Terror Alert Implications on WDW

Bill

Account Suspended
So am I. And I'll have a blast!

People, no matter where you go, you have a chance of Terrorist attack. Yes, WDW is more likely than your own house. But everyone is overlooking one thing. The cardinal rule. Common Sense. And that is Risk-Taking. Hi everyone, when do you take a risk?

When is it worth it to take a risk? When there is a chance that the outcome for yourself by taking the risk is better than if you hadn't taken it. That is when you take a risk. You need to ask yourself if the outcome is better or not. If it is, go to WDW. If it's not, then stay home. :)

MagicalMonorail

I'm more scared of other Guests than I am of terrorists. Those crowds can be rough!

Seriously, you can't worry about terror. Just go and have a good time. It's what we all do, and we make the most out of our trips.

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by theimage44
I was just wondering if anyone, anyone at all is nervous about going to WDW in the summer in light of the recent terror warnings in America. I have been going to WDW for 21 straight years and have never been this nervous to go there. I leave on July 6th and I don't know if I should cancel my trip or not. PLEASE someone give me some help.

Thanks guys!

Youre fine, theres nothing to worry about... except possibly all those ECVs. :lookaroun

will_hsv

Originally posted by Merlin
WDW is about the size of San Francisco. If a dirty bomb were detonated in San Francisco, there would really be no safe spot in the entire city. Likewise, a dirty bomb set off anywhere in WDW would be devastating to ANYONE regardless of where they were on property. If the bomb goes off in Epcot and you're in Animal Kingdom, you're still going to be affected.

No, unless there is a large amount of explosives(way more than enough to be noticed) a dirty bomb would not affect the whole of WDW or any city for that matter. A dirty bomb is not a nuclear bomb, it is a conventional bomb that contains nuclear material. The nuclear fallout would be limited to the distance the explosive could throw the nuclear material. There would be no nuclear detonation and no mushroom cloud.

So the person who said what are the chances of you being in the exact spot at the exact time is still valid.

I would not worry to much about it. Go and enjoy.

PhotoDave219

....You people read too many spy novels :rolleyes:

Lemmie just say that large tour groups (brazillian or otherwise) cause me greater concern for me and my friends then terrorists.

will_hsv

Originally posted by PhotoDave219

Lemmie just say that large tour groups (brazillian or otherwise) cause me greater concern for me and my friends then terrorists.

I would agree with that :lol:

Kermit the Frog

theimage44,

Don't worry about being nervous about your trip. I've only been to WDW once since the attacks in '01, and I did feel a bit uneasy when I was there. I do want to go back there once I aquire a high enough level of finances. I want to show the terrorists that I certainly am not afraid of them. I also know more about the terrorists these days, and my fear of them striking WDW is not as great as it was before.

****NOTE - IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING ABOUT REALISTIC TERRORIST ATTACK POSSIBILITIES, THEN SKIP THE REST OF MY POST****

As for the likelyhood of an attack happening in WDW or DL, that is a very high risk. These terrorists are willing to strike anywhere in the U.S. that would cause a great loss of life and create a huge economic problem. They're not just after political or military targets. Don't forget that Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disneyland was a target that the terrorists were researching many years ago.

To get a better understanding of our enemy, you have to look into their mind and organization. These people are extremely willing to die for their god. They train (and are brainwashed) for many years at different camps and are taught almost every way possible to take someone's life. Everything from demolitions, to sniping, to kidnapping, to hand-to-hand combat. These people are extremely dangerous and are extremely devoted to their organization. Once they receive their orders to proceed on their mission, the only way to stop them is by killing them. They will not surrender and they cannot be bargained with. Also, these terrorists aren't going to do "small" attacks like shooting people in shopping malls or setting off pipe bombs in businesses. They know that we Americans know how to handle ourselves in times of need. We are a tough breed of people, and if Arabs and Muslims started attacking people then there will be enough hatred that every person of that decendent living here will be fearing for their lives. The terrorists know that they got our attention back in '01, and they've really got only once chance left to do a major attack before vigilanties start taking the law into their own hands.

It is also important to note that the terrorists don't all look the same (looking Arab that is). One of the goals is for them to blend into society. Here in the U.S. that means having English speaking people, and ideally Caucasion or African decendent. The more the terrorists blend in then it's that much greater of a chance that they'll succeed with their mission. Remember, their mission is here is to kill as many Americans as possible and to destroy the local and/or national economy. Whether you like it or not WDW is a perfect target if they can pull it off.

As for being physically safe in the Disney parks, there are only a few ways for an attack to succeed. The security checkpoints outside the gates will prevent any guests from bringing weapons into the park. I wouldn't worry about an attack with small arms or a small bomb though. That would be a waste of efforts. If the terrorists wanted to strike hard they would most likely do so with some kind of biological or radiation bomb that they could detonate from one of the many parking lots. The immediate damage would only hit one park (unless they use multiple bombs), and it would take a while for the damage to spread. That mainly depends on the strength and speed of the wind that day. Think about it though. How easy would it be to get a medium to large size van (or a charter bus) into a main parking lot or right next to a large hotel? Very easy. Almost too easy. Without getting into conspiracy theories, remember how much damage one medium size van packed with conventional explosives did to the building in Oklahoma City? Now how about a van like that pulling up to the Contemporary, Swan or Dolphin during the middle of the peak season?

One should assume that Disney has some kind of radiation detector on property, and possibly some kind of biological one too. However, assumptions can be very dangerous when they go bad. You also cannot eliminate the possibility of terrorists making their way backstage to create some kind of havoc. I don't know much about Disney's security, but it could rank up there with the level of the Secret Service. There are many secuirty precautions that we will never hear or know about.

As for the airspace restrictions, that is a joke. Unless there are military fighters circling constantly overhead or SAM sites on the ground, the terrorists can strike before anything can stop them. A while back there was a fear of terrorists using crop dusters to spray some kind of weapon over large crowds of people. I personally don't believe that that kind of an attack will happen. Crop dusters do operate regularly all around central Florida, but they are very slow and can be stopped before they can accomplish their mission. The type of aerial attack to fear is if A) they crash an aircraft into a structure on property, or B) if they detonate some kind of WMD over WDW. Those are both suicide missions and would be very difficult to stop. It's fairly easy for an pilot to create a flight plan close to WDW and suddenly divert from the flight plan to carry out the attack. It would all be over before anything could be done to stop it.

My personal belief is that there may be one day soon where the terrorists do decide to attack us once and for all. It would most likely be a very well coordinated attack using conventional and unconventional weapons. It would most likely be many attacks happening near or at the same time. One of the attacks may very well happen in WDW, but my belief is that they'll be after bigger targets. Namely large cities such as New York, Washington DC, and Los Angeles, and oil and water reservoirs. Right now there are many signs popping up that the U.S. intelligence is very worried about what might take place in the near future. We all need to be watchful for suspicious activity.

As some of you can tell I seem to know what I'm talking about. That is because I've been spending hours each day for the past few years researching this kind of thing. Lots of rumors and threats come and go, but something definitely feels odd about these latest attack warnings.

My advise is to keep living life as you normally do, but do keep a lookout for suspicious activity. Many things happen in the war on terror that we will never know about. New arrests and raids happen every day across the world. The Delta Force, Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, and Green Berets are active around the world fighting these terrorists in battles that most of us will never know about. Our government is out there to protect us and stop the bad guys, but we as citizens need to be ready in case the worst case scenario ever happens.

Thank you for putting up with my rather lengthy post. This is a subject that I deeply care about.

****IT IS NOW SAFE TO CONTINUE READING THIS THREAD. THANK YOU AND HAVE A PLEASANT DAY IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM***

Number_6

Originally posted by Merlin
I certainly don't claim to personally be a terrorist expert, but it seems that a lot of the posts on this thread demonstrate a frightening lack of insight into what terrorists would consider an ideal target. I don't think the WWII Memorial is going to be under any kind of threat. I've never heard of terrorists making any kind of big deal about America's role in WWII. They're more concerned with things like the US presence in their "holy lands" and what they consider American "imperialism". Of all the examples you gave, the only one I think would really be under any kind of potential danger would be the Olympics.

Someone else mentioned that WDW was probably safe because it is "monstrously big". The thing is, that's exactly one of the things that DOES make it a potential target. Remember, the terrorists want to make headlines and hit us hard.

The targets I mentioned are being talked about in the news. I work in newsradio and get the AP wires and have to keep an eye on cnn.com alot. The WWII Memorial is considered a possible target because it's unveiling is considered a major event for a national holiday and many politicians and dignitaries are expected to attend. And if you think that the DNC and RNC are not realistic targets, then you are fooling yourself. If they hit either one, you wipe out a good chunk of government and if you hit it big enough you do cause good economic damage to the city in which the event is held. If you take out the RNC, you may even get the President since he will likely be there to accept the nomination once again. And since 'Dubya' is the one that they are currently blaming for attacking Iraq and Afghanistan then hitting him would be pretty high up on their list. I'm not saying these are definite plans, but I think they are ones that come before WDW or DL at the moment.

EDIT: CNN.com has this to say: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/05/25/memorial.security/

theimage44

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Some of you are making me feel better, others are scaring me even more. Especially Merlin and the guy with the loooong post. I mean, I agree with most of it, how can anyone know at all what is gonna happen. I should live my normal life and go but I am young and am extremely afraid of not getting to do the things I want to accomplish in life.

Honestly, anybody out there who knows A LOT about terrorist intentions and/or Disney security please respond to this thread. I want to know if Disney is doing enough to make people at least 85% completely safe.

Again, thanks for every thread posted. I have a better understanding of things now.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Number_6
The targets I mentioned are being talked about in the news. I work in newsradio and get the AP wires and have to keep an eye on cnn.com alot. The WWII Memorial is considered a possible target because it's unveiling is considered a major event for a national holiday and many politicians and dignitaries are expected to attend. And if you think that the DNC and RNC are not realistic targets, then you are fooling yourself. If they hit either one, you wipe out a good chunk of government and if you hit it big enough you do cause good economic damage to the city in which the event is held. If you take out the RNC, you may even get the President since he will likely be there to accept the nomination once again. And since 'Dubya' is the one that they are currently blaming for attacking Iraq and Afghanistan then hitting him would be pretty high up on their list. I'm not saying these are definite plans, but I think they are ones that come before WDW or DL at the moment.

EDIT: CNN.com has this to say: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/05/25/memorial.security/

I'm certainly not claiming that those events haven't been mentioned on the news as possible terrorist attacks, but without getting too far off on a tangent or a rant, I honestly don't think that means a whole lot. The news loves to report just about every national event under the sun as a potential terror target. Not that there's anything wrong with being extra careful, but I just don't think that shows a tremendous understanding of the "statements" the terrorists are attempting to make. I tend to put more stock in the terrorist analysts and experts that are interviewed on the news rather than the headlines that are generally put out there for shock value and to get our attention. It would be in extremely poor taste to say that I'd be willing to bet no terrorist activity occurs at the events you mentioned. But if there was another way I could state my 90% confidence in that belief, then I would. As far as the Republican National Convention, or ANY event attended by the President, security is naturally going to be heightened. But that would be true whether or not we were in the midst of a war on terror. I feel pretty confident in stating that if the President were in any kind of danger at that event, it would be because of your average wacko and not because of some Al Quaida connection.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by theimage44
Thanks guys. Some of you are making me feel better, others are scaring me even more. Especially Merlin and the guy with the loooong post. I mean, I agree with most of it, how can anyone know at all what is gonna happen. I should live my normal life and go but I am young and am extremely afraid of not getting to do the things I want to accomplish in life.

Honestly, anybody out there who knows A LOT about terrorist intentions and/or Disney security please respond to this thread. I want to know if Disney is doing enough to make people at least 85% completely safe.

Again, thanks for every thread posted. I have a better understanding of things now.

Not my intention to frighten you. But from your original question, I interpreted it to mean that you wanted all honest opinions and that was what I was sharing. Don't get me wrong. I ALSO happen to agree with the statements that we can't live in fear. It is true that it's best to generally go about living your life and not give in to terrorist scum bags who want us to feel unsafe.

What I did NOT agree with, however, was the assurance many people were giving you that Disney is so safe because of some perceived superior level of security. Believe me, if the terrorists want to get in, they'll have a much easier time with Disney than they would a lot of other places. Your average airport, for example, has always had tighter security than Disney (even BEFORE 9/11). Still, if my words frightened you, I apologize.

As far as the "guy with the loooong post", in his defense, he did offer a disclaimer before he got into the frightening part.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by will_hsv
No, unless there is a large amount of explosives(way more than enough to be noticed) a dirty bomb would not affect the whole of WDW or any city for that matter. A dirty bomb is not a nuclear bomb, it is a conventional bomb that contains nuclear material. The nuclear fallout would be limited to the distance the explosive could throw the nuclear material. There would be no nuclear detonation and no mushroom cloud.

Oops! You're right. I was typing "dirty bomb" and thinking "nuclear bomb". You're absolutely correct in your description of a "dirty bomb". While it's certainly a weapon to be feared in the hands of a terrorist, it wouldn't cause the devastation of a nuclear weapon. Having said that, though, it is worth noting the possibility (although unlikely) that terrorists could get their hands on a nuclear weapon. If they ever do, they're going to want to get the most bang for their buck (no pun intended) and go after a really big target. WWII Memorial, political conventions, etc, most likely wouldn't qualify. Something like the Olympics or a US city such as NY, DC...or even WDW would be a more likely target.

BrerPete

MY TWO CENTS:

Given the devoted and, at times, fanatical nature of the true Disney World fan (not meant as an insult because I am including myself in this description), the terrorists would be more insane than they already are to attempt anything on Disney World. I am sure the millions of fans would hunt these degenerate dogs throughout the world should they even chip the paint on any one structure at Disney.

barnum42

Originally posted by PhotoDave219

I've never had a safety problem in Disney with large tour groups. What concerns do they create?

phlydude

Originally posted by Kwit35
They are cwazy man, cwazy! :D

There are other posts on other sites describing the thing the poeple in large tour groups do.

I think the worst is that they think it's funny to drop their own "dirty bomb" on a ride or a theatre.

They have been found stealing, exposing themselves, destroying things and harassing guests.

They are indeed crazy!

MagicalMonorail

Originally posted by BrerPete
MY TWO CENTS:

Given the devoted and, at times, fanatical nature of the true Disney World fan (not meant as an insult because I am including myself in this description), the terrorists would be more insane than they already are to attempt anything on Disney World. I am sure the millions of fans would hunt these degenerate dogs throughout the world should they even chip the paint on any one structure at Disney.

Namely, the forum members of WDWMAGIC.COM! :wave: :sohappy:

StevenT

REMEMBER, Walt Disney World is doing everything in their power to keep their guests safe. They have conisdered thoughouly the prospect of a terrorist attack. Bags are checked at park entrances, they have those brand new super high security road bocks for all service entrances, the airspace above the resort is restricted.

ALSO REMEMBER, whatever the US government and Donald Rumsfeld says about possible terroist attacks can't be taken 100% seriously. I personally think they raise the terrorist threat levels just to keep people prepared.

Just relax, and don't let it ruin your vacation. IF there were a terrorist attack at WDW, it seems to me that they would target the notable icon, Cinderella's Castle. So say they go by their more recent methods and fly a plane into the castle. Unless you are eating lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table, you'll probably be safe. So don't fret it, and enjoy your vacation!

theimage44

Original Poster
Well thanks guys...I mean its a tough decision for me to make whether I should go or not. The fact of the matter is it shouldn't be that tough. The people who replied with the fact that there is a good chance something can happen (i.e. Merlin, looong post guy) let me ask you this: Would you alter or even cancel your trip given my circumstances? I leave July 6th, I'm driving not flying, I am staying for 3 weeks (my family is nuts). Please respond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom