Terror Alert Implications on WDW

tigsmom

As a NY'er who lost a neighbor on 9-11, I refuse to let these ba$ tards control my life. I'm going to WDW in July & I'm going to enjoy myself. When you give in to them, they win. Its as plain as that. If they really wanted to they could get you in your own home. The threat has been around for years yet everyone ignored it. Its not going to go away. Its just something we have to be aware of & learn to live with, like so many other nations around the world.

I believe in pre destination, when my time comes there is nothing I can do about it. If its in WDW, so much the better. I'll go with a smile on my face.

If you are really that scared then stay home because you won't enjoy yourself, so why spend the money.

wannab@dis

Originally posted by nicholas
.. if I'm gonna die, I wanna spend my last minutes having a blast at WDW!

Bad Pun?? :lol:

You are letting them win with this attitude. No offense, but that is what they want to happen. Terrorists are not in the business to "kill" people, but to "terrorize" them. The killing is only a means to an end and they fail many times.

Go, have fun, don't think twice about it. I don't ever think about something happening since I can't control it. Start second guessing yourself and the only thing you accomplish is being sick with worry. As someone else said, there's a higher chance that you will be hurt traveling to WDW than to be hurt in a terror attack while there.

DisneyFan 2000

Living in Israel I've learned something very important! Many things can keep me from going on vacation but a few nut cases won't be one reason! Don't let them scare you. Life just isn't worth living if lived in fear! As someone else said: Show them that you're scared is letting them win! I wish you all to have a great trip this summer and to come back with a trip report and many magical moments! :)

TownSquareSteve

This is a thread that brings back a ton of memories. I was a CM that worked on Sept. 11th and had to help clear MK without being able to tell people why we were kicking them out. I have watched how Disney has reworked their whole security system from the sept 12 on. Security at Disney is as good as it can get, but as Sept 11 showed us, no security system in the world is perfect. Disney uses the we're watching you technique. They not only have trained "visable" security guards all over, but undercover ones as well. These guards check every bag that come into the parks and although there are no metal detectors, like a earlier reply said they do have wands thay use when the alerts are brodcast (What color are we at now, Purple with yellow polka-dots??). Also they have Orange County Police on property at all times just in case. AS far as you being scared to go down to Disney, I say something is more likely happen to you on the way to the airport then it is as WDW. I will almost bet that after the first hour there, you will forget all about that stupid threat and have a blast. Disney is as safe as they can make it at you are at no more of a risk then when you walk down a downtown street. Go, have fun don't let those stupid terrorists win!!! You will be glad you did. Need anymore reassuring just give a shout back!!

~Steve~

P.S. Once you get down there go see Hall of Pres's and the American Adventure just to rub it in the terrorists faces:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!

Hell, if you gotta go, might as well go at the happiest place in the world

My thoughts exactly :lol:

There was some initial fear when I first heard about more possible attacks, especially since they said two guys were from canada and looking to take over a canadian plane. But my attitude about that is...what can I do? Nothing really. I COULD stay home and never go anywhere ever again. But...nah. I've been waiting two years for my trip and nothing's going to stop me! BWHAHA! :lol:

29 Days :sohappy:

barnum42

I'm another person who went to WDW shortly after 9/11. The only thing that looked like it was going to stop me was the international flight ban. Fortunatley that was lifted a couple of days before my departure date.

Thankfully I've not lived in a combat zone, but the Irish terrorists have been a threat as long as I have memories. They set off bombs in shopping areas, train stations, memorial parades amongst other targets. I have been evacuated from Paddington station due to a bomb and been subjected to security searches when going to see a play during a period of high terrorist activities.

No way on this planet am I going to be dictated to by a minority of lunatics.

Don't fret it, go, have a great time and tell us all about how much fun you had there. :wave:

Number_6

Besides, if you look at the way this summer is going, there are things that are far more likely to get hit if they are planning anything than Disney World. The first big thing is the coming opening for the WWII memorial. Then you have 4th of July celebrations, the DNC in Boston, RNC in New York then you have the Olympics. I don't want to be a downer, but I will say that I would be alot less worried about going to WDW(which I am doing the end of August) than I would be to any of those, and if I wanted to go to any of them, then I still would.

Brandon

Terror alert

I am going in 2 weeks and will stay at the Disney World Resort for 18 days. It is not stopping me or the 8 other family members that are going with me. The only thing in my mind that worries me is the bag check process. The security checks are not what you call a real check. They just look in the bags.

On the other hand I think if a terrorost comes in with a dirty bomb they can not be stopped by even an armed gaurd at the front gate.

Honestly I think they are looking at hurting the govenment more than tourism at Disney World. They probably do not even know how large it is or how it it is designed.

I have seen a couple of instances of problems even on the rides and Disney does not put up with anything. They are very good at making problems disapear, that is why they are the best at what they do.

Even in a hurricane that we were in at Disney World a few years back they took care of all of us like they had gone throuhg it before and a hurricane had never happened there before.

Just go and have fun, I think I would be more affraid going to Washington DC than Florida.

Merlin

Account Suspended
I agree wholeheartedly that living in fear is "letting the terrorists win", however let's not kid ourselves. Disney is a prime example of the type of target the terrorists like to go after. Most terrorist experts I've seen interviewed on CNN and in newspapers and magazines agree that the terrorists want to attack buildings and places that will make headlines. They also make it a goal to target anything that is representative of America. And Osama Bin Laden has stated many times that he wants Americans to feel unsafe. All this adds up to WDW being a more likely target than we'd like to believe. It is certainly representative of America, would definitely make huge headlines if attacked, and is generally thought of as a place where everyone feels safe.

In addition to all of this, security at WDW is not really all that great. The bag checking at the front gates probably makes a lot of guests FEEL safer as they enter the parks, but it has never seemed to me that they are really checking all that closely. Plus, there's quite a lot of backstage areas all over the property where "security" amounts to no more than an old white haired buy in a little booth checking for cast member ID's. Believe me, if terrorists really want to get in, they'll get in.

Not trying to be negative or scare anyone. And I'm sure I'll get some heat for this. But I'm just being realistic.

Brandon

I agree, but in my opinion the only way they would not get in even if WDW has armed gaurds everywhere would be if the army had tanks running around everywhere. I worked as a cast member for about 1 year and I agree 100% with you about the grey haired guy.

Honestly and I might be full of it though, do you really think they are thinking about WDW when they really want our government. In my opinion I think they are really looking at other places. They probably have never been to WDW and might even get it confused with Disneyland in California. Even my friends get them confused.

Sorry if I seem abraisive, all of your points are extremely good.

iluvstitch

I was just at WDW last week and didn't even think for one second about terrorism- being in WDW is great to forgetting all the things going on in the outside world.

The CM's have plenty of emergency/evacuation protocol in place in case something were to happen- so you can just relax and have fun in WDW and not have to think about it. -Stephanie

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Brandon
I agree, but in my opinion the only way they would not get in even if WDW has armed gaurds everywhere would be if the army had tanks running around everywhere. I worked as a cast member for about 1 year and I agree 100% with you about the grey haired guy.

Honestly and I might be full of it though, do you really think they are thinking about WDW when they really want our government. In my opinion I think they are really looking at other places. They probably have never been to WDW and might even get it confused with Disneyland in California. Even my friends get them confused.

Sorry if I seem abraisive, all of your points are extremely good.

Well the Twin Towers were a good example of an ideal terrorist target. They had nothing to do with the government. But to the terrorists, they were a symbol of America. Likewise, Walt Disney World is a symbol of America. As far as terrorists "not knowing WDW" or getting it "confused with Disneyland", you're grossly underestimating the terrorists. These are evil people, but it would be a grave mistake to assume they are idiots. Look at how well-planned and coordinated 9/11 was. This is an organization that knew precisely how to fly from Logan Airport to the Twin Towers with pinpoint precision. Believe me, knowing the layout of WDW would certainly not be a mystery to them.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Number_6
Besides, if you look at the way this summer is going, there are things that are far more likely to get hit if they are planning anything than Disney World. The first big thing is the coming opening for the WWII memorial. Then you have 4th of July celebrations, the DNC in Boston, RNC in New York then you have the Olympics. I don't want to be a downer, but I will say that I would be alot less worried about going to WDW(which I am doing the end of August) than I would be to any of those, and if I wanted to go to any of them, then I still would.

I certainly don't claim to personally be a terrorist expert, but it seems that a lot of the posts on this thread demonstrate a frightening lack of insight into what terrorists would consider an ideal target. I don't think the WWII Memorial is going to be under any kind of threat. I've never heard of terrorists making any kind of big deal about America's role in WWII. They're more concerned with things like the US presence in their "holy lands" and what they consider American "imperialism". Of all the examples you gave, the only one I think would really be under any kind of potential danger would be the Olympics.

Someone else mentioned that WDW was probably safe because it is "monstrously big". The thing is, that's exactly one of the things that DOES make it a potential target. Remember, the terrorists want to make headlines and hit us hard.

phlydude

You take more of a chance driving on I-95 or the Schuylkill xpwy than you do going to WDW in July. Don't worry about it and have fun. If anything is going to be hit in July, it would be Boston with the convention.

I am going to Boston to see in-laws over July 4 and to WDW in Aug. I am not fearing either of these trips.

Like everyone else is saying, the minute that we let threats of terroristic actions control how we live, that is the minute that the terrorists have won.

humphrybear

Just remember to have fun but keep an eye open for strange activity. Live life to the fullest and don't let anyone scare you from taking a vacation. You are more likely to have an accident on the way to work than be involved in a terrorist attack.

The magic of life is everwhere for those who look.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by joviacdan
This is kind of a sick point to make, but look at it this way - Disney World is a MONSTOROUSLY large place. What are the chances that you will be exactly where a bomber would be at that exact moment?

Given the size of the place, the amount of time you're there, hours in a day, it's got to be in the millions to one range.

WDW is about the size of San Francisco. If a dirty bomb were detonated in San Francisco, there would really be no safe spot in the entire city. Likewise, a dirty bomb set off anywhere in WDW would be devastating to ANYONE regardless of where they were on property. If the bomb goes off in Epcot and you're in Animal Kingdom, you're still going to be affected.

humphrybear

Originally posted by phlydude
You take more of a chance driving on I-95 or the Schuylkill xpwy than you do going to WDW in July. Don't worry about it and have fun. If anything is going to be hit in July, it would be Boston with the convention.

I have to agree with you. They are most likely to hit my town (Boston) becuase it's an American Political event. I will be avoiding the area becuase of the congestion and they are closing I-93 from 4pm until 5 am the following day, also all streets downtown near the FleetCenter - each day during the convention.

JohnMan

The last time I went to WDW was Sept. 16 2001. We were all ready to drive (from RI) if the planes were not flying, but luckily enough the planes were back up in the air so we left as planned.

Were we nervous - a little. Actually I felt somewhat guilty having a good time after the events five days previous (9/11). Especially since we walked onto everything - we actually begged to get off Splash Mountain!

Go and have a great time! Can't hurt to be a little more alert than usual though but don't be paranoid.

Kwit35

My daughter and I were, in the air, on our way to Disney, on the morning of Sept. 11. We never made it. We landed in Atlanta, we were told there had been a national tragedy, there would be no more flights that day, good luck to you. That was it. I waited in line, with my 1 year old, for 5 hours just to rent a car so that we could drive back to Philly. That was the most frightening day of my life; not knowing whether or not it was all over or if there was more to come, driving for two days alone with my 1 year old (who was so good during the whole thing). My husband and I are both volunteer fire fighters and have seen some pretty scary things, but this was by far the worst.
The next time we tried to go to Disney, it happened to be the same day that Bush went to war with Iraq. I chickened out the morning we were supposed to leave, after hearing the news and the fact the terror alert had just gone up. After what we went through on 9/11, knowing that on the morning of 9/11 it could have easily have been our plane they chose (left out of Philly, same time as the Boston planes), knowing I might have had to look my child in the eyes as she died...I couldn't get on the plane. But we finally did go, two days later. We were in Disney for 4 days. Once there, I let myself forget about all the bad things happening in the world and just lived for the moment. Disney has a way of making everything better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom