The “wealthy” is not going to work

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When the Boomers die off and Gen-X feels fully disenfranchised by the Mouse, WDW will then have to contend with cohorts which will trade brand loyalty for instant gratification and validation quicker than you can say Tinker Bell.
That’s what my instinct says too…
And I bet there are a lot of people working “in the industry” that privately think/talk about that as well. Just not while Bob is at the podium doing comedy.

I would say that the majority of Disneys pull is brand recognition and their long cultivated - intentionally - emotional tie to that…

So corner cutting will erode them longterm more than really any other business.

I’d invite anyone to come up with a more vulnerable target?

I am young side of gen x. The parks in orlando have great nostalgia for me. My three boys don't care and think the parks are too crowded. They openly prefer other than orlando park destinations for less wait times.

In that regard, disney is driving my kids away. They also think universal is simpler and more approachable.

I think that aligns well with your assertions. Cutting corners has not increased capacity at a rate to meet growing demand (my perception). I'd rather they raised the prices to lower attendance at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am young side of gen x. The parks in orlando have great nostalgia for me. My three boys don't care and think the parks are too crowded. They openly prefer other than orlando park destinations for less wait times.

In that regard, disney is driving my kids away. They also think universal is simpler and more approachable.

I think that aligns well with your assertions. Cutting corners has not increased capacity at a rate to meet growing demand (my perception). I'd rather they raised the prices to lower attendance at this point.
Unfortunately…the Xers time to rule the world has come…

- an Older Xer 😎

drizgirl

Cutting corners really hasn't been about meeting demand.

graphite1326

Disney is catering to the wealthy.

They don’t want the middle class.

They can upcharge all they want the wealthy will pay for it!

These are things I see here daily to explain away the fiscal policy of the mousetrap.

Now let’s use a liberal definition of the word “wealthy” as a household making 200k a year or more.

That puts us somewhere around 26 million households in the states. I’m aware that the Mouse gets overseas visitors, but they seriously expect 30% of the households to not only visit but repeat visit on a yearly basis?

Let’s not forgot the more $$$ people make the more they expect. When your used to the Four Seasons the Contemporary is going to seem lacking.

It’s often discussed here that Disney can’t fail. It’s impossible.

However the idea that the “wealthy” are going to carry this company is ridiculous.

It has to be the middle class.

What’s the long term game plan?

What happens if the recession does come?

I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts?
Well here is my theory. I am an artist. Once in college one of my professors told me "cater to the rich." I didn't listen to him of course and did some pcs that everyone could afford. They sold well. However it felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. It was hard work with little return. So I did some high priced pcs and added them to my shows. It's so much more rewarding selling just 1 pc and making twice the money.

MagicRat

Wow! Disney and Bruce Springsteen who knew I had such expensive tastes. Until AP’s come back and the reservation system improves we can spend the points on home stays and Bruce shame on you that one is far worse!

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately…the Xers time to rule the world has come…

- an Older Xer 😎
Your welcome to it. As a boomer I am bewildered by how those of us that sincerely wanted to make things better, to have love prevail instead of hatred have failed so spectacularly in what we thought was possible. I sincerely hope you folks do a better job than we did to make this a better world, but unfortunately greed is stronger the righteous intentions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your welcome to it. As a boomer I am bewildered by how those of us that sincerely wanted to make things better, to have love prevail instead of hatred have failed so spectacularly in what we thought was possible. I sincerely hope you folks do a better job than we did to make this a better world, but unfortunately greed is stronger the righteous intentions.
1. I totally agree with you
2. I never said having X in charge was a GOOD idea…far from it. It’s a mass of walking contradictions from the generation that SHOULD be able to figure it out from the two generations prior and the two following.
Should…but don’t.

Lilofan

If you have $2.5 million in equity and a $2.5 million mortgage that you need to work simply to pay? You're wealthy. Unless you consider someone with a net worth north of $2 million not wealthy.
Somebody whose mortgage is the same figure as one's net worth needs to get their head examined but then again during the 2008 recession when some in my areas lost their jobs and homes, the local pawn shops and Mercedes and BMW dealers Pre owned sections were flooded with inventory, kids were pulled out of colleges and private high schools.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Wow! Disney and Bruce Springsteen who knew I had such expensive tastes. Until AP’s come back and the reservation system improves we can spend the points on home stays and Bruce shame on you that one is far worse!
Whatever the ticket price, the Boss will still perform to sold out arenas.

GimpYancIent

If you have $2.5 million in equity and a $2.5 million mortgage that you need to work simply to pay? You're wealthy. Unless you consider someone with a net worth north of $2 million not wealthy.
According to your own math it sure looks like $2.5 million debt. Equity = value that is variable, inconsistent and just numbers on paper. So, I see a net worth of "0".

MagicRat

Whatever the ticket price, the Boss will still perform to sold out arenas.
The comparisons between Walt now WDC and Springsteen are uncanny. Both came from humble beginnings, both had an extremely hard work ethic at their craft, both had the sensitivity to reach the average man and with that both had expensive tastes. Both had a company behind them selling their image and profiting, you can go on and on with the likenesses but both the company and Bruce Inc in the end fell in love with dynamic pricing and maximizing profit. You think Disney’s dynamic pricing and crowd control reservations/genie plus is bad? Take a look at his tickets this tour, he once was buy A GA ticket at a reasonable price come early for a wrist band and lottery and you may be in the front row to now dynamic ticket pricing where a top of the arena seat is $2800 based on algorithms ($5000 on the floor). The defense from Bruce Inc via The NY Times was nearly identical to WDC’s response.

He will sell out and so is Disney but at what price? The computer generated price on his ticket or his ideals?

Lilofan

The comparisons between Walt now WDC and Springsteen are uncanny. Both came from humble beginnings, both had an extremely hard work ethic at their craft, both had the sensitivity to reach the average man and with that both had expensive tastes. Both had a company behind them selling their image and profiting, you can go on and on with the likenesses but both the company and Bruce Inc in the end fell in love with dynamic pricing and maximizing profit. You think Disney’s dynamic pricing and crowd control reservations/genie plus is bad? Take a look at his tickets this tour, he once was buy A GA ticket at a reasonable price come early for a wrist band and lottery and you may be in the front row to now dynamic ticket pricing where a top of the arena seat is $2800 based on algorithms ($5000 on the floor). The defense from Bruce Inc via The NY Times was nearly identical to WDC’s response.

He will sell out and so is Disney but at what price? The computer generated price on his ticket or his ideals?
If I'm going to see the Boss and pay $5K I'd rather see him in a more intimate place like one of his scheduled tour shows at Hard Rock Live in FL instead of football stadium shows.

bryanfze55

Not quite sure how you get to live in a 5 mil. home and not be wealthy at least at the time. I guess it depends from what direction one is looking at it.
Some people have the notion that if you need to work for a living at all, you aren’t “wealthy.” That true wealth is living off investment income only… I can see that argument, but I dispute it. Building wealth is, and should be, a long-term commitment. If you make $2.5 million you can easily afford a $5 million house and still build investment wealth quickly. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom