Test Track refurb???

RSoxNo1

And style over substance...

Or rather, substituting flash for substance. Which is great. Tron is simply cool. It is one of the few instances where Disney has actually been hip and edgy. Tron's visuals are real cult nowadays, just as classic as its fellow 'class of 1982' style icons Blade Runner and those early eighties video games. All three initially overlooked by both mainstream and avant-garde, complete cult classics now.

Just how cult is evident from this picture of jmcl07 looking all 'style icon' in his Tron outfit! :

tron-guy.jpg
How great would it be if they put Lyndon Johnson in the Tron guy outfit?

Also, do we still see an increase in lateral forces?

scbb11Sketch

They should have enclosed the outside portion with a tunnel around the track. Then they could have LED lights and projections on the inside of the tunnel to really add to the speed effect and provide a completely new experience on that portion of the ride. Now that I really think about it and ride it in my head, I'm upset this didn't happen.

Clamman73

They should have enclosed the outside portion with a tunnel around the track. Then they could have LED lights and projections on the inside of the tunnel to really add to the speed effect and provide a completely new experience on that portion of the ride. Now that I really think about it and ride it in my head, I'm upset this didn't happen.

That was in my mind as part of the refurb...just would have needed a sky's the limit budget though to enclose the whole track. Could have killed two birds w/ one stone by being able to keep the ride open during bad weather too.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
And style over substance...

Or rather, substituting flash for substance. Which is great. Tron is simply cool. It is one of the few instances where Disney has actually been hip and edgy. Tron's visuals are real cult nowadays, just as classic as its fellow 'class of 1982' style icons Blade Runner and those early eighties video games. All three initially overlooked by both mainstream and avant-garde, complete cult classics now.

...speaking of which...
Just how cult Tron is, is evident from this picture of jmcl07 looking all 'style icon' in his Tron outfit! :

tron-guy.jpg

LOL... I've never even seen Tron, It is just never interested me. If my posts made an impression of some Tron loving and ToT Summernightatsic fanboy... I couldn't be further. My posts in this thread are just quotations of people from twitter and other forums. I just searched the web to try and bring us some feedback since up until late yesterday we had few members providing insight on the ride.

MarkTwain

Rode it a couple of times tonight... it's a trip. We joked that whoever designed it was on acid, and I mean that in the best way possible. It definitely had a Tron-like feel with an emphasis on dark shapes and neon lighting. The whole experience is pretty abstract visually; not a lot in the way of physical set pieces per se (although there is one very cool SSE '94 style model city you drive by), but lots in the way of visual effects like laser scans of your car, lightning strikes, projections of lines, etc. It seems very narration-focused; I didn't understand much of what was going on my first time on it because I was more focused on the scenery and the movement of the car, but when I rode it my second time I realized the narrators were describing everything that was happening.

It looks like the effects are the same for every car in terms of physical ride experience, but how your personalized virtual car would have performed in each test is ranked alongside other riders on a screen after each scene. Pretty cool concept but it wasn't working when we rode; they were just displaying default example cars. I'm sure it's one of the things they'll get working for the finalized version.

In general, I loved it. It was interesting to see how WDI could bring its recent focus on interactivity to the table and impact ride experience in a truly meaningful way, without overpowering the ride (SSE), feeling fake (M:S), or turning the ride into an all-out video game (TSMM). This is something I never, ever thought I'd say about Test Track, but it is clear that it is now one of Epcot's forerunners in actually delivering on Future World's theme and visual style, alongside Spaceship Earth and the Land building. More bizarrely still, upon reflection, it occurred to me that this is my favorite of any of the three attractions that occupied the Transportation pavilion, and I've been on all of them (and dearly loved World of Motion). So that right there is an accomplishment. ;) Kudos to everyone involved.

Any questions?

articos

In general, I loved it. It was interesting to see how WDI could bring its recent focus on interactivity to the table and impact ride experience in a truly meaningful way, without overpowering the ride (SSE), feeling fake (M:S), or turning the ride into an all-out video game (TSMM).

Very apt description.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Rode it a couple of times tonight... it's a trip.
Any questions?

We heard the cars running all evening and night tonight (we were in Epcot from 6pm-11pm) and I walked up and asked point blank if it might be open for public rides tonight and was told they were still almost a week from previews or soft openings to the public. That must've been you riding over and over!! We were bummed as we leave the World tomorrow and most likely won't be back for quite some time...

Epcot '92

Well I was interested in this post until the comparison to ToT Summernightastic edition. That was horrendous, so any comparison to that cannot be good LOL

Uhh... I think this has been taken out of context... I was reffering to how everyone thought that all it would be would be Black tarps and lights. Like summer nighttastic TOT, or SSE's finale. Thats my bad for not making that clear. But this is more than just Tarps and Lights, which was my point. Ill be there Dec.6th taking pics and video, then you can really see what I mean :D

westcot1982

Rode it a couple of times tonight... it's a trip. We joked that whoever designed it was on acid, and I mean that in the best way possible. It definitely had a Tron-like feel with an emphasis on dark shapes and neon lighting. The whole experience is pretty abstract visually; not a lot in the way of physical set pieces per se (although there is one very cool SSE '94 style model city you drive by), but lots in the way of visual effects like laser scans of your car, lightning strikes, projections of lines, etc. It seems very narration-focused; I didn't understand much of what was going on my first time on it because I was more focused on the scenery and the movement of the car, but when I rode it my second time I realized the narrators were describing everything that was happening.

It looks like the effects are the same for every car in terms of physical ride experience, but how your personalized virtual car would have performed in each test is ranked alongside other riders on a screen after each scene. Pretty cool concept but it wasn't working when we rode; they were just displaying default example cars. I'm sure it's one of the things they'll get working for the finalized version.

In general, I loved it. It was interesting to see how WDI could bring its recent focus on interactivity to the table and impact ride experience in a truly meaningful way, without overpowering the ride (SSE), feeling fake (M:S), or turning the ride into an all-out video game (TSMM). This is something I never, ever thought I'd say about Test Track, but it is clear that it is now one of Epcot's forerunners in actually delivering on Future World's theme and visual style, alongside Spaceship Earth and the Land building. More bizarrely still, upon reflection, it occurred to me that this is my favorite of any of the three attractions that occupied the Transportation pavilion, and I've been on all of them (and dearly loved World of Motion). So that right there is an accomplishment. ;) Kudos to everyone involved.

Any questions?

Thanks for posting that! I'm so excited to go now, can't wait for opening day! It seems that from what I've heard, Disney and Chevy have created a real winner.

One question... how was the soundtrack to the ride? Any hints of World of Motion or Test Track or is it more Daft Punk/Tron?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom