Test Track LED ride vehicle headlights

wild01ride

Original Poster
I know that Martin mentioned LED headlights on 1-2 vehicles back at the beginning of the month.

Just an update: we rode Tues. of this week and every vehicle that I saw is currently equipped with them.

In general, everything is going to LED at WDW!

Testtrack321

Beginning of December last year!! The headlights have been phased in to all vehicles throughout the first half of this year.

That's what I thought, when I was down there in June I noticed a HUGE improvement. I thought they were LEDs, good to see you confirming I'm not crazy... :lookaroun

flavious27

I know that Martin mentioned LED headlights on 1-2 vehicles back at the beginning of the month.

Just an update: we rode Tues. of this week and every vehicle that I saw is currently equipped with them.

If only they will update the rest of the ride.

larathydo

Anyone else think it's funny that they see changing the lights one of the top priority of the ride? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll see energy savings in doing so (and that probably was the biggest motivator), but for the past 3-4 years I've gone to EPCOT it seems like 75% of the time I get in a car that has a bad LCD display panel in the middle. It's always either flickering, completely black or a static fuzz is displayed - like on an old television.

Everything else about the show looks pretty decent (albeit starting to show its age just a tad) but it always boggles my mind that those screens never seem to be fixed when I go there.

Perhaps they are just too unreliable for the environment at hand? :shrug:

JWG

I was amazed (I mean AMAZED) that this past month two features were working on Test Track I didn't think would ever work again:

1) The cones on the anti-lock break testing were up (that you slide through in test one). They'd been down in every previous ride I'd been on dating back to 2007 or so.

2) The video package post anti-lock breaking was working! The two screens that show you sliding through the first set of cones along side making it through the 2nd. I can't even remember the last time this worked for me.

Granted, I only go once every 12-18 months, so it probably is working more than not and I'm just "lucky" to hit the not. But I couldn't believe it. Made my whole trip (almost) right there.

flavious27

Anyone else think it's funny that they see changing the lights one of the top priority of the ride? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll see energy savings in doing so (and that probably was the biggest motivator), but for the past 3-4 years I've gone to EPCOT it seems like 75% of the time I get in a car that has a bad LCD display panel in the middle. It's always either flickering, completely black or a static fuzz is displayed - like on an old television.

Everything else about the show looks pretty decent (albeit starting to show its age just a tad) but it always boggles my mind that those screens never seem to be fixed when I go there.

Perhaps they are just too unreliable for the environment at hand? :shrug:

Agreed, but changing the lights to led cost less and helped just a bit with the parks energy consumption.

bgraham34

I know the lights on Main Street (ones that outline the buildings) have had issues becoming led. It has been hard to manufacture the correct ones. Disney really wants those done.

Bravo 229

I was amazed (I mean AMAZED) that this past month two features were working on Test Track I didn't think would ever work again:

1) The cones on the anti-lock break testing were up (that you slide through in test one). They'd been down in every previous ride I'd been on dating back to 2007 or so.

2) The video package post anti-lock breaking was working! The two screens that show you sliding through the first set of cones along side making it through the 2nd. I can't even remember the last time this worked for me.

Granted, I only go once every 12-18 months, so it probably is working more than not and I'm just "lucky" to hit the not. But I couldn't believe it. Made my whole trip (almost) right there.

2) those screens seem to be hit or miss...I rode TT on three different days over a span of a month this year and the screens only worked once during that timeframe

larathydo

Hmm, I could definately see a power savings in switching the lights to LED on the Main Street facades, however is it even technically possible to get LED lights to emulate old fashioned tungsten lighting of the period it represents? ("old fashioned", relatively speaking of course lol).

wolf359

Hmm, I could definately see a power savings in switching the lights to LED on the Main Street facades, however is it even technically possible to get LED lights to emulate old fashioned tungsten lighting of the period it represents? ("old fashioned", relatively speaking of course lol).

That's what the hold up is most likely. LED manufacturers are trying to make LED's that don't give off that harsh blue-ish characteristic LED glow, but I guess that is what is keeping Disney from making the switch on Main Street; they haven't quite got them worked out yet.

hpyhnt 1000

It is, at least for smaller LEDs at this point. Take a look at any place that sells LED Christmas lights and you'll find many manufacturers producing both cool warm white LEDs. WDW has already incorporated the warm white LEDs into many of its Christmas wreaths. The push is now on to develop an LED bulb that is similar in light output and color as the old incandescent pear shaped bulbs.

Warm White LEDs:

LV053328WW250%20led%20warm%20white.jpg

Cool White LEDs:

08P-LV071638W%20%20LED%20connectable%20lights.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom