Trip Report The “No Trip” Trip Report *COMPLETED*

There are pre-trip reports.

There are trip reports.

I’d like to welcome you to what I believe might be the first “No Trip” trip report.

My name is Tuvalu. Ok, that’s not my real name (it’s not “Shirley” either 😉) but it’s how I’m known here on WDWMagic. For the past six years I have contributed a lot of trip reports in this forum. A lot! Along the way I have met so many wonderful people and made new friends, some of whom I have had the privilege of meeting in person. Honestly the reason why I write is for you, the reader, because I cherish our interactions. (Getting to re-live my trip is just a bonus!)

My husband Woody, my daughter Em and I were supposed to be leaving for our Spring Break trip to WDW tomorrow. Of course we are sad we cannot go (and our doing our part to keep ourselves and others safe) but remain confident we WILL get to go back sometime in the future.

I had been contemplating going “live” for our trip. Woody and Em are not fans of my reporting “live” since my attention is diverted from enjoying vacation with them. However this idea for a “No Trip” trip report came straight from Woody himself!

So for the next week, if you‘d like to Journey into My Imagination and read about what could have been, I’ll be here.

5DA90856-676D-4566-A037-FCC623AE42B9.png

epcotisbest

We’ve had our fill of crowds.

Returning to WL via ferry.

Is the room made up? Of course it is. We made our beds this morning.

Neither Woody nor Em are feeling the pool. I don’t feel like going by myself. I decide to read while they watch TV. I find myself getting distracted by the show they’re watching.

The Tiger King.

Me:
View attachment 461800

Everything you may have heard about this show is true. All of it.

It’s a train wreck. And though you try, you cannot look away.

Fortunately we binge only three episodes before we need to get ready for dinner. I feel the urge to shower and wash off any Tiger King residue.

Just after sunset we catch the small boat to the Contemporary. We ride the escalator to the second floor and check in for our ADR.

View attachment 461797

I request Ryan, forgetting that Mondays and Tuesdays are his days off. I inquire about the Monterey Room (which is in the back and quieter) but am told all tables are currently occupied. It’s actually a blessing in disguise, since we are given a table with a MK view.

We pass on appetizers since we want to have plenty of room for the main event. Typically we order the same meal at CG, and tonight is no exception.

Filet Mignon, White Cheddar and Chive Mashed Potatoes, Sea Salt Grilled Asparagus ~ paired with a glass (actually a bottle 😉) of Pinot Grigio.

View attachment 461799

So delicious! (And the cheapest CG meal we’ve ever had.)

Bonus ~ watching HEA from our table.

View attachment 461798

The temperature has dropped and it’s a bit chilly on the boat back to the Lodge.

Another fab day is now in the books. Goodnight all!

We've done Cali Grill a few times and tried watching the fireworks from the table one time, but just could not do it. Once those fireworks start, I gotta be outside toward the end of the viewing platform. Something about the view from there is special.
Stayed at BLT too, and watched from up there several times too. Could not imagine staying in the room to watch when I could be up top at the viewing deck. Now, when we stayed, we had a lake and pool view, which we really liked, so we could not have seen the view from the room anyway, and the lake view is fantastic. Lake view beats the parking lot/theme park view except for about 10 minutes per day.

clarabellej

I am so excited by your no-Trip trip report! I am in quarantine in Phoenix after traveling here from Texas with my college aged daughter (my Disney partner) to visit my husband/her Dad for Spring Break. We were supposed to stay a week, but well, this pandemic happened. I cannot tell you how much Disney dreaming I’ve been doing. My daughter and I went every year after she turned 5, until she hit 17. Her last trip was with her high school dance group. This will be my 3rd year without going 😭. So I am all ready to live vicariously through your imagination!!! I hope you run into Figment along the way. And since it is Spring Break, can we visit Flower and Garden??!! My favorite park vista is that area between Future World heading into World Showcase. You know the spot, where all the flowers are planted along the water and the monorail passes by overhead. Hey, and since it is imaginary, can we ride some of our favorites that are no longer there? And let’s do the original Journey Into Imagination!
D4D26E68-FAF9-4349-B929-494AC5C02FAA.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm loving your report and especially all the vintage photos! How old DOES a photo have to be to actually be considered 'vintage'?
Any photo or slide that you can hold in your hand is vintage! 🤣
No Tiger King tonight....the finale of Schitt’s Creek will be on our screen :inlove:

She's tall anyway, isn't she? Or is she just painted that way?
Em is 165.1 centimeters tall, just a tiny fraction above average for women.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not to be repetitive, but your throwback family pics add so much to this! Keep EM' coming... see what I did there...lol;)
You are TU clever! :joyfull:

Welcome!

I am so excited by your no-Trip trip report! I am in quarantine in Phoenix after traveling here from Texas with my college aged daughter (my Disney partner) to visit my husband/her Dad for Spring Break. We were supposed to stay a week, but well, this pandemic happened. I cannot tell you how much Disney dreaming I’ve been doing. My daughter and I went every year after she turned 5, until she hit 17. Her last trip was with her high school dance group. This will be my 3rd year without going 😭. So I am all ready to live vicariously through your imagination!!! I hope you run into Figment along the way. And since it is Spring Break, can we visit Flower and Garden??!! My favorite park vista is that area between Future World heading into World Showcase. You know the spot, where all the flowers are planted along the water and the monorail passes by overhead. Hey, and since it is imaginary, can we ride some of our favorites that are no longer there? And let’s do the original Journey Into Imagination!View attachment 461910
Looking forward to any additional thoughts you have once you’re all caught up. :bookworm: For the record I would LOVE to visit Horizons and World of Motion. Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks (enjoyed them equally). Original Figment. Skyway to Tomorrowland. Mickey Mouse Review.

But I am sticking with the attractions that ARE.....and how we would be touring the parks with the plans we had.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We've done Cali Grill a few times and tried watching the fireworks from the table one time, but just could not do it. Once those fireworks start, I gotta be outside toward the end of the viewing platform. Something about the view from there is special.
Stayed at BLT too, and watched from up there several times too. Could not imagine staying in the room to watch when I could be up top at the viewing deck. Now, when we stayed, we had a lake and pool view, which we really liked, so we could not have seen the view from the room anyway, and the lake view is fantastic. Lake view beats the parking lot/theme park view except for about 10 minutes per day.
Agree that the fireworks are best experienced outside on the rooftop, but there’s something to be said for staying at the table when it’s cold, windy or crowded with other guests. 😉

Also agree about lake view vs. parking lot (oops I mean theme park) view at the Contemporary. (While I have not stayed at BLT, the views are similar to CR.)

Your photo of the Ooey Gooey Cake made me think of you @Tuvalu when I saw this this morning!

Thanks @Spash007!

clarabellej

Well, I was almost right. We’ve done AK as our day one too! We used to almost always do it as a half day on departure day. That was way back when it closed earlier. Pre-Pandora Days.

The year ROL finally rolled out, we had an early dinner package at Tusker. We landed at MCO, took DME & then caught the bus from Pop to AK. It was the only way to get a FP for ROL.

Our usual first day/full day is always MK & like you, Peter Pan’s Flight.

That is how we know we’ve arrived!!!!!

Thanks for doing this No-Trip Trip report. It is helping us get thru & we can all dream of future trips.

BTW, I love Satu’li Canteen & Columbia Harbour House. Don’t forget to get an orange swirl at Sunshine Tree (is that the name?)

epcotisbest

Agree that the fireworks are best experienced outside on the rooftop, but there’s something to be said for staying at the table when it’s cold, windy or crowded with other guests. 😉

Also agree about lake view vs. parking lot (oops I mean theme park) view at the Contemporary. (While I have not stayed at BLT, the views are similar to CR.)

Thanks @Spash007!

Here is our room view at BLT. Not too shabby. And up top looking back toward Contemporary and Cali Grill. We are there right now! (in my mind)

IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_8006.JPG

Longers

Only you would think of doing this!

Fab idea but I joined on page 11!

Your trip is gong so well so far, but I guess that’s because you get to chose what happens and when and the mishaps will be down to your imagination.

That Saturday night takeaway show was meant to air from WDW live last weekend too but alas everything has been virtual for the past 2 weeks and obviously the plane didn’t leave with all of this years winners - they’ve been told they will be looked after once the flights start again.

Thanks for doing this - that’s one way we can dream of Disney until it opens.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, April 8

We don’t care if we make rope drop this morning because we have FPs for the two attractions we want to see. Thus we are easing into the day. Woody makes coffee for himself and Em and ventures out onto the patio.

Look what‘s for breakfast...straight from Minnie’s Bake Shop, of course. (We won’t tell anyone her secret recipe is Entenmann’s.)

F8498B5D-ADA3-4744-83D2-A811C4C5D197.jpeg

When we arrive at the WL bus stop, our bus is just pulling in. (Isn’t that your dream, @sheriffwoody? Well it’s also mine.😁 ) There are people waiting who will board before us (remember it’s Easter week) so we aren’t sure we’ll get seats. We don’t. But that’s okay....we’re on our way to Wallcot! (Or EPCOW if you take your acronyms from a ferret.)

New security is a breeze. A breeze I tell you! Gives me hope for the other “improvements” in the works for this park.

We scan in at Spaceship Earth. Em and I ride together with Woody solo behind us. We make sure Em never rides alone, after the trauma she suffered on a previous trip when a loud and obnoxious woman pushed her way in next to her.

Not many trip reports feature the printing press scene!
6FB8B6DE-0452-4A5C-8F49-9EEAC8B7A947.jpeg

You’re welcome.

We wander through the maze after exiting. Soon we are admiring the beautiful landscape of flowers. (Not the Landscape of Flavors....that’s found at the AoA Resort.)

A138B07F-24B4-4FEE-9377-BE0FCD4350DC.png

Every year Woody says he wishes our backyard looked like this. I tell him all he needs is a bunch of money and professional gardeners and it’s a done deal.

I must show this picture to my 3 year old granddaughter, Tuvalette. Currently, Daisy (not Minnie, not Mickey and certainly not Goofy, she insists) is her favorite Disney character.

675CAA34-7907-4DE3-9BB4-8BCB00C76820.jpeg

Her 2 year old sister, Tuvaleen, prefers Anna. She can sing a rousing toddler rendition of “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” while playing the keys on the family piano. I could not be more proud!

D8673993-30B8-45AB-AB49-4F08A4A3C002.jpeg

Our second FP.

0C5CAEC1-CA01-467B-9865-7F100AC3D2CD.png

While the next photo may not be considered vintage @dizfan917, Em and I consider it a classic.

Whenever we need a pick-me-up or a good belly laugh, we text it to each other.

From our inaugural ride on Frozen Ever After, July 2016......

🥁 🥁 🥁

7D724FF9-C529-4232-B26F-3AA6E74D7395.jpeg

You’re welcome.

k8einwdw

We reminisce about the Bakery BS (before Starbucks.) We used to get these amazing (huge!) double chocolate muffins that were dusted with confectioners sugar. Then we’d sit at one of the small wrought iron tables just outside the door and people-watch.

I remember those!!!!

Since we are in the neighborhood we jump on the Peoplemover (before the insanely long line forms.)

View attachment 461706

Love the Wishes shirt, Em!

Everything you may have heard about this show is true. All of it.

It’s a train wreck. And though you try, you cannot look away.

Fortunately we binge only three episodes before we need to get ready for dinner. I feel the urge to shower and wash off any Tiger King residue.

😂😂😂 We haven't seen the Netflix show, but I listened to a podcast on the Tiger King last year...what a strange, twisted story!

Look what‘s for breakfast...straight from Minnie’s Bake Shop, of course. (We won’t tell anyone her secret recipe is Entenmann’s.)

I now think of you guys anytime I pass the table of Entenmann's at my Publix!

We wander through the maze after exiting. Soon we are admiring the beautiful landscape of flowers. (Not the Landscape of Flavors....that’s found at the AoA Resort.)

A138B07F-24B4-4FEE-9377-BE0FCD4350DC.png

Every year Woody says he wishes our backyard looked like this. I tell him all he needs is a bunch of money and professional gardeners and it’s a done deal.

Love this shirt, too!
I must show this picture to my 3 year old granddaughter, Tuvalette. Currently, Daisy (not Minnie, not Mickey and certainly not Goofy, she insists) is her favorite Disney character.

675CAA34-7907-4DE3-9BB4-8BCB00C76820.jpeg
The girl has good taste!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Where is my head today? I forgot that we went to visit ducks before we visited sisters.

5FBD0CD4-348D-4071-BFC0-11EDB46B0B61.png

We have a boat to ourselves (easy when you arrive when the pavilion opens.) This attraction has always screamed “vacation” to me. Perhaps because Mexico seemed so exotic when I first rode it in 1983.

Exotic = Mexico 🌺
Not Exotic = Joe 🐯

Anyhoo, with two boat journeys complete, we hurry to the Refreshment Outpost for a VIP meet!

E9813D37-A0D3-4E9E-B896-A023FD205A0A.jpeg

Last year a fellow Magician and I bonded over our love for Strawberry Rose Cider, one of the featured ciders at F&G. Since we both are here this week, we agreed to meet and try the new ciders offered this year.

C2BED795-F3F2-45AE-A9AB-F50E398EA8C6.jpeg

47438586-0D39-4E0C-B60E-BB716066CE7B.jpeg

None of this year’s flavors wow me. And the seasoning on the pineapple skewer?:depressed: Unadulterated pineapple is delicious on it’s own. Drizzled with caramel? As @Darstarr says, “I’ll allow it.” :hungry:

I’ll allow my SFAM @93boomer to voice her opinion on this year’s selection (if she chooses to do so).

F5DE3A7E-D99F-4ED1-9B43-639AB4A79816.jpeg

(The parks closure IRL made missing out on meeting up today painful....worse than the sunburn on my arm!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We part ways with @93boomer and her charming hubby and continue our walk around World Showcase Lagoon. Away from the unsightly walls in Future World, the Festival really shines here.

435616B3-89BC-4246-83D9-A43AE140B0F7.png

By the time we reach France there’s a rumbly in my tumbly.

14A6CB9B-2B53-4EF3-85B2-5EC31E2CA2F8.jpeg

@Captain Barbossa knows where lunch is.

7F8A9C7E-3577-4DCB-A716-FCE52D211C83.jpeg

See the empty table on the far left? I call dibs!

Dining al fresco with a Jambon Beurre (or a Dinde BLT if you’re Em) is the perfect lunch for a sunny spring day.

8558840E-BBD1-4AC9-911B-968A687478E8.jpeg

(How did I do @Captain Barbossa?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom