News Test Track to be reimagined

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The electric vehicles nobody wants to buy and which every car company except Tesla loses tens of thousands of dollars per car.
Sales growth has slowed. We will see what happens. I still view electric cars as just a stopgap for better/future technology like hydrogen. A lot of resources used and wasted on electric cars. Need something better long term.

Mike S

Sales growth has slowed. We will see what happens. I still view electric cars as just a stopgap for better/future technology like hydrogen. A lot of resources used and wasted on electric cars. Need something better long term.
Not to mention the power plants that make the electricity that fuels electric cars still mostly use fossil fuels.

We’re not fully there yet but at least we’re moving in that direction.

J4546

lots of resources indeed but thats also very true for current oil based industry as well

EricsBiscuit

speak for yourself, i love electric vehicles and will probably get one soon.

Also, regardless of liking or disliking electric vehicles, its the future. all manufacturers are making fully electric cars now and will continue to do so. Ford, Chevy, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc...all of them going electric. The age of combustion engines is dying out, just like steam powered coal burning locomotive gave way to diesel we are entering a new phase in transport.
There’s not enough lithium/copper/rare earths production globally just for the US to go all electric and that’s if it all goes to EVs alone (no copper for wires, phones, etc.). It’s a pipe dream. It’s never going to happen. Car makers are realizing this now. They’re already slashing production. The only reason we have gotten this far is because of misguided government subsidies. The ICE is the only viable engine in the future. Gas is increasingly cheap and clean.

ZachPL

Not to mention the power plants that make the electricity that fuels electric cars still mostly use fossil fuels.

Yes, what makes the biggest difference is that electric vehicle engines are around 90% efficient, where gas is like 30%. I'd prefer my money goes towards moving the vehicle rather than sprayed into the air.

I don't think there is really much doubt that test track isn't going the electric or other alternative fuel route for the remodel.

J4546

There’s not enough lithium/copper/rare earths production globally just for the US to go all electric and that’s if it all goes to EVs alone (no copper for wires, phones, etc.). It’s a pipe dream. It’s never going to happen. Car makers are realizing this now. They’re already slashing production. The only reason we have gotten this far is because of misguided government subsidies. The ICE is the only viable engine in the future. Gas is increasingly cheap and clean.
I don't know where you get your news but ok...

Haymarket2008

I really wonder how they’re going to schedule this closure. Are they going to do this before, during or after Spaceship Earth eventually goes down? Should be interesting. “Future World” still needs all the capacity help it can get.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

That's true... depending on where you live. However, due to the inherent efficiency of electric cars, and the almost complete lack of drivetrain loss, an EV that's running on 100% electricity generate from oil still uses it far FAR much more efficiently than a comparable ICE car.

That MPGe rating that EVs get is in the US intended for you to compare it to ICE cars.

Wow, who knew people knew so much about EVs here?

I'm not an expert on the subject, other than having spent most of the past 15 years working as an engineering drafter for a major tier 1 supplier to automakers, as a designer for a major automaker in the EV space, a marketing senior manager for that same automaker's EV brands, and subsequently as a brand manager of several product lines for an EV aftermarket supplier. (career pro tip: show enthusiasm and a versatile skillset when working in automotive)

Oh, and I'm onto my fourth EV that I've personally owned, plus I've driven dozens of different EVs from different automakers, including models that aren't offered in North America.

But I might know a thing or two about them.

Last edited:

Mike S

Yes, what makes the biggest difference is that electric vehicle engines are around 90% efficient, where gas is like 30%. I'd prefer my money goes towards moving the vehicle rather than sprayed into the air.

I don't think there is really much doubt that test track isn't going the electric or other alternative fuel route for the remodel.
That's true... depending on where you live. However, due to the inherent efficiency of electric cars, and the almost complete lack of drivetrain loss, an EV that's running on 100% electricity generate from oil still uses it far FAR much more efficiently than a comparable ICE car.

That MPGe rating that EVs get is in the US intended for you to compare it to ICE cars.
I was more making the point of finding another source for the power plants.

From what little I know, I say nuclear.

SilentWindODoom

Wow, who knew people knew so much about EVs here?

It's weird. Given that I was following the Tron thread through construction, I saw it break out at least thrice now. It feels like the same ten users have been doing this whenever electric vehicles are brought up, continuing the discourse. I did not have such a strong overlap happening.

And here I thought we may have heard SOMETHING about this.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't mind EV's but I don't like heavy cars and EV's at the moment are just making things very heavy for the most part (with some exceptions).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't mind EV's but I don't like heavy cars and EV's at the moment are just making things very heavy for the most part (with some exceptions).

It's especially good to note the exceptions lest an urban myth develops that all EVs are significantly and monstrously heavier than combustion cars. The average EV weighs less than the average combustion SUV (tho, of course, the average EV SUV weighs more than the average combustion SUV).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom