Test Track closing early April 19

mikejs78

Premium Member
True, but that model has changed a lot since then. It’s not dead (yet), but certainly has lessened or at least evolved. Even though GM sponsors TT, they certainly don’t own it and shouldn’t be able to shut it down. That’s not the reason for sponsorship on either side in the first place.
I believe that things like this have happened since the beginning. I know someone who worked for Kraft foods back in the 80s - and I remember one time hearing about how they shut down The Land one evening for a private corporate event, which this individual attended.

GM is the original sponsor of that pavillion - from day one. Probably the only sponsor in Epcot today who has been there since the beginning. I suspect they have favorable long term contract terms that go back to the early 80s..

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Not about the lights. It's the interactive element of designing your own car and benchmarking it against the base test model. It's a lot of fun. Could it be better? Sure. But it's still a lot of fun.
It feels like it could be at home (concept-wise) with some classic Epcot stuff. It's not an omnimover with Animatronic show scenes, but the edutainment aspect is incredibly strong. I'd love to see it with some additional *gasp* screens. Maybe drive alongside a life-size version of the best car in each category like you were looking through a mirror, or with your cars appearing on the in-car displays...

Or just for the "welcome to the sim-track" audio cue to sync up properly for once.

21stamps

Not about the lights. It's the interactive element of designing your own car and benchmarking it against the base test model. It's a lot of fun. Could it be better? Sure. But it's still a lot of fun.

I think the appeal of the ride is definitely the design aspect and “test”... the interactive games/commercials etc after the ride are also as much of a reason to visit as the ride itself.

RSoxNo1

I think the appeal of the ride is definitely the design aspect and “test”... the interactive games/commercials etc after the ride are also as much of a reason to visit as the ride itself.
The pre-show for Test Track feels very EPCOT Center to me. I just wish the ride itself integrated more of the pre-show design process. The ride itself feels sterile, and it would be great if there was some humor integrated to the attraction like the previous incarnation. This could be accomplished a variety of different ways, but the easiest would be to use the designs on monitors where it simulates the best and worst vehicles at each test.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The pre-show for Test Track feels very EPCOT Center to me. I just wish the ride itself integrated more of the pre-show design process. The ride itself feels sterile, and it would be great if there was some humor integrated to the attraction like the previous incarnation. This could be accomplished a variety of different ways, but the easiest would be to use the designs on monitors where it simulates the best and worst vehicles at each test.
That's something they could easily do for a Test Track 2.5 or something.

Jambo Joe

Great comment. I have to admit the first time we rode it after the re-skin I was genuinely confused - there is too little connection between the design time you spend at the beginning and any tangible result during the ride. We had one of those - ‘ wait - that’s it?!’ moments. Lol.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Great comment. I have to admit the first time we rode it after the re-skin I was genuinely confused - there is too little connection between the design time you spend at the beginning and any any tangible result during the ride. We had one of those - waiting that’s it?!’

Misleading:
E6E799E2-BE1D-4113-8172-E5880D4ECF10.jpeg

Gitson Shiggles

How is it misleading. Isn’t that exactly what the ride is?

The description led me to believe the car I design has some effect on the ride experience. That’s not saying the description is intentionally misleading, though now I know I’m not alone in misunderstanding the description. Disney could have incorporated the car designs into the ride experience in some clever way. Maybe they had a plan, and the budget wouldn’t allow it.

21stamps

The description led me to believe the car I design has some effect on the ride experience. That’s not saying the description is intentionally misleading, though now I know I’m not alone in misunderstanding the description. Disney could have incorporated the car designs into the ride experience in some clever way. Maybe they had a plan, and the budget wouldn’t allow it.

Ah ok. I always thought that the point was to see how good your design was.. so it made sense to me.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm not sure how that would be possible given that each car seats 6 people...

Gitson Shiggles

I'm not sure how that would be possible given that each car seats 6 people...
Imagineers would be able to figure something out. Here’s an example:

IanDLBZF

Steve,
I know this is off topic, but...
I'd like to see like a "bulletin-board" post similar to how Mr Penguin's rumor tracker is posted so that parks related announcements can be posted in one central location.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
We talked with one of imagineers involved in redo. This was an atempt by Chevy to give modern cutting edge tech feel to auto industry. Not a bad idea, but I’m not totally sold on the new theming. What would be cool if they did like a virtual comparison of the created cars then you “ride” the best scoring vehicle. Have a cool and perhaps more obvious transition between the virtual car and a physical vehicle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom