ThanksGiving Week How crazy is it?

dixiegirl

I'd like to try a diferent time of the yr to do to WDW, we have been in the past various different times of the yr. August being when we take our longer trip every yr.. ...we've been looking into the end of the week prior to thanksgiving then running into thanksgiving week, is it insane at this time? I know Holidays in Disney are nutty busy but would you compare it to April spring break , like that busy?? I ask this cause we visited florida couple yrs ago for a cruise and spent a couple days in WDW after the cruise (we figured it was gonna be nutty) but we got to the point we just left the park cause it was crazy.. And we are trying to plan this trip either with a veterans day holiday or columbus day, if not thanksgiving...Why? because I would love to take our girls but they are both in school at this time, so if they miss 3 days its not quite as bad as a whole week....we use to take them inSeptember but for some reason our schools in RI have been starting way before labor day....Thank You for any imput at all!!

Lisalyn

Hey there! That is when I typically go. The whole week of Thanksgiving! It isn't too bad the weekend before but by a day or two before Thanksgiving Day - it's pretty busy. Usually 8 out of 10. That being said - it is a wonderful magical time to visit WDW. There is so much to see and do. You get all the holiday shows to include my fave, Osborne Lights. The resorts and parks are decorated. It is awesome!! And it's all in the planning. Make sure you have a good plan for the parks, what you want to do, where you want to eat and go for it. You will wait in lines. No denying it. But if you plan your trip accordingly...you truly will enjoy the heck out of it!:)

PS - do NOT forget the Candlelight Processional. Eye popping and jaw dropping. I'm doing the CLP Dinner Package with Gary Sinise.:D

Upvote 0

coachwnh

We have been to WDW three of the last four years for Thanksgiving. We always arrive on the Wednesday before, and stay the following week. The crowds are largest from Thursday through Monday and will really tapper off after that. We have done MVMCP both early and later that following week and the crowds for both were similar. However, during the day, later in the week you will see somewhat smaller crowds (not small, just smaller then earlier in the week). Its a great time to be in WDW. Everything is decorated for Christmas. Its a great way to begin the season. I totally agree with trying to see CP in Epcot. We were able to see Gary Sinise last year on Christmas Eve. (still waiting to see who it will be this year as that is the only guest narrater yet to be named). You are going to love it!!!! The best advice I can give you is to hit the parks early. You can get so much done at rope drop. As with any time in WDW, the largest crowds arrive mid to late morning. If you are in at opening, you can always do all of your favorites before the parks begins to fill with minimal waits (grabbing a FP here and there as you go). Enjoy that trip! PS Where are you eating on Thanksgiving?

Upvote 0

75disney

We have gone Thanksgiving week for the last few years due to the kids' school schedule. Our arrival has differed due to air deals; we have arrived the Mon., Tues., or Wed. Before Thanksgiving and we always leave the Tues. after Thanksgiving. I feel that crowds are manageable, like a summer crowd. I agree with Coach that you should get to the parks for rope drop so you can do the most popular rides and get your fast passes. Doing that, we have never waited in lines longer than 15-20 minutes for the attractions, the exception being a few character M&Gs that the girls really wanted to do. Be sure to do the Osborne Lights in HS; it is the best way to put you in the Christmas spirit. Plus, rumor has it that this might be the last year for them; I really hope not! If you do not have an ADR for Thanksgiving Day, make one soon. Many restaurants are already booked for dinner and that includes the less popular ones. You may need to be willing to eat a Thanksgiving lunch somewhere to get a decent place. If you have time, try to stop at a few of the resorts, especially GF, WL, AKL, and BC to check out their amazing trees and decorations. It is a nice break from the parks.
You will love Thanksgiving at Disney. It is a great way to kick off the holidays!

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the quick responces! Well I guess I should have noted that it would be for next yr...We have been to disney the first week of November and loved all the christmas decor , the parade andthe Osbourne spect. I hope they dont do away with it cause it is great to see definatly gets you in the Spirit!!

Upvote 0

tractorm3

My fam went for the week of turkey day. sadly for college I could only go thurs-sun flying from Boston. The crowds are def there but if you plan ahead just a bit and use some Disney smarts you should be ok. I moved around depending on where the big shows, parades and fireworks were at. Take advantage of the extra magic hours. Show up right at opening. I have never had an issue at rope drop hitting 3-4 close rides before lines really start getting lengthy.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

We did Thanksgiving two years ago arriving on Saturday prior to Thanksgiving, and leaving the Friday (black Friday) after. The crowds were light Sunday and Monday, Tuesday was more crowded and Wednesday and Thursday crowded, but manageable. If your going Make your ADR's for Thanksgiving Day as soon as you can if you want typical Thanksgiving food. Liberty Tree was all day 90 days out, but we booked Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge and it was great. Me and the wife are looking at trying to do the week prior to Thanksgiving this year, but my have to cancel if some medical issues take longer than expected.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We checked out the day before Thanksgiving last year...so, we spent Sun-Wed in the parks during the week of Thanksgiving. You could definitely feel the crowds build each day and things were pretty busy by that Wednesday, but it won't feel too bad if you manage your touring and FPs well.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

We go every year at Thanksgiving and it's not bad at all until a day or two before and then it's still not very bad. I also find crowds to be far easier to handle when it's 75 than when its 95. If you are going to go get your dining reservasitions booked they go really fast.

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We haven't gone Thanksgiving week proper. We have arrived the Sat after Thanksgiving and stayed the week after. Crowds were minimal, weather was very nice. We had a great time. Pulling the kids from school was a very difficult choice for us. We got all of the work done ahead of time (kids didn't know.) we told them we asked teacher to give them extra homework to help them get into talented and gifted classes. It worked out fine, teachers were Disney addicts as well :)

Upvote 0

danpam1024

In 2011, we arrived on Thanksgiving Day- BWI. Went to Epcot, it was busy, but not terrible. The rest of the vacation crowds were mild at best. And it was cold that week. Perfect holiday trip. Wish we were going this year :(

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom