Test Track 2012 Refurb.. You heard it here first.

WDWFREAK53

Thats good to hear, could you give any details?

I may be wrong...and I'm sure Martin can shed some light on it...but I think the design of the ride and speed of the ride was determined based on the bank of the curve.

At a higher rate of speed, the bank of the turn needed to be steeper...but with the steepness of the bank, it would be unsafe if the ride cut out and the cars were stopped on that section of track.

I know there were tons of rumors going around and it's tough to tell which is true and which is false but I remember hearing that the ride was originally planned to be a lot faster (80+mph) but due to the banks, they limited it down to 65mph.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I may be wrong...and I'm sure Martin can shed some light on it...but I think the design of the ride and speed of the ride was determined based on the bank of the curve.

At a higher rate of speed, the bank of the turn needed to be steeper...but with the steepness of the bank, it would be unsafe if the ride cut out and the cars were stopped on that section of track.

I know there were tons of rumors going around and it's tough to tell which is true and which is false but I remember hearing that the ride was originally planned to be a lot faster (80+mph) but due to the banks, they limited it down to 65mph.

The speed limit was set by Eisner, who decided that it was not right to show cars traveling above the speed limit of most major roads at that time in the USA. The ride system was capable of more.

WDWFREAK53

The speed limit was set by Eisner, who decided that it was not right to show cars traveling above the speed limit of most major roads at that time in the USA. The ride system was capable of more.

Thanks for the info...

It's really just closed-minded thinking of Eisner though.
This attraction isn't about driving on the road...it's a test track...and when they're doing "the high speed loop" on a test track, they don't bring it up to 65 and stop accelerating.

If the current ride system is capable of more...then this refurb is the perfect time to push it to the limits.

Expo_Seeker40

:lookaroun :wave:

2zi98go.jpg

The thing is...the France pavilion is a "dream" of Paris...it's the Eiffel Tower in it's original color scheme from the late 1800s, with it's original crown (which was replaced twice and later with a tv antenna), but still...there is no view in Paris where the Eiffel Tower looks like this, except maybe at the end of Champs de Mars.

Jerm

Get ready for TRON.

Hows that for FUTURE world? :)

So wait......am I still waiting for the TRON part of it????? This is why you don't make statements and fight that you are right and everyone is wrong. As it turns out you can be wrong!

GLaDOS

So wait......am I still waiting for the TRON part of it????? This is why you don't make statements and fight that you are right and everyone is wrong. As it turns out you can be wrong!

From the description in the press release, I don't think it's out of the question that there could be TRON aesthetics in the attraction.

The Empress Lilly

:lookaroun :wave:

2zi98go.jpg

The thing is...the France pavilion is a "dream" of Paris...it's the Eiffel Tower in it's original color scheme from the late 1800s, with it's original crown (which was replaced twice and later with a tv antenna), but still...there is no view in Paris where the Eiffel Tower looks like this, except maybe at the end of Champs de Mars.
I agree about the idealised representations in World Showcase and all that, but personally, I have never thought the EPCOT Eiffel Tower is the joke that folklore says it is. Paris works on an entirely different scale than WS. The whole of EPCOT could fit in the Champs de Mars. Yet the Imagineers had to work within the confines of a 50x50x50 feet space. I think the designers actually did a fine job of it.

eiffelrues.jpg

a9124.jpg

thelookingglass

Whatever happens with Test Track's refurb, I hope they don't spoil the scenic view of backstage Epcot and the cast member parking lot from the acceleration loop.
To be honest, it took a hell of a lot of rides before I even bothered to look around during the high speed loop and notice how much of backstage you can see.

lt94

Test Track Update more info found

Fri Jan 6 2012 5:52 PM
"Walt Disney World and General Motors said Friday they have renewed a longstanding sponsorship agreement, extending a deal that once seemed in doubt amid the giant automaker's bankruptcy.

As part of the new pact, Disney and GM will redesign Test Track, a marquee attraction at Epcot. The attraction will close in April and reopen with a theme focused on the GM brand Chevrolet in the fall. The attraction also will get a "Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot" in which guests will get to design their own custom concept vehicles.

Financial terms weren't disclosed. GM paid Disney $100 million for its previous 10-year sponsorship contract, according to a person familiar with the details. That contract lapsed into 2009, and the two parties had been extending it by short-term intervals in the interim.

We are excited to renew our long-term alliance with General Motors," George Aguel, senior vice president of corporate alliances for the Walt Disney Co., said in a prepared statement. "This unique agreement extends collaboration between two of the most recognized brands in the world, a relationship that spans over 30 years. The re-imagined Test Track Presented by Chevrolet will continue our shared goal of providing unique and innovative experiences that engage Disney guests in exciting and interactive ways."

per news article

janoimagine

Not looking like it, its sounding more and more like very little changes to the ride itself.

Dude do you actually read anything? Its been said numerous times that the track layout is not changing, however the show scenes will be completely redone as well as the pre and post show's.

MoxHair

Your tax dollars at work, folks. :rolleyes:

They payed off the loan to both the U.S. and Canadian Governments in April of 2010. Why do people think they are still taking money? The U.S. government is still holding onto GM stock hoping people realize how good the company has been doing (Ford and GM are by far outselling everyone else in the last 2 years) and buy the stock raising the price. GM is actually in really good shape right now so to invest into a ride at Epcot where 100s of millions of people will have the chance to ride it over the next decade or so does seem like a good investment

I think that says everything I wanted to say.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the info...

It's really just closed-minded thinking of Eisner though.
This attraction isn't about driving on the road...it's a test track...and when they're doing "the high speed loop" on a test track, they don't bring it up to 65 and stop accelerating.

If the current ride system is capable of more...then this refurb is the perfect time to push it to the limits.

That won't happen. The banked turns need to be banked more for the speed to be higher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom