Test Track LED ride vehicle headlights

flavious27

Hmm, I could definately see a power savings in switching the lights to LED on the Main Street facades, however is it even technically possible to get LED lights to emulate old fashioned tungsten lighting of the period it represents? ("old fashioned", relatively speaking of course lol).

picresized_BoathouseRow-night.jpg

Boathouse Row in Philly switched to LED 5 years ago to cut down on the energy and maintenance costs. The only complaint with the system is that the illumination is more directional than the incandescent bulbs they used before.

dweezil78

Do they still have the big bulky SD sets in the pre-show? Maybe I'm just a TV snob, but that seemed so ghetto to me last time I was there. (Nov '09) :)

wild01ride

Original Poster
The LED color availability has definitely improved recently.

I recently installed "warm white" LED's to replace the incandescent bulbs in our landscape lighting. They perfectly match the incandescent bulbs we have on another part of the house.

With the use of PWM (pulse-width modulation), LED's can also be varied/dimmed (LED's are very sensitive to a specific voltage, which is why they will flicker when used outside their design voltage; with traditional lights, you can simply reduce the voltage to dim the lights; that's not the case with LED's).
I noticed some interesting usage of dimming of the LED's in the Osbourne lights this year.

wild01ride

Original Poster
Beginning of December last year!! The headlights have been phased in to all vehicles throughout the first half of this year.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention that your post was from 2009.
Regardless, I didn't read about any update since then (and I haven't been to the World since Sept. 2009).

Thanks! :wave:

WDWRLD

The LEDs used on TT appear to be Grote units. As far as LEDs on mainstreet as of technology right now there is nothing comparable. When we were there last June there was a small section of those little lights on MS that had been switched to LEDs. Leds produce a different spectrum of light, what I mean is the main lighting on MS comes drom those small indicator bulbs used along the buildings. Leds dont produce enough visable light to get the same effect. Notice houses in your area with old fashioned miniature or C-7 lights used outside for Christmas lights and how much of the house and yard is lit up. Then look at a house with LED holiday lights. The yard appears much darker and the so does the house. They also have to consider what many have said is the most photographed structure in the world. LEDs also at times dont work well with digital cameras. As far as life expectantcy...the companys that make LED lighting gived these lights exceptionally long life times. However with my personal experience over time the "white" LED bulbs dim and do not produce the same light output as when they are new. Example....go to your local discoust store....Lets say Walmart, look at their display of christmas lights. Those lights when the first put them out in October were very bright. Now go back now that its December and open a new box and plut it in and you will notice a visable difference. LEDs have their place and I feel in time they will make one that will be truely a equal replacement for the incandescent bulbs but just not yet.

hpyhnt 1000

Do they still have the big bulky SD sets in the pre-show? Maybe I'm just a TV snob, but that seemed so ghetto to me last time I was there. (Nov '09) :)

Yep! They were alive and well on January 1. At least the on-ride screens have been switched to flat panels. :shrug:

flavious27

The LEDs used on TT appear to be Grote units. As far as LEDs on mainstreet as of technology right now there is nothing comparable. When we were there last June there was a small section of those little lights on MS that had been switched to LEDs. Leds produce a different spectrum of light, what I mean is the main lighting on MS comes drom those small indicator bulbs used along the buildings. Leds dont produce enough visable light to get the same effect. Notice houses in your area with old fashioned miniature or C-7 lights used outside for Christmas lights and how much of the house and yard is lit up. Then look at a house with LED holiday lights. The yard appears much darker and the so does the house. They also have to consider what many have said is the most photographed structure in the world. LEDs also at times dont work well with digital cameras. As far as life expectantcy...the companys that make LED lighting gived these lights exceptionally long life times. However with my personal experience over time the "white" LED bulbs dim and do not produce the same light output as when they are new. Example....go to your local discoust store....Lets say Walmart, look at their display of christmas lights. Those lights when the first put them out in October were very bright. Now go back now that its December and open a new box and plut it in and you will notice a visable difference. LEDs have their place and I feel in time they will make one that will be truely a equal replacement for the incandescent bulbs but just not yet.

True, for wdw to switch main st to led, they will need the best. They will but they need something that will not change the guest experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom