

James J

In the Parks
No
Since the trip was spontaneous, we missed the 180 day window which meant we would have to miss one of our faves....lunch at Be Our Guest. 😔 And as I’ve commented in @Tuvalu many posts, our last meal there in 2016 was subpar so I need some redemption. When I broke the news to my husband that there were no reservations left, he was prob more heartbroken than me! Enter one of @blgauger recent posts about finding a last minute reservation for one. My husband and I each have a reservation....one at 12:10 and one at 12:20. I figured it would work for lunch because you seat yourself. Has anyone done this and had success? Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

So glad I checked in to your report as me and my GF had breakfast booked at Be Our Guest in October when we really wanted lunch - just went onto MDE and we've managed to get individual lunch reservations 10 minutes apart! Thanks to all who have mentioned it as I'd never have thought to try!

MegRuss626

Original Poster

MegRuss626

Original Poster
70 days!!!! (Which means 10 more days until FASTPASSES!) That's the one perk to booking a last minute trip - your countdown isn’t very high!

So I was reading other TR and I realized I haven’t done the “Here's our plans...” portion of our trip yet sooooooooo without further ado (because I know you all are waiting on pins and needles)......

Here’s our plans!

Friday, October 22nd
My husband finishes up midnight shift this morning so Ryleigh and I will be ready and waiting so we can leave as soon as he gets home around 9. (Side note-I never realized how easy we had it with airports until I started reading other trip reports about how far people have to travel. Pittsburgh Airport is 20ish minutes from our house.) Hopefully TSA will go smoothly for us first time parents 🤞🏻 Then the plan is to run Ryleigh around as much as her parents can handle so she will hopefully be interested in sitting on the flight! 🤞🏻🤞🏻Our flight takes off around 1 which puts us at MCO a little after 3. Then we'll hop on the Magical Express to take us to the GRAND FLORIDIAN! 🤣

Our evening plans have bounced back and forth a bit but I think we’re still sticking with our original plans - swimming, eating dinner at the GF quick service, and relaxing at the hotel. We tossed around going to a MNSSHP but I’m not keeping Ryleigh out until midnight and with our flight time, I don’t think we would spend much time in the park to justify the spending. Then we thought about dinner at 1900 Park Fare or Chef Mickey’s but totally missed the 180 deadline so no reasonable reservation times (9pm for dinner with a one year old....PASS!). I’ve been checking for openings but no luck yet. And despite my dislike for the new section of DS, I’m also keeping an eye out for a Homecomin' reservation because all of these TRs make me want to drink the fried chicken koolaid! But my only option for that so far is 5 and I feel that’s cutting it too close.

Saturday, October 20th - Ryleigh’s First Time in the Magic Kingdom 😄
The plan is to wake up and have a small breakfast....maybe split a cinnamon loaf (that’s what I call them) from Gaston's. We have our “cheating the system” lunch reservations at BOG 😂 One for 12:10 and one for 12:20. Then we'll hang out as much as Ryleigh can handle. She usually has no problem napping in her stroller but we'll play it by ear. Dinner will prob be a light quick service because we have the HEA Dessert Party this evening. I’d like to meet the Fab 5 at some point throughout the day too.

I’m not totally sure what Fastpasses I’ll try and get yet...this is my first time planning around a toddler. I’m thinking Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and Jungle Cruise. Dumbo has the playground if there’s a wait - Mermaid USUALLY doesn’t have too bad of a wait - same with Small World. Maybe swap JC for Buzz? I guess I have 10 days to decide.

Sunday, October 21st - More Magic Kingdom And TOY STORY LAND
We'll prob do breakfast at the GF quick service because Mickey waffles. Then we'll hop over to MK with no fastpasses because I’m hoping to save them for later. Same as before, we'll explore to Ryleigh’s schedule. Then early evening we’re going to head to MGM (#notmyHollywoodStudios) so we can see Toy Story Land. I’m HOPING to get fastpass for SDD and George and I can rider swap it. But with a short trip, you never know. Also, I read that Vampirina will start doing a M&G the end of September and we love that blue little vampire in this house! In 2016, we missed the Star Wars fireworks and they’re supposed to be going on this night. So, as long as Ryleigh doesn’t hate fireworks from the night before, we’re hoping to stay and see them.

Monday, October 22nd - Time to go home already 😭😭😭😭😭
Our flight leaves a little after 2 so we'll spend the morning packing and hanging out at the hotel until the Tragical Express arrives. 👎🏻 And just like that, our short trip is over and I’m already super sad about it!

So that’s where we’re at! I’ve been doing lots of Etsy shopping so maybe I’ll post all of my purchases one day! (You know you can’t go another day of your life without seeing them right???) Since this post was super text-y, I’ll close with a picture of Ryleigh from today snuggling Bingo and Rolly! (We love Puppy Dog Pals too....life with a one year old who loves DisneyJr!)
2A67070D-65C6-478B-9EFB-B814553BBC5F.jpeg

MegRuss626

Original Poster
We are going to be at Disney around the same dates just a little longer. Oct 19-25. We get in pretty late fri night. Have fun maybe I will see you around.

How fun! I wish mine was a bit longer too but just not in the cards for us this year...just happy to be able to go! Hope you have a magical trip and if you see us, def say hello!!

MegRuss626

Original Poster
61 days to go which means less than 12 hours until it’s FASTPASS TIME!!! 😱🤞🏻😱🤞🏻😱🤞🏻😱 Pray to those SDD gods that they take pity on our short trip and have saved a fastpass for us!

I have made a certain husband of mine VERY happy by snagging a 1900 Park Fare reservation for our first evening! I randomly decided to check the app since I had been checking the website all this time, aaaaaand there it was! It’s a half hour later than we would have liked but we'll take it! And naturally I ordered matching Cinderella shirts for Ryleigh and myself! 💁🏻‍♀️

DRD

Following along...

Have you looked into renting a stroller yet or were you planning on taking your own? We rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals and found them to be very easy to use (and better than the one we were planning on bringing). They had it there at the resort when we checked in and we just dropped it off at the front desk when we left. I'd recommend thinking about it at least.

Might be worth considering adding as an expense when considering all the hassle of getting through airport security with one and/or possible extra baggage fees if you check it.

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Seems we have different parks while you are there......

20-10 Epcot
21-10 AK
22-10 HS

But who knows :)

Eh, ya never know! It’s a small world right?

This may have changed, but I remember when my kids were little, a lot of the little kid things at MGM (like the M&G and Disney Jr stuff) ended around 5. If you don't head over there until early evening it may be too late.

I seem to remember that too now that you mention it! Thanks for the heads up!

Following along...

Have you looked into renting a stroller yet or were you planning on taking your own? We rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals and found them to be very easy to use (and better than the one we were planning on bringing). They had it there at the resort when we checked in and we just dropped it off at the front desk when we left. I'd recommend thinking about it at least.

Might be worth considering adding as an expense when considering all the hassle of getting through airport security with one and/or possible extra baggage fees if you check it.

My SIL rented one for my nephew on our trip in 2016 but we figure since we’re only doing two days in the parks, we’ll just take our own this time around. Going through security has my anxious rule follower self worried but that’s because I’ve never done TSA with a toddler. And we can check it at the gate for free so we’re good there! 👍🏻

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Hey strangers! Been a little bit since I posted and our trip is quickly approaching! Three weeks from now, we’ll be relaxing before our first day in the parks!!!! 😱

Last time I posted, it was FastPass go time! Sadly, no SDD but what can ya do! 🤷🏻‍♀️ I also randomly managed to find a Chef Mickey’s reservation for our arrival night. We love 1900 but we feel Ryleigh will enjoy meeting the Fab 5 more and the time was a little better for us. So I canceled Ryleigh’s Cinderella shirt and have now ordered her a different shirt for our dinner. Priorities! 💁🏻‍♀️ Also, these came Monday....
C11304CC-D3CE-449B-A8E4-EEF28DF43844.jpeg

Orange for Halloween time! Thanks to a @sheriffwoody instagram post, I ordered George and I magic band sliders from Etsy so we can wear the pucks on our Apple Watch (me) and Fitbit (him) as opposed to wearing both at the same time. I also made these so we can find our stroller in the endless sea of strollers...we are newbies after all!
4AA5E24C-BAE4-422D-8D7D-9C1C8CB404B4.jpeg

I couldn’t decide between the two designs so I just made them both!

sheriffwoody

Thanks to a @sheriffwoody instagram post, I ordered George and I magic band sliders from Etsy so we can wear the pucks on our Apple Watch (me) and Fitbit (him) as opposed to wearing both at the same time.
You will LOVE the slider thing. As much as I love the magic bands and all the cute designs, it is so nice to just be able to slip the puck on my watch. Hopefully yours will be better than the first couple I got, which I had to break to get off after the trip :hilarious: Thankfully they were cheap, so I felt like I got plenty of use for the money.

MegRuss626

Original Poster
5 days!!! 😱😱😱😱😱

And our shirts came in yesterday! Ryleigh is set for dinner on the first night and her two days in the parks! (Still waiting on her flight down shirt...mainly because I ordered a decal to iron on rather than just ordering the already made shirt like these three. And I’m a procrastinator extraordinaire sooooo I just haven’t done it yet 🤦🏻‍♀️)
1922FA7C-59BC-40F0-9B1B-64205956AF81.jpeg

And a weather update.....still toying with my emotions. One minute it’s gonna pour the whole time then it’s gonna be sunny then it’s gonna rain again! I’ve decided these metrologists just don’t know and they’re makin it up as they go along! 🙄 What can ya do though right?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Did you try getting SDD fast passes for one? You won’t be going together anyway so try getting separate times. Good luck and enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom