The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Sage of Time

That is not from a Disney survey, it was from a general tourism survey given by someone outside of the company. Disney would NEVER admit to projects in development like that, especially unannounced ones, in a survey so directly.
*whew*
I think Frozen is a reasonably strong bet for DLR, possibly in the motor boat lagoon area. The attraction would have to be unique to DLR though, and along the lines of what is being built at Tokyo DisneySea - no way that Frozenstrom from Epcot is going to be duplicated elsewhere.
How does everyone feel about using the area behind Big Thunder and the Magical Map theater as room for Frozen/Fantasyland expansion. Is that even possible?
Think it's possible to install Hatbox in two days? Mansion will be down on May 4th-5th.
Given that they've had walls up in the Mansion since January? Yeah, easily.

Skippy

The Disneyland refurbishment calendar has Haunted Mansion closed for more than two days now.

For those interested, the refurb schedule on the disneyland website is only available up until 5/6. (With HM closed 5/4-5/6) Not sure if there is better information for when HM will eventually reopen.

Speaking of Haunted Mansion, has it been confirmed that HMH will be there this year? And what dates do they usually close to begin the overlay?

Travel Junkie

Feh. Hope it doesn't happen. SWLand could be great, but not as a whole land in Disneyland that gobbles up a pretty unique and nice setting that has far more connections to Disney than SW ever will. Put SW in DCA...

It’s not ideal but I would prefer Star Wars in DCA as well. If they are going this big though there’s not really that kind of room in DCA unless they built a bridge across from Paradise Pier and went into that parking lot next to PPH. Then you would have to deal with noise concerns from residential housing immediately west of that plot. There are small bits of land in DCA for expansion but not a huge plot currently available to them.

I can see why they would look at Toon Town because there is all that backstage area that can be relocated or worked around. Heck they could even eventually move TDA off site and expead into there.

Sage of Time

It’s not ideal but I would prefer Star Wars in DCA as well. If they are going this big though there’s not really that kind of room in DCA unless they built a bridge across from Paradise Pier and went into that parking lot next to PPH. Then you would have to deal with noise concerns from residential housing immediately west of that plot. There are small bits of land in DCA for expansion but not a huge plot currently available to them.

I can see why they would look at Toon Town because there is all that backstage area that can be relocated or worked around. Heck they could even eventually move TDA off site and expead into there.
Heck, I say they knock out Bugsland and use that area of Star Wars. Tie it to the Studio at the gate, only, and just go from there.

GiveMeTheMusic

Heck, I say they knock out Bugsland and use that area of Star Wars. Tie it to the Studio at the gate, only, and just go from there.

Star Wars has zero connection to DCA thematically, so personally I would prefer it be in DL. TDA is already beginning to relocate backstage services behind Toontown off-site and that process will continue into the next year. The site has the potential to be huge - picture most of the Ranch area, wrapping around the Fantasyland Theater, taking out Toontown and other backstage buildings around/behind it. This project is huge, and they want to open it in 2019, so construction will need to begin in earnest well before the 60th is over in 2016.

Beyond that, DL needs new attractions. It's been 20 years since the last E Ticket there while DCA has sucked up almost every available dollar since. I like that Marvel will find a home at DCA for now, leaving DL without it. I'd be thrilled if we could get Star Wars and a new Frozen ride within the next 5 years at DL, but that's wishful thinking. No idea if there are any plans for Frozen.

Something has to be done with Tomorrowland too. How rad would it be if this all happened at the same time?

Star Wars looks like a done deal despite the internet's negative reaction. I fully expect an announcement at D23.

Sage of Time

Star Wars has zero connection to DCA thematically, so personally I would prefer it be in DL. TDA is already beginning to relocate backstage services behind Toontown off-site and that process will continue into the next year. The site has the potential to be huge - picture most of the Ranch area, wrapping around the Fantasyland Theater, taking out Toontown and other backstage buildings around/behind it. This project is huge, and they want to open it in 2019, so construction will need to begin in earnest well before the 60th is over in 2016.

Beyond that, DL needs new attractions. It's been 20 years since the last E Ticket there while DCA has sucked up almost every available dollar since. I like that Marvel will find a home at DCA for now, leaving DL without it. I'd be thrilled if we could get Star Wars and a new Frozen ride within the next 5 years at DL, but that's wishful thinking. No idea if there are any plans for Frozen.

Something has to be done with Tomorrowland too. How rad would it be if this all happened at the same time?

Star Wars looks like a done deal despite the internet's negative reaction. I fully expect an announcement at D23.
I just find it so awkward that DL would have a land dedicated to only ONE franchise. The other lands are mixes and combinations of other places and aesthetics and stories and then you have ONE land dedicated JUST to Star Wars? I dunno. Leave that sort of thing for DCA, despite it not really fitting there. Like Carsland.

Travel Junkie

It doesn’t really tie in with DL either so it isn’t a great fit either way. I prefer DL stay with broad themed lands with multiple properties per land. Also you then have 2 lands with space themes in the same park.

I wish they would flip flop them and put Star Wars in DCA and portions of Marvel that fit like Iron Man in Tommorrowland. That would give some love to TL and add Star Wars to DCA. I doubt they would take on TL, Star Wars and Marvel at DCA at the same time, which means TL will sit neglected for longer.

I understand why they doing it the way that appear they are going. If they want to go big with Star Wars that’s where they have the most land. It does appear from various inside sources they are really aiming to announce at D23. If they continue to move stuff backstage around they could even start construction backstage and not disrupt the 60th celebration.

GiveMeTheMusic

I just find it so awkward that DL would have a land dedicated to only ONE franchise. The other lands are mixes and combinations of other places and aesthetics and stories and then you have ONE land dedicated JUST to Star Wars? I dunno. Leave that sort of thing for DCA, despite it not really fitting there. Like Carsland.

It's already been done at HKDL and soon SDL with Toy Story Land - Harry Potter and Cars have proven to the industry that single IP lands are a huge hit with the public (if done well...I'm looking at you Toy Story Land). When it comes to an IP like Star Wars, guests will poop themselves over the chance to step into a dedicated immersive experience, just like they do for WWOHP and Cars Land. Disney knows Star Wars is their biggest ticket to a WWOHP experience right now, and they will exploit that for cash money without any shame, regardless of which park(s) they feel it fits into.

I agree that it departs from DL's original makeup, but I think that's inevitable at this point with how the industry has changed. If you think about it, Toontown was the first step in this direction, and ironically, it will be the piece of the park to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom